PDA

View Full Version : Re-creating Earl Shaffer's Thru-Hike

Tuckahoe
08-13-2013, 16:01
I've been a reenactor and I work at a museum, so humor me on this...

We've all seen the threads about every category of thru-hike and hiker that there can potentially be. But what if there were someone or several someones who saught to re-create Earl Shaffer's 1948 thru-hike?

They may wish to thru, recalling a simpler time, or to honor Shaffer and the reasons he hit the trail Iin 48; they may have an interest in the 1940s era culture or an interest in the early history of the Appalachian Trail. Whatever the reaso, they have determined to hit the trail.

How far would you expect someone looking to re-create Shaffers hike to go?

What aspects of the hike would be important? Should they cover the original 1948 route as much as possible? What about reproductions of the material culture/equipment? What about food? Do they go as far as to re-create the daily menu? Where is compromise and concession to the modern world acceptable?

No right or wrong answers, just an exercise in a what if.

kofritz
08-13-2013, 17:19
It might be impossible to recreate the exact route. i have looked into the history of the routes and relocations and i recall the GA section used to be located several miles east of the current trail route. There was an article in a paper about a lady who walked the original GA route and noted some or most of the original route may have been abandonded, converted to the Bartram trail, etc. plus some roads may have been abandoned or re-routed, but it is interesting proposition.

WingedMonkey
08-13-2013, 20:15
http://www.whiteblaze.net/cmps.php?page=Earl_Shaffer_hike

Another Kevin
08-13-2013, 20:20
This topic has been discussed extensively here. Whether Shaffer's 1948 feat would still be called a "thru-hike" today is, many say, questionable. Perhaps the most detailed report on the topic is Jim McNeely's massive tome at http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/59018666?access_key=key-2fhev99kx7q2qj5ymq8n&allow_share=true . An historian like you might want to use that as a guide to the primary sources; I understand that Shaffer's diary is in the collection of the National Museum of American History,

Note that the report covers only his travels from Mt. Oglethorpe (then the southern terminus) to Rockfish Gap. I don't know of any secondary literature about Shaffer's travels on the Trail from Maryland north to Maine that is nearly as conveniently packaged. At the time, most of the Trail in the Cumberland Valley of Pennsylvania was an extended roadwalk, and presumably most of the roads are still there. Much of Maine might be difficult to reconstruct. With the Federal acquisition of the corridor and the reroute of the Trail to the mountains, the private lands over which the Trail had an easement have returned to private use, and most of the logging roads that it followed have fallen into disrepair. With appropriate permissions from the lumber companies, one could probably make a continuous path on the haul roads, but the route would be at best approximate - as, indeed, it was in 1948!

CoffeeCooler
08-13-2013, 20:28
Interesting question;
:-?this would be quite the "immersion event." The individual would have to use 1940's era clothing and equipment which could bring some safety concerns. I believe that Mr. Shaffer used a World War 2 style US Army Mountain Ruck if i'm not mistaken, and wore just regular clothing and possibly Army Issue boots. Consider the food he had to contend with as well. that would be some serious tough going.

As a former American Civil War Reenactor (Union Infantry, Co.F,48th New York Vols. and other impressions) I can say from personal experience that I,ve done a couple of long distance marches in full kit. Very uncomfortable. Our twenty first century bodies are not used to those kinds of hardships of times past. I had also served on active duty in the Army and did quite a few roadmarches and training with the army issue alice pack. Once you used these items you can really appreciate your modern internal frame backpack.

I think it would be quite fascinating. In a way I think his story would make for a good movie.

Kindest Regards;
CoffeeCooler
.:)

CoffeeCooler
08-13-2013, 20:31
Interesting question;
:-?this would be quite the "immersion event." The individual would have to use 1940's era clothing and equipment which could bring some safety concerns. I believe that Mr. Shaffer used a World War 2 style US Army Mountain Ruck if i'm not mistaken, and wore just regular clothing and possibly Army Issue boots. Consider the food he had to contend with as well. that would be some serious tough going.

As a former American Civil War Reenactor (Union Infantry, Co.F,48th New York Vols. and other impressions) I can say from personal experience that I,ve done a couple of long distance marches in full kit. Very uncomfortable. Our twenty first century bodies are not used to those kinds of hardships of times past. I had also served on active duty in the Army and did quite a few roadmarches and training with the army issue alice pack. Once you used these items you can really appreciate your modern internal frame backpack.

