PDA

View Full Version : is it a thru hike

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 14:54
coming off the beating a dead thread, figured we could always use some new debating material.

i am attempting to thru hike in 2014. i sectioned from springer to damascus march 23rd to may 1st this past spring. rather than do the same section again next year, im starting at springer, taking the bmt until it hooks back up with the at, so i could avoid the pack, and get into the backcountry.
so , would you consider this a thru hike?

evan_rolltide
08-14-2013, 15:00
who cares? By whose definition? There's a ton of different ideas about what qualifies and what doesn't and it really doesn't matter anyway. You are hiking "through" every area anyway so sure.

Malto
08-14-2013, 15:00
You would get your 2000 mile patch. You would be walking from Springer to Maine uninterrupted. I would probably call it a slight variation of an AT thru hike.

canoe
08-14-2013, 15:05
what matters is what you think. That is all that matters. No matter what you decide others will disagree

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:06
I guess technically speaking if you finish by your start date of last year...then yes...but man your pushin it close :D should you succeed though, you get a speed record out of the deal too.;)

what was your start date this past Spring?...can't remember

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 15:08
I guess technically speaking if you finish by your start date of last year...then yes...but man your pushin it close :D should you succeed though, you get a speed record out of the deal too.;) I already know what my answer is I really don't care I just want to give us something all you about the next couple of hours I'm bored with the other threads

JustaTouron
08-14-2013, 15:09
IMHO, yes.

First it is unquestionable that you would qualify for the 2000 miler.

But I see the difference more as style and particular challenges than anything else.

A section hiker has challenges that a thru hikers does not, specifically getting to and from various trailheads, a loss of being in hiker shape/mode as they hike for two weeks and then spend the next 50 behind a desk, etc. A thru-hiker has specific ones too -- resupply, hiker hunger, etc. Which one does your hike have?

Per the the smokies you are a thru hikers.

If waitress in some trail town asks you if you are thru hiking the AT, and you respond "yes", you would not in my mind be lying. If you say no, and nothing else you would be being deceptive. And if you explained your exact route to her you would just confuse her.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:11
I already know what my answer is I really don't care I just wanted to give us something we all could bitch about the next couple of hours I'm bored with the other threadsfixed it up a bit, I think this is where you were headed? ;)

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 15:11
I guess technically speaking if you finish by your start date of last year...then yes...but man your pushin it close :D should you succeed though, you get a speed record out of the deal too.;)

what was your start date this past Spring?...can't remember
refer to my op.

alright, march 23rd

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:15
refer to my op.

alright, march 23rdah...duh!

Ok, when will you start in 2014...maybe jan 1st...you could do it....

the real question is, assisted or unassisted?

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 15:17
ah...duh!

Ok, when will you start in 2014...maybe jan 1st...you could do it....

the real question is, assisted or unassisted?yes .

i dont plan on leaving till mid march.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:19
But you'll really need to be on your "A" game...time savers

Bury your food stores (cache)
Don't bury Poo, just leave it lay on the ground...dogs do it, bears do it too, pack out the TP though, better still, use a tent stake and pack it out.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:20
yes .

i dont plan on leaving till mid march.
Oh....then NO, not a snowball's chance in Hell :D

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 15:20
socks, it would appear youo're dominating the discussion here.

JustaTouron
08-14-2013, 15:24
Just out of curiosity: Is your route longer or shorter? And does it allow you to skip hard stretches of the trail for easier ones, or is it harder, or about the same?

coach lou
08-14-2013, 15:25
refer to my op.

alright, march 23rd

He He!.......You know I never though of it until I saw it in print. Why go thru that cold freezing rain/sleet /ice crap again.....why not leave in April.......you can then cruise into Trail days!

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:25
socks, it would appear youo're dominating the discussion here.Your right, got carried away, thanks for the heads up :o...Next!

