PDA

View Full Version : Question about setting up groundcloth in the wind

icdaywee
08-13-2013, 12:54
I had a question for those that use polycro/tyvek groundsheets. Do you use anything to help keep the groundsheet in place? I feel like i have not seen anybody really ask about this in any of the forums I frequent so it must not be that big of an issue, but in my mind, I just picture groundsheets flying every this way and that when setting up in the wind. :eek:

I have a REI groundcloth to use with my tent and am thinking about making the switch to a lighter fabric, especially once I pick up a Tarptent Moment DW. Is it as simple as just keeping a foot on the polycro while setting up the tent? and once the tent is in place over it, the sheet is going nowhere even in the wind?

I have setup the REI groundcloth in windy situations and have had groundcloth fold up underneath the tent if I forget to stakeout the cloth into the tent poles, or if it pops loose while setting up. Again in my mind I just picture that unstaked polycro gc just sneaking its way out of underneath the tent and then, FREEEEEEDOOOM and just flying away. Am I the only one worried about escaping flying sheets of plastic? Or do people have tips/suggestions on how to keep them under lockdown.

Thanks!

Onedawg
08-13-2013, 13:07
Easiest way to avoid it is just don't use a groundcloth. I have a tarptent contrail and I don't use anything under it.

Ezra
08-13-2013, 13:25
Could you work it under the tent once the tent is set up? I use tyvek & have never had an issue with wind.

grayfox
08-13-2013, 14:56
You can just stick a stake in it temporarily--or get fancy and tape a rubberband to one or more corners.

Odd Man Out
08-13-2013, 15:11
fasten it down on the up-wind side. The wind will keep it in place. I was at the beach a few weeks ago and a couple of people were trying to lay out their blanket and the wind just kept blowing it away. They put things down to hold it in place but always on the down-wind end. I was very close to getting up and taking 5 seconds to bury the last inch of the upwind edge in the sand and instantly, it would be fixed in place, but I decided to not get involved.

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 15:42
Question about setting up groundcloth in the wind
Every hiker should carry Thumbtacks or Push Pins in their packs.

daddytwosticks
08-13-2013, 16:14
Um, rocks? :)