I think it would be quite fascinating. In a way I think his story would make for a good movie.

Kindest Regards;
CoffeeCooler
.:)

CoffeeCooler
08-13-2013, 20:32
sorry for the double post. computer gliches:
CoffeeCooler

Sly
08-13-2013, 20:49
Too bad Earl wasn't carrying a GPS!

peakbagger
08-13-2013, 20:52
A reenactment of Maine would be difficult as the trail has almost entirely been rerouted from the valleys to the ridgeline. Due to prohibitions against starting fires on private property the majority of the hike in Maine was from sporting Camp to sporting camp with some of the camps no longer in existence. He did comment in his anniversary thru hike that Maine had gotten much harder due to the relocation to the ridgeline.

Wise Old Owl
08-13-2013, 21:25
Honest I would love to see a map of where they think he hiked... I read the Debbie Doubter scientific explanation... that was referenced ... Science ... wow go figure.... He did it...

Tuckahoe
08-13-2013, 21:54
Coffee Cooler, all I had to read was "immersion event" to know there was another reenactor among us. Did quite a few of the ol' preservation marches back in the old days too.

For me personally I'd tend to think of such a hike less as a reenactment, and more along the lines of a bit of experimental archeology. The route would probably be the most difficult aspect of the original hike to re-create. But I have a grearer interest in the material culture and the food. It would be a fitting experience to have the same meals at the same places that Shaffer did.

Mags
08-13-2013, 22:42
Here's the gear list: http://www.earlshaffer.com/advice.html

Being a history buff myself, i would find this type of hike intriguing.

i find that vintage clothing can still work remarkably well (there's a reason why high end outdoor clothing is often made of wool ! :) ) , but vintage gear? Well...not so much in many cases!

otoh, this 60+ yr old advice still applies:

Good planning, a sturdy physique, exceptional determination, and ingenious adaptability are essential on a long and strenuous foot journey. Most attempts to travel end to end on the Appalachian Trail fail within two hundred miles. Above all, do not underestimate the difficulties involved or overestimate your own capabilities. Both good luck and good management are necessary. Preliminary experience on shorter trips is very helpful.

Venchka
08-13-2013, 22:52
I have some gear that would be period correct. A wool shirt and pants from Dad's WW II uniform. A Svea 123 stove. B.S.A. mess kit. Dad's 1948 vintage Konica camera. I was even alive in 1948. Where do I sign up?

Wayne

Tuckahoe
08-14-2013, 07:19
This topic has been discussed extensively here. Whether Shaffer's 1948 feat would still be called a "thru-hike" today is, many say, questionable. Perhaps the most detailed report on the topic is Jim McNeely's massive tome at http://www.scribd.com/fullscreen/59018666?access_key=key-2fhev99kx7q2qj5ymq8n&allow_share=true . An historian like you might want to use that as a guide to the primary sources; I understand that Shaffer's diary is in the collection of the National Museum of American History,

AK if am correct in my memory, that report was posted here a couple years back and the poor guy was raked over the coals. Many folks here took great offense as though, the author was attempting to drive Shaffer out of the pantheon of AT hiker gods. How dare the man attempt to shed light on what may have taken place with a historical event.

My thought is that such events should always be examined to know as much as possible what took place and to be able to place it in the proper context. It is understandable, but sometimes far too many people take an examination of events far too personally as though a clearer understanding some how harms them.

Wise Old Owl
08-14-2013, 08:11
I have some gear that would be period correct. A wool shirt and pants from Dad's WW II uniform. A Svea 123 stove. B.S.A. mess kit. Dad's 1948 vintage Konica camera. I was even alive in 1948. Where do I sign up?

Wayne

If you are interested I have a few photos of his kit in my gallery.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 09:15
Hard boiled eggs
air tights of peaches, and sardines...ect, ect...

and for your listening pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qafnJ6mRbgk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qafnJ6mRbgk

Marta
08-14-2013, 09:30
It would be difficult to reproduce his resupply system. In Walking With Spring he describes taking the bus (!) from various southern gaps to the general stores in tiny mountains towns and stocking up with cornmeal and the like. Local buses are long gone, and most of those towns are depopulated, with the stores rotting into the weeds. He also describes being taken in and fed by the fire tower wardens.

That early section of Walking With Spring is my favorite part of the book, for the way it conjures the vanished past.