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 15:29
Just out of curiosity: Is your route longer or shorter? And does it allow you to skip hard stretches of the trail for easier ones, or is it harder, or about the same? I'm not sure but I believe the distance would be longer as far as difficulty I found the South fairly easy compared to the northeast I still have to look at the logistics of resupply

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 15:30
refer to my op.

alright, march 23rd

He He!.......You know I never though of it until I saw it in print. Why go thru that cold freezing rain/sleet /ice crap again.....why not leave in April.......you can then cruise into Trail days! simply because I love the suck

The Ace
08-14-2013, 15:30
coming off the beating a dead thread, figured we could always use some new debating material.

i am attempting to thru hike in 2014. i sectioned from springer to damascus march 23rd to may 1st this past spring. rather than do the same section again next year, im starting at springer, taking the bmt until it hooks back up with the at, so i could avoid the pack, and get into the backcountry.

Yes. When you are done, let me know and I will send you a certificate that you can display. I will let HikerMom choose the appropriate icon to add here.

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 15:32

Yes. When you are done, let me know and I will send you a certificate that you can display. I will let HikerMom choose the appropriate icon to add here. I'm betting it's a :-)

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:32
One final thought...(on this page). There is one option, it entails many long waking hours, and some illegal IV's, it's also not very healthy. This I can't be party to.

24 hours a day walking x current available record 59 days=1,416 hours=credit past trail time to where you left off....never mind, there an't enough hours in a day....you'll never make it.

Betty Doht

Sarcasm the elf
08-14-2013, 15:35
socks, it would appear youo're dominating the discussion here.

Whats wrong? Don't like the competition?:D

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:38
Whats wrong? Don't like the competition?:D
Is it the next page yet?:D

Dogwood
08-14-2013, 15:39
Hikerboy, you are too intelligent, conscientious, and generally have too much of a great attitude that you should feel the need to get into a debate about whether or not your anticipated hiking plans should be labeled as a thru-hike. Based on what you said you will be completing another hike of the AT. Keep the bigger picture in front of you. There's way to much emphasis placed on the labeling of what a thru-hike means. Surely, you don't hike so you can label yourself as a thru-hiker. Do you?

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:39
Is it the next page yet?:D
on sceond thought...(ok 11th)...I'm gonna bank my comments for later on when this thread really gets goin...:D then make a full frontal assault.;)

coach lou
08-14-2013, 15:40
Yes. When you are done, let me know and I will send you a certificate that you can display. I will let HikerMom choose the appropriate icon to add here.

HB, I think you should invite this guy to the Cafe'3:welcome

Sarcasm the elf
08-14-2013, 15:41
Short answer about you specifically?

You've already hiked more miles than most of the "thru" hikers you started with this spring.

If you go ahead with your 2014 plan, you will have hiked the entire trail and you will have hiked more lifetime A.T. Miles than most people who have completed a purist thru hike.

If you ever find a 2000miler who wants to pull rank on a 4000miler, because their "thru" was more correct, then they're doing it wrong.:)

Either way, you've hiked more miles than me.

coach lou
08-14-2013, 15:42
Hikerboy, you are too intelligent, conscientious, and generally have too much of a great attitude that you should feel the need to get into a debate about whether or not your anticipated hiking plans should be labeled as a thru-hike. Based on what you said you will be completing another hike of the AT. Keep the bigger picture in front of you. There's way to much emphasis placed on the labeling of what a thru-hike means. Surely, you don't hike so you can label yourself as a thru-hiker. Do you?
He already has the Tatoo design!

snifur
08-14-2013, 15:42
You need to complete the hike within 356 days of the start date of your section hike. You will not be a purist. And either way you will only qualify for the section hiker 2000 miler certificate and not the thru-hiker status that accompanies the entitlers certificate. You are not attempting to thru-hike the AT. You are attempting to finish the AT with a BMT hook. Just accept that you will be a section hiker with a thru-hikers heart and mind. I will not judge you and neither will others.
Who is going to run the café? How many miles will you be able to do to keep up your daily post quota? I think you need to spend many more long days reconsidering your desire to hike with your café responsibilities as chief poho or whatever your duty title is in there.

coach lou
08-14-2013, 15:44
Short answer about you specifically?

You've already hiked more miles than most of the "thru" hikers you started with this spring.

If you go ahead with your 2014 plan, you will have hiked the entire trail and you will have hiked more lifetime A.T. Miles than most people who have completed a purist thru hike.

