PDA

View Full Version : Albert Mtn, NC

No Directions
08-13-2013, 19:56
A friend and I are doing a two day hike from Deep Gap, NC to Winding Stair Gap, NC this weekend and would like to camp somewhere with a view. Can anyone tell me if there is a place to camp at or near the top of Albert Mountain? I am open to other suggestions if they are near the middle of my hike. My buddy and I will be hammocking but we don't want to create a new campsite.

Thanks.

Gray Blazer
08-13-2013, 20:09
I have tent camped near the parking lot/gate on the north side. It's a short 15 min walk or less to the tower.

Marta
08-13-2013, 20:22
It's more common to tent near the top of Standing Indian Mountain for a morning view. There's no water up there.

No Directions
08-13-2013, 20:29
It's more common to tent near the top of Standing Indian Mountain for a morning view. There's no water up there.

That is only 2 miles into our trip and we have to cover 24+ miles in 2 days.

The Ace
08-13-2013, 20:35
There is a little grassy space right off the trail in back of the fire tower on the top of Albert Mountain. Literally less than seventy five feet from the tower. Room for 1 or 2 tents, but it's tight. No water. It can get windy, but I have slept comfortably there. The rest of the area around the fire tower is all rock. You can hike another 3/4 mile past Albert Mountain -- northbound and downhill -- and you will get to a shelter. Not positive, but I believe that's Big Spring Shelter. There is a lot of good space around the shelter to pitch a tent if you choose.

The Ace
08-13-2013, 20:38

There is a piped spring to the left just before the path to the summit of Standing Indian Mountain -- heading northbound. However, no water on Albert Mtn.

No Directions
08-13-2013, 20:39
There is a little grassy space right off the trail in back of the fire tower on the top of Albert Mountain. Literally less than seventy five feet from the tower. Room for 1 or 2 tents, but it's tight. No water. It can get windy, but I have slept comfortably there. The rest of the area around the fire tower is all rock. You can hike another 3/4 mile past Albert Mountain -- northbound and downhill -- and you will get to a shelter. Not positive, but I believe that's Big Spring Shelter. There is a lot of good space around the shelter to pitch a tent if you choose.
Thank you. That's what I am looking for.

The Ace
08-13-2013, 20:44
If you are going this weekend be aware that there can be some thunderstorms. Those grounding wires off of the tower are mightly close by.

daddytwosticks
08-14-2013, 07:25
Thank you. That's what I am looking for.
Big Springs Shelter has been removed and camping was not allowed in that area when I went through in late May. About two miles further north is the new shelter replacing Big Springs. :)

Magic_Mack
08-14-2013, 11:18
Nasty weather this weekend

The Ace
08-14-2013, 20:48
Big Springs Shelter has been removed and camping was not allowed in that area when I went through in late May. About two miles further north is the new shelter replacing Big Springs. :)

Is there a sign at the location where the Big Springs Shelter was saying no camping? I recall that there are a lot of flat spaces in that area separated by clumps of rhododendrons.

For the OP, if my math is right, that's a little over 17 miles from Deep Gap to the new shelter which must be near Long Branch Trail. Add in two significant ascents and that's a serious day's hike.

No Directions
08-14-2013, 21:24
Is there a sign at the location where the Big Springs Shelter was saying no camping? I recall that there are a lot of flat spaces in that area separated by clumps of rhododendrons.

For the OP, if my math is right, that's a little over 17 miles from Deep Gap to the new shelter which must be near Long Branch Trail. Add in two significant ascents and that's a serious day's hike.
Yeah we probably wont go more than 15 miles. We have to run shuttle too.

daddytwosticks
08-15-2013, 07:32
Yeah we probably wont go more than 15 miles. We have to run shuttle too.
There were signs posted in the area all along the left side of the trail going north. Is there a spot you can squeeze in that's not "near" the signs? Probably. Good luck and have a great hike. :)

Seatbelt
08-15-2013, 12:47
Sounds like you are hiking NOBO. If that is the case, I recall a decent small clearing right before you climb Albert Mt. It is on your left hand side just before the gravel road junction at the base of the climb up. Like others have said, get your water beforehand.

daddytwosticks
08-15-2013, 16:26
Sounds like you are hiking NOBO. If that is the case, I recall a decent small clearing right before you climb Albert Mt. It is on your left hand side just before the gravel road junction at the base of the climb up. Like others have said, get your water beforehand. Yup...right next to the FS road. Logs/rocks for seats also, plus a fire ring, if memory serves me well. :)

jbwood5
08-15-2013, 17:22
Sounds like you are hiking NOBO. If that is the case, I recall a decent small clearing right before you climb Albert Mt. It is on your left hand side just before the gravel road junction at the base of the climb up. Like others have said, get your water beforehand.

I camped in that spot many years ago. There was a dead tree overhanging so check for that (probably gone by now). Also, I had a bear come sniffing and snorting outside my tent in the early morning. Thankfully I had hung my food and bear went away. There are times when there can be a bit of bear activity around standing Indian and often in the commercial campground below the ridge.

Nooga
08-15-2013, 19:54

Is the spring at the former site of Big Springs shelter marked?

dmax
08-15-2013, 21:04
On loop hikes I enjoy staying at Betty Creek. There is good camping by the trail and down by the creek.

No Directions
08-15-2013, 21:49
Thanks for the info. I'll post pics and a trip report when I return.