What would be possible would be to hike the existing Trail wearing classic clothing, carrying classic gear, eating retro food. In 2006 one of my hiking partners had spent about a week hiking with a couple of brothers, older fellows who were carrying a cast iron skillet and cooking over wood fires every night. I think it would be pretty cool to try it.

jeffmeh
08-14-2013, 10:37
While not a piece of historically accurate equipment (which can be forgiven, given that it will be virtually impossible to traverse the historically accurate route), if you make me an Ulfberht I will carry it the whole way. :)

Venchka
08-14-2013, 11:08
While I bought it in 1969, I do have a German cotton canvas rucksack. They only "modern" deviation is the vinyl bottom covering instead of the traditional leather. I probably couldn't afford the all leather version.
Reading the equipment & food list from Mags' link, there isn't a lot of difference today.

Wayne

Sarcasm the elf
08-14-2013, 11:44
Very cool idea and thread, i particularly like that you describe it as experimental archeology.

Logistically i see a lot of the gear and techniques as being burdensome to reenact. Some of the things he did such as carrying a hatchet in order to cut fresh pine boughs each night to use as a ground pad, using the same boots for the entire trip but getting them resoled repeatedly, subsisting largely on grain meal and being willing to go hungry when the food supply ran, all seem like they would be very difficult to do now adays ( of course they were difficult back the too.)

Lastly i would throw in that if you're dreaming up a plan to reenact the journey that was done by "The Crazy One" then it would help if you were a little crazy yourself.:sun

Mags
08-14-2013, 12:37
Reading the equipment & food list from Mags' link, there isn't a lot of difference today.

Wayne

It is more what you DON'T bring. Namely a axe/hatchet is the main thing that comes to mind. And using pine boughs instead of a pad. Cooking over campfires not as much of a problem on the AT, but some areas it is a definite "no-no".

Lots of WW2 surplus which may be somewhat hard to track down in some cases

A lot of it looks like 10th Mtn Division surplus equipment.

The pack, obviously (http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-ARMY-1943-WWII-10th-MOUNTAIN-DIVISION-BACKPACK-RUCKSACK-FIELD-PACK-/111140495302?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19e07d5fc6)

M1942 (http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/10495-stove-mountain-m-1942/) stoves (though Earl did not use one)

Mountain troop cookset (http://compare.ebay.com/like/151049646235?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar)

Wool blankets or the 10th mtn division sleeping bag
http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_gear_sleeping_bag.php

A surplus wool sweater is still the same design as ~70 yrs ago (though, harder to find in wool vs acrylic). I actually have this sweater and it is my favorite "comfy/beater" sweater. :)
http://stores.alleghenywholesale.com/-strse-235/US-MILITARY-100-pct--WOOL/Detail.bok

Light wool or canvas pants?

Ragg wool socks

The shoes would be the hardest point to use as a recreation I would think. Earl used Russel Bird Shooter boots IIRC. Very expensive, even used:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/112251797/vintage-russell-moccasin-bird-shooter?utm_source=google&utm_medium=product_listing_promoted&utm_campaign=vintage_mid&gclid=CKDrg5Ou_bgCFY1FMgodRlwAtA

Otherwise, you have to get them custom made:
http://www.russellmoccasin.com/boots_traditional/traditional_birdshooter.html

A Daisy-mae hat for rain? (Definitely ww2 vintage. Have some photos of my grandfather in one)
http://olive-drab.com/od_soldiers_clothing_combat_ww2_caps_field.php

coach lou
08-14-2013, 12:50
I've said a number of times here, his walk was unique and can't be duplicated. His gear is a minor issue.

He used road maps and available topos, that did not have the AT on them.
The AT was incomplete and overgrown in many places.
Trail Majic?!?!?!?!?! Folks in some areas didn't even know it was there.
Trail food was what he could scavenge.
His thumb was his shuttle.

Awesome I say......I so envy the rawness of it all. He was entitled to breath, walk,and buy his food.