If you ever find a 2000miler who wants to pull rank on a 4000miler, because their "thru" was more correct, then they're doing it wrong.:)

Either way, you've hiked more miles than me.
When driver & I did the desert hike of '12'. We chatted with a elderly fella that had a 4000 miler patch.....he was with other thrus. I was thinking that he had to get a 6000 miler patch.

The Ace
08-14-2013, 15:47
HB, I think you should invite this guy to the Cafe'3:welcome

No. Why punish me?

snifur
08-14-2013, 15:49
There's way to much emphasis placed on the labeling of what a thru-hike means. Surely, you don't hike so you can label yourself as a thru-hiker. Do you?

Dog, what are you talking about? dont you know that this is WB land? I was under the understanding that everyone here was a thru-hiker or envious of the thru-hiker status. What other reason is there to hike? This site is devoted to status and solely status. Otherwise one would be free to state their intentions and gear without criticism and critique. Do not treat HB any different. He is just another guy who gets on WB and makes claims and broadcasts his thoughts. He is not special in anyway. No more so than the others that are ridiculed and forced to leave WB land. Treat him like the common folk he is.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 15:50
oooh. and a Man patch.

Dogwood
08-14-2013, 15:51

It's about 52 or so trail miles further taking the BMT from Mt Springer to Davenport Gap(about 288 total) compared to taking the AT which is about 236 miles. I just completed this 500 + mile AT/BMT loop.

Jack Tarlin
08-14-2013, 15:51
Does what you plan to do constitute an A.T. thru-hike? Obviously, and I'm sure HB knows this, it doesn't. When you make the willful decision to deviate from the Trail, skip some of it, and follow other paths, you have obviously elected NOT to walk the Appalachian Trail in its entirety, so how one could do this, and then reasonably claim to have hiked the Trail all the way thru escapes me.

That being said, I think what HB plans to do is eminently sensible and I hope he has a ball.

And while I expect to get some flak for what I just wrote, keep in mind that all I did was provide an honest answer to a simple question. If walking the A.T. in its entirety is a goal that is important to an individual, I think that's swell. And if one DOESN'T want to walk the Trail in its entirety, for whatever personal reasons, that's swell, too. But one can't do the second thing, and then claim to have done the first. Wishin' ain't gettin'.

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 16:01

It's about 52 or so trail miles further taking the BMT from Mt Springer to Davenport Gap(about 288 total) compared to taking the AT which is about 236 miles. I just completed this 500 + mile AT/BMT loop.
yeah but i love a good debate. i honestly dont care about labels, never have, but being this subject does come up now and then, for those who might consider this route, maybe they should know where they stand, similar to those who were under the impression that aquablazing was acceptable without having hiked the section they paddled.
cmon dogwood, we know each other too well.

coach lou
08-14-2013, 16:02
No. Why punish me?

We need help making the Gator completely Bald:D

Ender
08-14-2013, 16:03
what matters is what you think. That is all that matters. No matter what you decide others will disagree
Exactly this. It only matters what you think.

There's way to much emphasis placed on the labeling of what a thru-hike means.
Exactly this too. People who get so tied up in knots about if it's a thru hike or not are doing absolutely everyone a disservice. What matters, the only thing that matters, is what you yourself think.

max patch
08-14-2013, 16:11
Are you thru hiking the AT? Of course not.

Will you be eligible for 2,000 miler status? Absolutely, inasmuch as you hiked this section last year and assuming you continue to hike the white blazes next year.

Have you considered taking the BMT just thru the GSMNP rather than all the way from GA, and

How are you going to handle the GSMNP reservation process?

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 16:17
Are you thru hiking the AT? Of course not.

Will you be eligible for 2,000 miler status? Absolutely, inasmuch as you hiked this section last year and assuming you continue to hike the white blazes next year.

Have you considered taking the BMT just thru the GSMNP rather than all the way from GA, and

How are you going to handle the GSMNP reservation process?
i would handle the reservations on line as i did this past spring.i want to do the bmt from ga to avoid the pack and see the backcountry, in addition to not duplicating the same miles 2 years in a row, as it would never be the same anyway.

max patch
08-14-2013, 16:21
Oh, so you are going to take the AT thru the GSMNP?

max patch
08-14-2013, 16:26
im starting at springer, taking the bmt until it hooks back up with the at,

Could this be a trick question? The BMT splits off the AT at about mile 0.2 and then hooks back up again at mile 1.3.

