PDA

View Full Version : 2 to 3 months long hike in USA - suggestions for a foreigner

hikert
08-13-2013, 16:35
Hey all,

Lately I was planning to thru-hike the PCT northbound, but a new studying oppurtunity showed up. As a result, I will probably be occupied with my studies from November to Mid July, but I feel I owe it to myself to do a thru-hike/long hike. So here I am, open to suggestions for any hike/combo between hikes which will take place between the end of July to the end of August (in total, around 2-3 months). I am looking for a trail which will cover the beautiful scenery and nature of the US.

Waiting for your responses,

Eyal

Omaha_Ace
08-13-2013, 16:43
Continental Divide

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?414-Continental-Divide-Trail

Venchka
08-13-2013, 17:27
Continental Divide

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?414-Continental-Divide-Trail

between the end of July to the end of August (in total, around 2-3 months) A typo I hope.

Agreed. The Continental Divide Trail southbound from Glacier National Park at the Canadian border through Yellowstone National Park and, time permitting, a few days in Grand Teton National Park. By most trail journal accounts, that is an easy 2 month trip. There are airports close to both ends: Kalispell, Montana on the north (Glacier N.P.) end and Jackson, WY on the south end.
Trail Journals. Read the Southbound accounts. Overlook the hardships of snow pack and high streams for those starting in June. July is much better.

Wayne

Mags
08-13-2013, 19:20
The Colorado Trail is 485 miles and takes about 5 wks for the average person to do. Still feeling up for longer hiking? The John Muir Trail in the Sierra is of course a classic.

Slo-go'en
08-13-2013, 19:53
So, your looking for a mid August to mid October and maybe into November hike?

I would suggest SOBO on the AT for that, or maybe SOBO on the PCT. The AT has the advantage in that it takes little or no planning. You can wing it as you go, unlike the PCT which needs a bit more logistical planning or the CDT which takes a lot of logistical planning.

Dogwood
08-13-2013, 20:27
As a foreigner with little budget constraint I would mix it up in several places . Dropping 7 wks cummulatively on CT and JMT thru-hikes would give you a good feel for mountainous above tree line hiking with my nod being given to a JMT thru-hike IF having to choose between the CT AND JMT. Then follow it up with some NPs like the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Acadia, Olympic, etc If you have the do re mi throw in Haleakala or Hawaii Volcanoes NPs. I think that would give a full 3 months to tasting some of the United States BEST hiking opportunities.

Venchka
08-13-2013, 21:38
You forgot southern Utah. The whole thing. From Four Corners to Nevada.
In the meantime, please do not leave Texas without hiking in Big Bend National Park. I'll get the link to a Big Bend forum tomorrow.

Wayne

hikert
08-14-2013, 00:50
Hey.

Thanks all.

First, thanks to Omaha_Ace who noticed the typo - it should be "End of July to end of October" (can't find how to edit here).

I was looking for the option to do the PCT southbound, but it seems like I would be a contest with time, and I don't want to feel pressured while i am hiking (reach the Sierras till 1st of October, not seeing the trail for the first 500 miles) .

For the CDT, I heard it should be done after u have an idea about what is a thru-hike (gear, navigation, time planning, experience in the wild), and usually it is done after ud did the PCT.

The CT + JMT can be a good option (how long is the full JMT? Is there a connection between the trails?)

I will probably pass for now the AT, cause i am looking for more sceneary hiking, and I heard that in the AT u r mostly hiking in the woods (and get to know thru-hike and friends on the way, but for now that is what i am looking for)

Recently I finished to buy all my UL gear, so i am ready to test it, and get an idea of what it is to be a thru-hiker. The experience of hiking 2-3 months, will show if I am a paerson who can still enjoy the experience of thw wild while hiking 20-30 miles a day.

I am open to anymore suggetions and ideas.

Thanks a lot,

Eyal

Hikemor
08-14-2013, 08:48
The north half of the PCT would meet your time frame:
Truckee, California to Manning Park, British Columbia; approx. 1500 miles. It would also provide a social opportunity to hike with other thru-hikers/long section hikers, if desired.

