PDA

View Full Version : Using Paypal

Tuckahoe
08-15-2013, 08:13
Well this is, I guess, going to be another one of those whiney thread. But, as I cruise the for sale section of WB or even a few other sites, I find that there are a couple things that kinda bug me with the use of Paypal.

First, if you are going to offer anything for sale, do not tell me in your sale terms that you take Paypal gift. Paypal gift, is just that, a gift and using that option to send money removes all Paypal protections from the buyer. Think about that for a second, you the seller want me know to buy your item for sale, without any protection should there be something wrong with the item?

The second are those that then place in their ads "+3%" for Paypal. This is especilly irritating when Paypal is the only payment option offered. Hey, I get it that you want to recover the expense of selling your item. But, Paypal is supposed to be free to the person sending the money, with sellers paying the fee. Atleast be slick about it and make sure your are pricing your item for sale to account for all of your fees.

Yup, first world problems, I dont get to make the rules, and all that, but these are the two things that cause me to pass a for sale ad by.

Old Hiker
08-15-2013, 08:19
+1. Just add $5 to the price. With the "gift" option only, I probably won't look at the gear.

jeffmeh
08-15-2013, 08:56
Very good point on the "gift" option. As far as who pays the 3%, as a buyer I am looking at the "all-in" price including any fees and shipping. It doesn't matter to me whether the item is $50 with free shipping, or $40 + $1.20 paypal fee reimbursement + $8.80 shipping. It's all $50 regardless. YPMV (Your psychology may vary), lol.

Drybones
08-15-2013, 09:18
Paypal seems to be the going thing but my account was compromised right after I started the account and I discontinued use...never felt comfortable with my checking account info out there in cyber land, I've seen gear I'd like to buy on WB and have a ton I need to sell but dont because I'm not comfortable with paypal...anyone here had problems with it?

HikerMom58
08-15-2013, 09:29
Paypal seems to be the going thing but my account was compromised right after I started the account and I discontinued use...never felt comfortable with my checking account info out there in cyber land, I've seen gear I'd like to buy on WB and have a ton I need to sell but dont because I'm not comfortable with paypal...anyone here had problems with it?

I've used it here... no problem at all, DB.

Wise Old Owl
08-15-2013, 09:36
Good pick up - that gift thing isn't the right thing to do.

I like Paypal- its a great tool very handy for transfer of funds when a check or cash is an issue.

Slo-go'en
08-15-2013, 10:32
I've bought and sold many $$ worth of stuff for many years now using paypal with no trouble, as have millions of other users. The only way your account can be compermised is by being careless with your password.

Sly
08-15-2013, 10:47
First, if you are going to offer anything for sale, do not tell me in your sale terms that you take Paypal gift.

Hold on, can't a seller set any terms they want? It's up to you to accept them or move on.

I don't think they have a gift option any more, it's just sending money to family or friends. You can send money two ways. 1) for goods and services, where the seller pays the fees and the buyer is eligible for buyer protection and 2) family and friends, where it's free to send from paypal balance, but using credit card cost the sender/buyer $.30 per transaction and 2.9%. Of course if you use the later (family and friends) you do not receive buyer protection.

Bare in mind buyers aren't the only ones that can get burnt. Sellers are afforded little protection from unscrupulous buyers that claim damage or undelivered and try to reverse charges. Sellers should always use Delivery Confirmation.

JustaTouron
08-15-2013, 11:10
First, if you are going to offer anything for sale, do not tell me in your sale terms that you take Paypal gift. Paypal gift, is just that, a gift and using that option to send money removes all Paypal protections from the buyer. Think about that for a second, you the seller want me know to buy your item for sale, without any protection should there be something wrong with the item?

I am more than willing to use the gift option when buying an item. Here are my terms: Payment sent upon delivery of the item. Sellers aren't so keen on that though.

Slo-go'en
08-15-2013, 11:39
Here are my terms: Payment sent upon delivery of the item. Sellers aren't so keen on that though.

And for good reason. I would never ship something which hasn't been paid for. It is much more likely for a sell to be burnt by someone not sending payment after delivery (they often "forget") then it is for a buyer to be burnt by the seller not sending the item.

JustaTouron
08-15-2013, 11:50
And for good reason. I would never ship something which hasn't been paid for. It is much more likely for a sell to be burnt by someone not sending payment after delivery (they often "forget") then it is for a buyer to be burnt by the seller not sending the item.

Both are as equally likely if seller is insisting on "gift". Fact is I have never really expected a seller to agree to those terms, it is just my response to a gift request.

The Ace
08-15-2013, 11:55
Hold on, can't a seller set any terms they want? It's up to you to accept them or move on.

As a free market person, I started to respond exactly as you did. If there is a demand for this type service, then let the market be free to provide it. On the other hand, part of the benefits of a free market is that OP has the right to post his opinion and add to the marketplace’s knowledge base. I was unaware of this PayPal feature and am glad to have this info. But, I wouldn't use the service either. Once in a while whiny threads are useful. (There was that other time back in 2007.)

Sly
08-15-2013, 12:10
There is no "gift" payment.

So unless the seller/buyer are family and friends, the seller eats the fee. Of course, all they have to do is add a couple $$'s to the asking price to cover the fees.

Tuckahoe
08-15-2013, 13:53
Yup, there is no longer the gift option, which is now simply sending money to friends and family. And interestingly if sending moneynfrom Paypal balance or bank account its fee free, but if sent with credit card, the sender pays the fee.

I guess that makes that part of my gripe a moot point...

I am a believer in the free market, but in the case here, requesting money as payment for an item to be sent as a gift, to avoid fees, was actually a violation of ToS.

Sly
08-15-2013, 15:30
I am a believer in the free market, but in the case here, requesting money as payment for an item to be sent as a gift, to avoid fees, was actually a violation of ToS.

Right, that's why just adding a couple dollars to the price without sounding like you're trying to stiff the buyer or avoid Paypal fees is a better approach. So instead of $125 you ask for $130, say you'll eat the Paypal fees, and sound like a good guy.

Anyone that says Paypal gift or add 3% isn't very savvy.

kayak karl
08-15-2013, 16:59
i remember Rainman talking about the legal side of PayPal (don't know if it was on here) and that it leans ALL in their favor. i have had good luck, but LUCK may be all it is?