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 16:28
Could this be a trick question? The BMT splits off the AT at about mile 0.2 and then hooks back up again at mile 1.3.no, i mean to davenport gap.

max patch
08-14-2013, 16:28
I'm considering doing the AT thru the GSMNP this fall, and then next year starting at Springer but taking the Benton thru the GSMNP to avoid the crowds.

max patch
08-14-2013, 16:32
i would handle the reservations on line as i did this past spring.i want to do the bmt from ga to avoid the pack and see the backcountry, in addition to not duplicating the same miles 2 years in a row, as it would never be the same anyway.

Unless they change things (and they should) the Benton does not have thru hiker reservations like the AT. So you'll have to get creative.

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 16:32
i really have to take a look at the maps to lay this all out. i dont want to duplicate my hike this spring, and i want to explore more of the backcountry, so maybe id go through the smokies as well.

HikerMom58
08-14-2013, 16:34

Okay... that one is easy, The Ace... I would choose. :rolleyes: It was easy b/c I know you. You can share the pic of what you thought of one of my posts.. I"m not :mad: at you. It's :cool: ..... :D It stung at first a lil bit but I got over it.

In Hikerboy's defense, he did admit that he's bored... we don't have a bored emoticon. LOL

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 16:34
i really have to take a look at the maps to lay this all out. i dont want to duplicate my hike this spring, and i want to explore more of the backcountry, so maybe id go through the smokies as well. when do you plan on leaving

coach lou
08-14-2013, 16:37
when do you plan on leaving

Uh, Rocket is that you in disguise?:-?

The Ace
08-14-2013, 16:39
Okay... that one is easy, The Ace... I would choose. :rolleyes: It was easy b/c I know you. You can share the pic of what you thought of one of my posts.. I"m not :mad: at you. It's :cool: ..... :D It stung at first a lil bit but I got over it.

In Hikerboy's defense, he did admit that he's bored... we don't have a bored emoticon. LOL

No, no, no! That facepalm was not directed at you. It was for someone else's comment. Be unstung now.

Odd Man Out
Just don't turn the wrong way when you get to the AT or else you end up in an infinite loop.

Drybones
who cares? By whose definition? There's a ton of different ideas about what qualifies and what doesn't and it really doesn't matter anyway. You are hiking "through" every area anyway so sure.

Agree... dont really understand the "mystique" of a thru hike, to me the important thing is enjoying what you're doing. When I crapped out last year after 400+ miles I thought about starting over at Springer this year and had to ask myself why...so I can say I did it? Dont have that much vanity left in me, maybe 40 years ago. I'll just knock it out a few hundred miles at a time till it's done and move on to something else...hoping to get the rest of VA done in October.

Drybones
08-14-2013, 16:41

You can't do that!...............you'd be doing it all wrong.

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 16:42
You can't do that!...............you'd be doing it all wrong.
i was born doing it wrong, came out ass backwards

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 16:42
doctor picked me up and said, "great ,twins!!"

Pedaling Fool
08-14-2013, 16:50
just don't turn the wrong way when you get to the at or else you end up in an infinite loop.
He, He ......... :D

MuddyWaters
08-14-2013, 17:16
Yep, you would be a 2000 miler, you already walked the part you are skipping.

Yes, its a thru hike

Just not a thru-hike of the AT, but so frickin what.

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 17:20

Yes, its a thru hike

Just not a thru-hike of the AT, but so frickin what.i like .

Rasty
08-14-2013, 17:31

Yes, its a thru hike

Just not a thru-hike of the AT, but so frickin what.i like .

I like it also. But you will figure out some way to do it wrong anyway. You will reconnect with the AT at mile 1.3 and not realize it until Fontana.

Montana
08-14-2013, 17:35
I did exactly what you are contemplating in 2008. Hiking the BMT instead of repeating a section of the AT is the way to go.

Per the the smokies you are a thru hikers.

I started out with this assumption, but was informed by a ranger that this only applies to hikers on the AT. BMT thru-hikers, including those that intend to continue on the AT are treated like section hikers and must register campsites ahead of time.

jesse
08-14-2013, 17:40
yeah but i love a good debate. i honestly dont care about labels, never have, ...