A mix of shorter hikes in the western states is also a good option:
Colorado Trail, already mentioned
John Muir Trail, approx. 200 miles in California, Yosemite Valley to Mt. Whitney
PCT SOBO, approx. 500 miles, Truckee, California to Walker Pass, California
Wonderland Trail, 90 miles, around base of Mt. Rainier, Washington
Olympic National Park, Washington, Glacier National Park, Montana and many others

Venchka
08-14-2013, 09:09
Hey.

Thanks all.

First, thanks to Omaha_Ace who noticed the typo - it should be "End of July to end of October" (can't find how to edit here).

I was looking for the option to do the PCT southbound, but it seems like I would be a contest with time, and I don't want to feel pressured while i am hiking (reach the Sierras till 1st of October, not seeing the trail for the first 500 miles) .

For the CDT, I heard it should be done after u have an idea about what is a thru-hike (gear, navigation, time planning, experience in the wild), and usually it is done after ud did the PCT.

The CT + JMT can be a good option (how long is the full JMT? Is there a connection between the trails?)

I will probably pass for now the AT, cause i am looking for more sceneary hiking, and I heard that in the AT u r mostly hiking in the woods (and get to know thru-hike and friends on the way, but for now that is what i am looking for)

Recently I finished to buy all my UL gear, so i am ready to test it, and get an idea of what it is to be a thru-hiker. The experience of hiking 2-3 months, will show if I am a paerson who can still enjoy the experience of thw wild while hiking 20-30 miles a day.

I am open to anymore suggetions and ideas.

Thanks a lot,

Eyal

CT - JMT : No connection. The two trails are separated by several hundred miles. However, there is a lot to do in between. An Epic Road Trip from the west end of the CT in Durango, CO to either the north or south end of the JMT. If you don't have a car, you may wish to pick either the PCT or CDT and use planes, trains or buses to access the trail heads.
Personally, I don't see the need to "practice" on the AT or PCT before hiking the CDT. Equip yourself with the proper navigation materials and hardware and start hiking.
Read these trail journals. Folks who have hiked both the AT and PCT still loose the trail occasionally while hiking the CDT. It's all part of the experience.
Trail journals: http://www.trailjournals.com/journals/continental_divide_trail/
Big Bend National Park is less than a day's drive from College Station. Assuming you have a car. If not, look for other folks at Texas A&M who are going to Big Bend and share a ride. A great place to practice backpacking from November to March.
Big Bend Chat: http://www.bigbendchat.com/portal/forum/index.php
You need to get a map of the U.S. and Canada. Mark all the long trails on it. Get a sense of the transportation requirements to get to-from the hike you are interested in.
3 months (August-September-October are the best 3 months) southbound on either the CDT or PCT would be a great hike. Have fun!

Wayne

Venchka
08-14-2013, 09:50
Outdoor Adventures at Texas A&M. Trips. Rental gear. Information.

http://recsports.tamu.edu/programs/outdoor_adventures/

Wayne

hikert
08-14-2013, 11:27
Venchka, thanks! for bosth PCT and CDT Sobo, i'm not sure how far i will get in 3 months... but i still keep it as an option. CT - JMT and a road trip is possible too :) Also, a shorter version of the NoBo PCT, as Hikemor suggested, can be a good option.

Big Bend NP can be a nice place to check my new gear (which I bought just recently - no need for any rental, but thanks).

For sure I will practice some hiking before doing any of the options mentioned - especially if I will chosse to do the CDT.

Venchka
08-14-2013, 14:24
The rental gear was new to me. Someone else may find it useful.

The Lone Star trail is a lot closer to College Station. Not exactly "wild", but it is a trail.

http://lonestartrail.org/

One more option...

Go North!

http://www.gorp.com/parks-guide/travel-ta-banff-national-park-hiking-camping-sidwcmdev_057378.html

Wayne

hikert
08-15-2013, 00:42
Thanks. Great option!