PDA

View Full Version : Jennifer Pharr Davis: amazing speaker!

slbirdnerd
08-15-2013, 09:29
I was very lucky to get to hear Jennifer Pharr Davis speak here in Central Ohio last night. Jennifer is an amazing person, committed hiker/backpacker and a phenomenal speaker. I found her talk both profound and inspiring. I highly recommend going if she's ever in your area. Thanks, Jennifer, it was a joy meeting you! ~Sonya

Loneoak
08-15-2013, 10:48
Well said and I agree

Sly
08-15-2013, 10:59
Yup, we've had her at the Southern Ruck twice, and she may be back again in 2014.

Sunshine82
08-15-2013, 12:10
Jennifer is truly an inspiration.i heard her speak in Asheville and have both of her books.She portrays the strength that a woman can have while also being a wife and mom.

Dogwood
08-15-2013, 12:47
Occasionally, someone comes along that really grabs me with a unique, and not often found, combination of insight, humbleness, drive, commitment, and genuineness. She has that combination. With Jen I feel I'm getting someone who hasn't erected all these public facades and walls. I feel she's being real. She isn't afraid to share her struggles, doubts, and failures along with her many successes which she knows makes her vulnerable. This is what I like about her. She has a depth of character. She's not a shallow pretentious gung-ho over achiever who simply gets on about her achievements. She's refreshing. I can relate to her as I know others can even if they don't hike which is why I highly recommend her especially to young people trying to find themselves, meaning, and their place in the world. I've been reading through Becoming Odessa and look forward to reading Called Again and 46 Days. What strikes me as I've been reading Becoming Odessa and having glanced through these two other books is that they appeal to a wide range of audiences not just those who hike.

You do girl!

Dogwood
08-15-2013, 12:49
You go girl!

Cosmo
08-18-2013, 14:15
I've seen her speak twice, and parted with cash to get her book (Called Again)--well worth it. She speaks as well as she writes and tells an amazing story that really rings true. She has a scary amount of drive and determination, but still lives and has deep connections with families and friends. She somehow combines truly remarkable athletic and mental strength with being a "regular person". Go and see her speak or read her book, suitable for non-hikers too.

Cosmo

hikerboy57
08-18-2013, 14:47
I've seen her speak twice, and parted with cash to get her book (Called Again)--well worth it. She speaks as well as she writes and tells an amazing story that really rings true. She has a scary amount of drive and determination, but still lives and has deep connections with families and friends. She somehow combines truly remarkable athletic and mental strength with being a "regular person". Go and see her speak or read her book, suitable for non-hikers too.

Cosmo I saw a very nice interview with Jen on FOX news this morning

slbirdnerd
08-18-2013, 16:25
I saw a very nice interview with Jen on FOX news this morning My folks called me to tell me that was on, right AFTER they watched it. Gotta love the parents! :)

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 16:54
It must be hard for her in some ways because it seems she's not a limelight seeker. To me she has to carefully balance her privacy, personal life, and not ALWAYS wanting to be up on the stage in the public with acknowledging her accomplishments. She's MORE than her accomplishments though! We ought not to forget that! She proceeds to a great degree despite knowing that it also makes her vulnerable. AND she publically shares how it makes her feel vulnerable at times. That shows she can be courageous. That shows she's willing to face down the challenges. Like I said she's REAL!

Jen deserves all the success and recognition she's achieved. I sincerely hope it doesn't change her though in ways she wouldn't desire. I know she's mindful of that. She's allowing herself to expand yet I know she's mindful of staying true to herself, her family, her relationships, and her values. She's got a lot to offer. I want to hear her speak in person.

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 17:20
Look at what she says here and what's said in this article:

"Davis(Brew her husband) also provided the boost she needed when she was ready to quit during the first days of the trip in Vermont after being chilled by a sleet storm in the White Mountains. He pointed out she was ahead of the record and would feel even worse if she quit.

"There's no way I could have done it without him," Davis(Jen) said. "Not just the physical, logistical support, but his emotional support."

There's such humility, gratitude, and respect in that statement! She recognizes and gives acknowledgement to her husband that her AT record was a joint affair with her husband. That's consideration, commitment, cooperation, and love in a marriage/partnership/endeavor. In reading Becoming Odessa, I saw how much she's in love with Brew and how she appreciates him so much. Look at the photos of Jen with her family! Their's a richness a contentment in their faces. WOW!

"I said good morning and good night to the sun every single day on the trail," she said.

I love this heartfelt regimen!

But the solitude always made her appreciate nature's boundless beauty.

"You have the trail to yourself. There's usually not any other hikers. More animals are on the trail at that time. You get to appreciate the sunset and the sunrise."

Davis' goal is to get more women, especially teens, to take their exercise away from air-conditioned buildings.

"I want to encourage, particularly women and children to explore the woods and be outside and enjoy nature," Davis said. "As a young woman hiking on my own, there was a lot of opposition. The woods are such a wonderful place to be."

LOVE it! I share her motivation. Jen is a person of character of depth. I'm a fan.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/08/02/woman-sets-appalachian-trial-fastest-hike-record/#ixzz2cMAix4LA

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 17:39
Listen to this. Meditate on this, especially all you aspiring hikers, thru-hikers, speed hikers, and those just looking for some meaning. She's a person who understands thru-hiking and how to organize a speed record hike. She's got the passion! She's so grounded. She's so involved!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_YW_nO25s

hikerboy57
08-18-2013, 18:07
Listen to this. Meditate on this, especially all you aspiring hikers, thru-hikers, speed hikers, and those just looking for some meaning. She's a person who understands thru-hiking and how to organize a speed record hike. She's got the passion! She's so grounded. She's so involved!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_YW_nO25s

thanks for posting that dogwood. much better than the fox interview.she has balance in her life,physically, mentally and spiritually.wondeful interview.

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 20:21
What I refuse to do, and I know is so common, especially in a forum dedicated to hiking related issues, is view the hiking accomplishments outside of the character of the person who attained the accomplishments. With some one like Jennifer, when you examine the character of the person behind the accomplishments, you better understand the attainment of the accomplishments. Some of us lose touch with that reality and simply spotlight the achievements. I could say the same for others in the hiking community. Andrew Skurka is another who immediately comes to mind. These are quality individuals who have only done what they have done in regards to hiking as a result of who they are as persons that has developed over the yrs. When you look at these people aside from hiking and simply as individuals it just makes sense to me that they've done what they've done in the hiking arena. There's a depth of character with these people. It's also evident in those who never seek records or attain the public spotlight. It's GOOD to see these people getting recognized for WHO THEY ARE AS PEOPLE TOO! There are several others right here on WB, that I can tell, although who aren't record holders or seekers, who are rather decent people who I've had the pleasure to be around.