Yet you start a thread about "labels".

MuddyWaters
08-14-2013, 17:43
I like it also. But you will figure out some way to do it wrong anyway. You will reconnect with the AT at mile 1.3 and not realize it until Fontana.

And the trail markers past three forks area will have you convinced you are really on the BMT

OzJacko
08-14-2013, 18:12
it's conjecture.
you are assuming you will finish.
start and follow whatever path the Great Vague Blaze leads you down and label when you get home if you must.
not following your whims is doing it wrong.
:banana

Drybones
08-14-2013, 18:23
Uh, Rocket is that you in disguise?:-?

Finally got it ....I think...funny anyway.

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 18:24
yeah but i love a good debate. i honestly dont care about labels, never have, ...

Yet you start a thread about "labels". yeah but I love a good debate

Drybones
08-14-2013, 18:25

In your case that would be.......bass ackwards.

Drybones
08-14-2013, 18:26
doctor picked me up and said, "great ,twins!!"

Dis he slap you or your mother......................Rodney Dangerfield.

kayak karl
08-14-2013, 18:33
yeah but I love a good debate the answer is NO, where's the debate :)

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 18:50
the answer is NO, where's the debate :)
guess the party's over then.:eek:

kayak karl
08-14-2013, 19:01
guess the party's over then.:eek: the party is in your head. it won't stop :)

Dogwood
08-14-2013, 19:03
Unless they change things (and they should) the Benton does not have thru hiker reservations like the AT. So you'll have to get creative.

Campsite reservations on the BMT through GSMNP are NOWHERE as near competitive to acquire than the shelter reservations on the AT or in some other front country areas in the park. Got my reservations as a walk in at Sugarlands no problem. Most sites were totally vacant of any other party when I went through in June. The sites that tend to have campers are the ones nearest the paved roads or perhaps near the firefly displays near Smokemont when that event is occurring. GSMNP has a great interactive campsite reservation system where you can click on various numbered campsites that show availability, pictures, description, water sources, number of sites, etc. I would like to see some other NPs adopt the same interactive system through the internet. You also have some very knowledgable GSMNP people here on WB like TnViking(TNhiker), Sgt Rock, Ox97GaMe, and many others. They all helped me with my AT/BMT loop. THX to all of them.

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 19:03
the party is in your head. it won't stop :)
one can only hope

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 19:05
Campsite reservations on the BMT through GSMNP are NOWHERE as near competitive to acquire than the shelter reservations on the AT or in some other front country areas in the park. Got my reservations as a walk in at Sugarlands no problem. Most sites were totally vacant of any other party when I went through in June. The sites that tend to have campers are the ones nearest the paved roads or perhaps near the firefly displays near Smokemont when that event is occurring. GSMNP has a great interactive campsite reservation system where you can click on various numbered campsites that show availability, pictures, description, water sources, number of sites, etc. I would like to see some other NPs adopt the same interactive system through the internet. You also have some very knowledgable GSMNP people here on WB like TnViking(TNhiker), Sgt Rock, Ox97GaMe, and many others. They all helped me with my AT/BMT loop. THX to all of them.
sounds like it would be pretty sparse in march/early april, no issues.
yeah i know 10k and others have done it, im gonna need some advice before i start. thanks, d.

Rasty
08-14-2013, 19:16
yeah i know 10k and others have done it, im gonna need some advice before i start. thanks, d.

Except for two or three campsites it is very quiet on the BMT

Teacher & Snacktime
08-14-2013, 19:19
Dog, what are you talking about? dont you know that this is WB land? I was under the understanding that everyone here was a thru-hiker or envious of the thru-hiker status. What other reason is there to hike? This site is devoted to status and solely status. Otherwise one would be free to state their intentions and gear without criticism and critique. Do not treat HB any different. He is just another guy who gets on WB and makes claims and broadcasts his thoughts. He is not special in anyway. No more so than the others that are ridiculed and forced to leave WB land. Treat him like the common folk he is.