CoffeeCooler
08-14-2013, 14:08
Tuckahoe glad to see another reenactor and other history buff on the board. I've been out of reenacting for about 5 years now. Funny, i've met alot of hikers while i was in the reenacting hobby. Gotta be a connection there.:)

Alot of that equipment Mr, Shaffer used is still available. There are even vendors out there that can make reproductions of this gear. (very food durable reproductions too).
Observing that most those places he hiked in are grown over and long gone it would be kind of nice to see the general area where he passed through.
Also looking over his gear list on his website it seems the total pack weight was about 20 pounds. perhaps he could be considered a lightweight hiker.:)

peakbagger
08-14-2013, 14:26
I am confused on the contention that he didn't have maps of the trail, but it may be that I am only familiar with New England. Maine had a detailed guide book with maps by 1932 most likely a year earlier. CT Mass Vt and NH were published in 1933. The preface in my third guide to the Appalachian trail in New England edition refers to there being a set of 5 guidebooks that covered the entire trail around 1933. Therefore guides were published although whether or not the trail was actually cut on the route is another story. Reading the detailed research on the southern portion of his first hike it does appear as though portions of the trail may have grown in during the war or never existing in spots and therefore he had to make it up as he went along. My general experience is that new trails tend to disappear quickly back into the woods until the top soil is compacted or eroded out, given the newness of the trail in sections I expect laid out but did not get enough use to really establish a treadway and it just grew back in during the war

In Maine, I have talked to more than a few folks who attempted to hike sections in the 1950s and 1960s that encountered massive clear cuts that crossed the trail route making route finding difficult at best.

daddytwosticks
08-14-2013, 15:44
How did Earl do it without cell phones, shuttlers, trail magic, and the internet? :)

coach lou
08-14-2013, 15:47
How did Earl do it without cell phones, shuttlers, trail magic, and the internet? :)

Exactly my point, you can't do it like he did it.

Another Kevin
08-14-2013, 16:01
AK if am correct in my memory, that report was posted here a couple years back and the poor guy was raked over the coals. Many folks here took great offense as though, the author was attempting to drive Shaffer out of the pantheon of AT hiker gods. How dare the man attempt to shed light on what may have taken place with a historical event.

My thought is that such events should always be examined to know as much as possible what took place and to be able to place it in the proper context. It is understandable, but sometimes far too many people take an examination of events far too personally as though a clearer understanding some how harms them.

I intended to express no opinion about the report's conclusions: I was posting the link because the report's bibliography gives not only the identty of the primary sources, but also whose collections have them - I surmised that would give a useful starting point for further investigations.

I am confused on the contention that he didn't have maps of the trail, but it may be that I am only familiar with New England. Maine had a detailed guide book with maps by 1932 most likely a year earlier. CT Mass Vt and NH were published in 1933. The preface in my third guide to the Appalachian trail in New England edition refers to there being a set of 5 guidebooks that covered the entire trail around 1933. Therefore guides were published although whether or not the trail was actually cut on the route is another story.

There definitely were guidebooks available from ATC. But Shaffer, according to his own accounts, didn't have them! He wrote to ATC, got some promotional literature back, and never ordered the actual guides.

Tuckahoe
08-14-2013, 17:49
AK no worries. I was just recalling what so sadly became a poop storm and how badly the guy was treated by some here on WB

da fungo
08-14-2013, 19:11
Very interesting topic - and I'm glad it hasn't degenerated to a "poop storm" (yet!).

Many may disagree, but I think that there is currently a body of folks who are recreating the spirit and intent of Earls original hike. As I recall his book, he undertook the hike as a form of self-therapy to recover from some really bad WWII experiences.

Today, there are a lot or Iraqi and Afghan war vets doing the same thing: trying to recover from their war by going the distance of the AT. Some use their issue field gear (admittedly and thankfully much improved from the 1940s), some buy new kit.

This is just an observation, and not intended as an objection. It's a great idea - I hope someone will carry it through.

Tuckahoe
08-14-2013, 19:18
Da fungo, I dont see how anyone could disagree with what you said.

CoffeeCooler
08-14-2013, 22:43
I'd have to second that..:)
regards;
CoffeeCooler

ki0eh
08-14-2013, 23:02
This year we have had not only the group explicitly walking off the war, but also the first Great Eastern Trail thru hikers who had to channel much of Earl's way finding spirit.

Marty Dominy in GA was working in a project identifying all the various relocations over the years. He presented at the NJ biennial meeting a few years back about it. I do not know the current status of his project. Certainly much of Earl's 1948 route would be on posted private land now. Many of the road walks would be much busier now or cut off by newer highways too. The Harrisburg Railways trolley from Marysville across the Susquehanna is of course long gone. (The AT did not go thru Duncannon until Earl and associates moved it there in 1955. )