PDA

View Full Version : how goes the winooski bridge project?

1azarus
08-15-2013, 16:41
well? and how weird is the road walk in that area?

VT-Mike
08-15-2013, 20:29
Link to GMC on the topic.
http://www.greenmountainclub.org/news.php?id=265

Slo-go'en
08-15-2013, 22:08
Going SOBO, I hitched into Richmond for resupply and then when I hitched back, my ride took me across the bridge and over to the trail head so I didn't have to do the road walk :)

Otherwise, it's your typical couple mile road walk. I suppose if your going NOBO, there's less chance of that happening. But it is a popular trail head, so you could luck out if your timing is good. In my book, road walks don't count...

MamaBear
08-19-2013, 08:08
It is a 3 mile paved road walk, not exactly fun. We did it during our hike of the LT on 8/9. We were offered a ride part way through, but my son being the purist, declined, so we did the walk. Will be a big improvement when the bridge is built!

Gervt
03-04-2014, 17:03
Bridge should be finished this Spring 2014. Columns are in and awaiting the span.

rafe
03-04-2014, 17:17
Are you talking about the roadwalk between Jonesville and the trailhead north of Camel's Hump? Did that this summer, it took about an hour and a half to walk. Nothing weird about it. It was a nice day. Pretty much flat road walking, with the river off to your right as you walk toward Jonesville.

I wasn't aware that there was a footbridge planned. Moot (to me) at this point. Seen enough of Jonesville. Onward!

WinterWren
07-25-2014, 15:50
Any first-hand accounts of the bridge being completed? The GMC webpage update is rather old, though I've read varying accounts of a "planned 2014 spring completion." Thanks for the help!

Planning a NOBO hike in a couple of weeks starting at Brandon Gap heading north, and trying to figure out mail drops in Johnson and Jonesville. Looking forward to it!

Wren

imscotty
07-25-2014, 17:03
Winterwren,

I saw some photos a few weeks ago of the project but I cannot remember where. It looked like some construction had started, but is not finished. I would plan on the road walk into Jonesville if I were you.

WinterWren
07-25-2014, 21:08
Winterwren,

I saw some photos a few weeks ago of the project but I cannot remember where. It looked like some construction had started, but is not finished. I would plan on the road walk into Jonesville if I were you.

Thanks for the update! Much appreciated :)

Josh D
01-15-2015, 20:06
With the new bridge, does anyone know how far off the trail the Jonesville post office is now?

TJ aka Teej
01-15-2015, 22:14
With the new bridge, does anyone know how far off the trail the Jonesville post office is now?
1.7 miles.

Deadeye
01-16-2015, 10:25
I'll check on the mileage tomorrow when I drive by... I remembered it as only 1 mile last time I measured it, but memory isn't reliable. I think it's 1.7 miles to the store in Bolton. The bridge appears to be complete, and I have seen people waling on it. Apparently no official announcement has been made. I have plans to take a walk this weekend.

Deadeye
01-18-2015, 17:55
Stopped by the site today. From the Rte 2 crossing N of the new bridge, it's 1.3 miles West to Jonesville (Post Office), and 1.5 miles East to Bolton (gas station with some groceries and a deli). The bridge appears to be complete, with just a few details to wrap up, although it is clearly not considered open - there is a 2/4 bolted across the entrances. I expect that there will be a grand opening in the spring, as soon as mud season is over and the new re-routed trail is open.

BirdBrain
03-17-2015, 14:03
Likely old news to many.

http://gmcburlington.org/2015/01/04/ceremonial-first-crossing-of-winooski-river-bridge-by-daan-zwick-122014/

https://vimeo.com/114432842

bamboo bob
03-17-2015, 17:46
i actually preferred the country road walk. For thru-hikers it takes you right to the PO where you likely have to go anyway or if not people often hitch into Richmond for resupply. I really didn't see this as a big need for the LT.

BirdBrain
03-17-2015, 18:13
I get why they did it. I would rather walk in the woods than through a town. I am doing the Long Trail this summer. This bridge did change my resupply plans. I will not be resupplying in that area. I doubt I am alone in this. I like the bridge because it keeps me in the woods, but because it is there, that area will lose my business.

Deadeye
03-18-2015, 09:25
Official opening ceremony is June 12, kicking off the GMC annual meeting. I don't know if the re-routed trail will be in use prior to that date.

Praha4
03-18-2015, 21:04
I hiked the LT in Sept 2013, and that road walk was the most hazardous part of the entire hike. Almost got hit by a speeding dumptruck, had to practically dive off the road into an adjoining drainage ditch to avoid the truck. I welcome the news of the reroute and the new bridge. The GMC has been planning this project for years. Looking forward to doing another LT hike this fall, and see the new bridge and trail reroute.