Not everybody.....I'm intrigued by the idea, and I want Snacktime to learn to appreciate their sense of adventure, but I don't think I'd want to be one. I enjoy hiking the trail, but hardship...the serious suck...isn't in my plans. I'm here for the beauty, fellowship and adventure.....(on the trail that is, not WB) and to share it all with my grandson.

max patch
08-14-2013, 19:20

The issue is at some point you're gonna have to peer into your crystal ball and pick dates for each campsite. Much easier paperwork wise to thru thru park on AT.

Rasty
08-14-2013, 20:37
The issue is at some point you're gonna have to peer into your crystal ball and pick dates for each campsite. Much easier paperwork wise to thru thru park on AT.

Get online just before when your at the Fontana village store which has wifi. The BMT in the Smokies is not crowded. You will need to resupply there anyway. I could be persuaded to meet you and Hike the BMT through the Smokies and will bring Almond Joy pieces this time.

max patch
08-14-2013, 20:53
Get online just before when your at the Fontana village store which has wifi.

Do they have a printer for hiker use?

Rasty
08-14-2013, 20:59
Do they have a printer for hiker use?

I didn't print mine. Oops!

Lone Wolf
08-14-2013, 21:01
no. it's a section hike

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 21:39
no. it's a section hikecool.
'bout time someone gave me the right answer

HikerMom58
08-14-2013, 21:58
cool. .

No, No.. HB, ur response should be... the Wolf has spoken. :p

The Ace... I'm unstung!! :D

MuddyWaters
08-14-2013, 22:02
Whats so special about staying on one trail?

Methinks Skurka, Nimblewill Nomad, and a few other notable long distance adventurers would say absolutely nothing.

If the best hike you can have is by mixing and matching trails, well heck yeah. Thats what its about.

You should probably throw in a "side-hike" on the Long Trail too while you are at it.

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 22:12
Whats so special about staying on one trail?

Methinks Skurka, Nimblewill Nomad, and a few other notable long distance adventurers would say absolutely nothing.

If the best hike you can have is by mixing and matching trails, well heck yeah. Thats what its about.

You should probably throw in a "side-hike" on the Long Trail too while you are at it.not a bad idea.no i knew the answer all along. im in it for the journey. i love challenges. ive been a solo hiker forever, and this spring i actually did enjoy the social spirit of the pack, and made quite a few friends along the way.but i figure id rather see some of the backcountry.and there are so many trails in new hampshire that are better, more challenging than the at.rasty remarked to me climbing mt washington via the at is the easy way, they should reroute it just to piss off more thrus.anyway, i figure if im walking to maine, ill meet enough people along my journey as i get farther north and enjoy the solitude of late winter/early spring, a bit off the beaten path.

wnderer
08-14-2013, 22:20
I hereby christen this type of hike a 'blue thru'.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 22:21
Dare to be different
Be an individual
Free to be you an me

These are sayings I remember when coming up, I've made them more than just sayings.:)

HikerMom58
08-14-2013, 22:30
Dare to be different
Be an individual
Free to be you an me

These are sayings I remember when coming up, I've made them more than just sayings.:)

Yes!!! ^^ AND... You know what I'm going to say.. just beeee yourself. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks.

You always tell me that!! ;)

BUT most importantly.. HAVE FUN!!!

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 22:41
dont worry mom, i really dont care what others think. i can only be me.not much of a follower.
but one of the reasons id like to start on the bmt is expectations. im afraid i will bring expectations to the trail,from my spring hike. they say the trail always provides, but it was ridiculous how everything would always fall right into place from the day i quit my job and found out fidjit and dot.com had just bought a house in damascus.my hike will be quite different this time and by not following the same path for the first few weeks,i wont bring those expectations to the trail, and my journey will unfold very differently.now i have to research the bmt.i know sgt rocks got good stuff both on here and on hq.
looking forward to it.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 22:42
Yes!!! ^^ AND... You know what I'm going to say.. just beeee yourself. Don't worry about what everyone else thinks.

You always tell me that!! ;)

BUT most importantly.. HAVE FUN!!!

You are so true to yourself, and I love that about you :)

Dogwood
08-14-2013, 22:44
Of course it's a AT section hike! But, you already knew that! You lured the little fishies to the baited hook Hikerboy. You might make an attorney or politician yet. Combine this LONG AT section hike with a filler AT of that section you missed and you'll have another complete AT hike under your belt.

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 22:46
HB, I know your only half serious about this whole thing, you, like me, aren't real big on labels...I think many aren't either, only on line when discussing the topic, other wise people basically do what they want, at least I hope they would, other wise, what's the point, right?

Sarcasm the elf
08-14-2013, 22:59

No! No! No! There is no honor in almost thru hiking the trail. This is almost as bad as simply never stepping foot on the trail in the first place. Ypu're a wannabe and you're doing it wrong. How dare anyone use the trail that isn't properly thru hiking past every white blaze

There is that okay for the debate you want?

hikerboy57
HB, I know your only half serious about this whole thing, you, like me, aren't real big on labels...I think many aren't either, only on line when discussing the topic, other wise people basically do what they want, at least I hope they would, other wise, what's the point, right?
no,really, i could care less what you call it, was just having some fun, so everyone knows the "rules"and how anybody else wants to hike is none of my business(except for busting ozjacko's chops,of course)

rocketsocks
Of course it's a AT section hike! But, you already knew that! You lured the little fishies to the baited hook Hikerboy. You might make an attorney or politician yet. Combine this LONG AT section hike with a filler AT of that section you missed and you'll have another complete AT hike under your belt.

"When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change"~Dogwood

hiker #1 I've thru-hiked the whole AT 3 times.

hiker #2 I've thru-hike it once, and done the BMT then re-connected back with the AT and finished up at the big K

hiker#1 I didn't even know you could do that?

hiker #2 Buddy, you can do what ever you want to do, if you've a mind to.

hiker#1 Ya know....your right! it just never occurred to me to do it that way...wow, think of the possibilities?

hikerboy57
08-14-2013, 23:00
No! No! No! There is no honor in almost thru hiking the trail. This is almost as bad as simply never stepping foot on the trail in the first place. Ypu're a wannabe and you're doing it wrong. How dare anyone use the trail that isn't properly thru hiking past every white blaze

There is that okay for the debate you want?
i have no honor
you'll get no argument from me

rocketsocks
08-14-2013, 23:01
no,really, i could care less what you call it, was just having some fun, so everyone knows the "rules"and how anybody else wants to hike is none of my business(except for busting ozjacko's chops,of course)

I hear ya :sun

Dogwood
08-14-2013, 23:07
I'll throw some more fuel on the fire. Skurka really isn't a thru-hiker? What a ya all think about that? Here little fishies. This is fun.

capehiker
08-15-2013, 00:07
Either way, sounds like a great idea. What better way to complete the AT and get to hike a new trail to you at the same time.

jesse
08-15-2013, 05:04
no,really, i could care less what you call it,...

yet you asked, Is it a thru-hike?

hikerboy57
08-15-2013, 06:58
no,really, i could care less what you call it,...

yet you asked, Is it a thru-hike? you really having trouble following along?

Sarcasm the elf
08-15-2013, 07:08
i have no honor
you'll get no argument from me

You're making this argument very difficult.

hikerboy57
08-15-2013, 07:35
politician or attorney?
its difficult to insult a car salesman, but you've come very close

wnderer
08-16-2013, 20:39
I still say we should call any hike from Springer to Katahdin that uses an official AT blue blaze trail like the Benton MacKaye or the Tuscarora a Blue Thru Hike. We should get the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to sanction it, publish peoples names in the magazine and whatever other pats on the back they give out. Why not reduce some of the traffic on the White Blazes and at the shelters? Why not reward and respect the people who make these journeys? It don't cost anything except some mystical thru-hiker elitist bull****.

hikerboy57
08-16-2013, 21:14
I still say we should call any hike from Springer to Katahdin that uses an official AT blue blaze trail like the Benton MacKaye or the Tuscarora a Blue Thru Hike. We should get the Appalachian Trail Conservancy to sanction it, publish peoples names in the magazine and whatever other pats on the back they give out. Why not reduce some of the traffic on the White Blazes and at the shelters? Why not reward and respect the people who make these journeys? It don't cost anything except some mystical thru-hiker elitist bull****. its only important if you want to thru hike the at. If that's what you want to say that you hiked the entire Appalachian Trail well then that's what you should do.to me the personal achievement is more valuable than some formal recognition