PDA

View Full Version : where are the good hiking boots?

misterfloyd
08-15-2013, 17:34
Hello,

I'm looking to replace my Keen Targhees. I love the comfort with them. I have a flat wide foot and I like the wide toebox. I also have pretty flat feet. What I didn't like was that they did not last at least 500 miles.

I'm looking for a good sole, preferably vibram, PU midsole, and at least ankle high. Waterproof (ha, ha,) would be great as well.

Well, it has been tougher to find than I imagined. Most are a EV sole, and are too narrow.

I have gone to many places and cannot find what I'm looking for. I live in the Charlotte NC area.

If I cannot I will keep buying the above and accept the fact that they will last 300-500. To me it seems like throwing money away. Would rather buy something that lasts even if it means more $$$$$

Any Help?

Best,
Floyd

hikerboy57
08-15-2013, 17:44
have you tried keen targhees?
kidding.
if you're thinking of thru hiking consider changing to trail runners. theyre lighter, dry faster, and give you about the same miles as your targhees, which i used to wear and always found them super comfortable.the waterproof thing is good for short section hikes and winter, beyond that they stay wet too long and get heavy.or stick with the targhees and keep replacing them.

Ezra
08-15-2013, 17:50
You would be surprised how comfortable trail runners are, good grip on slick rocks too.

I too need to buy wide width and the best fitting boot I have had is the Montrail Torre GTX in a wide width.

Onedawg
08-15-2013, 18:41
+1 on the trailrunners. But most manufacturers list 300-500 mis as the useful life of the shoe. YMMV

Maddog
08-15-2013, 18:54
Inov-8!!! Maddog! :

WorldPeaceAndStuff
08-15-2013, 19:41
I say try both and see what works. For the massive rocky, root covered, standing water and deep mud filled trails of NC I roll with Salewa Mountain Trainer Mids. If boots are what you want these are it.

Drybones
08-15-2013, 19:56
Gettin someone's opinion on shirts is one thing, but shoes a little different, too many variations person to person. If you want waterproof, I was happy with the Treksta Evolution, comfortable from day one, put 415 miles on them last spring and they show a little wear next to the ankle but have lots of miles left. IMO, any Gortex will start taking on water after a while, I converted to non Gortex Asics Kahana, very cushioned, wide toe box, dry faster, cheaper but dont last as long.

misterfloyd
08-16-2013, 11:57
Worldpeace,

I was just up at Boone yesterday and spent a few days at Grandfather mountain hiking. I want something that will take a beating on the rocks, and the tree roots in NC. After coming back, whatever tread I had left on my keens, are pretty much gone.

I pack about 35 pounds, at the heaviest on the AT and lighter, at Grandfather, Linville Gorge, Mt. Mitchell etc. I mention this as this is the terrain I like to go in besides the AT.

I went to a well none store at Boone and was given a hard sell for Oboz. Back in Charlotte, I will try a store today. Lastly I will try REI.

I like my keens, but I want something to last longer.

Floyd

DeerPath
08-16-2013, 12:22
Hello,

I'm looking to replace my Keen Targhees. I love the comfort with them. I have a flat wide foot and I like the wide toebox. I also have pretty flat feet. What I didn't like was that they did not last at least 500 miles.

I'm looking for a good sole, preferably vibram, PU midsole, and at least ankle high. Waterproof (ha, ha,) would be great as well.

Well, it has been tougher to find than I imagined. Most are a EV sole, and are too narrow.

I have gone to many places and cannot find what I'm looking for. I live in the Charlotte NC area.

If I cannot I will keep buying the above and accept the fact that they will last 300-500. To me it seems like throwing money away. Would rather buy something that lasts even if it means more $$$$$

Any Help?

Best,
Floyd

These are my favorite.

http://www.newbalance.com/Dunham-Cloud/884577627064,default,pd.html?start=20&cgid=111000

Venchka
08-16-2013, 12:37
I went boot shopping at the Mast General Store in Boone a few years ago. I had not been "enlightened" by WhiteBlaze at the time. I bought a pair of Asolo 520 boots. My choice. We were in Boone last June. I visited Footsloggers. Nice store. I wasn't shopping for footwear, but I would go back if I were. I also visited the good folks at:
Outdoor Supply Company
2427 North Center Street
Hickory, NC 28601
828-322-2297
They showed me some nice kayaks and Hilleberg tents. I didn't look at footwear. If I'm ever in the market, I'll go back to Hickory as well.
Long winded way of saying: I'm not convinced that anything on th market today will last more than 400-500 miles under load in rough terrain. With the possible exception of a pair of Limmer Boots in standard or heavyweight models.
Right now, I am trying to wear out 2 pairs of Merrell Moab Ventilator trail runners and the Asolo 520 boots. Mrs. Wayne won't let me buy anything new until the current shoes wear out.
Good luck!

Wayne

jeffmeh
08-16-2013, 12:41
Most of the lighter boots are really glorified sneakers and are not likely to get more than 500 miles of rough use. Same goes for trail shoes and trail runners. I'm very happy with Merrell Moab Ventilators (low cut, not waterproof), but I have realistic expectations for them.

If you want something that will last, it's going to be in the traditional hiking boot category, and fairly heavy. I've moved away from that after decades, but it's still an option.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
08-16-2013, 12:42
I bet I know which store as they tried that on me too.

I've put ~100 miles of trail on these plus wear them to work and other places in snow. I never feel the rocks through them. I walk on the pointed ones sometimes.

Drybones
08-16-2013, 13:08
Gettin someone's opinion on shirts is one thing, but shoes a little different, too many variations person to person. If you want waterproof, I was happy with the Treksta Evolution, comfortable from day one, put 415 miles on them last spring and they show a little wear next to the ankle but have lots of miles left. IMO, any Gortex will start taking on water after a while, I converted to non Gortex Asics Kahana, very cushioned, wide toe box, dry faster, cheaper but dont last as long.

Ment to mention, what really like about the Treksta shoes is the fiberglass impregnated into the soles, exceptional grip on rocks

The Cleaner
08-16-2013, 13:09
Merrell makes several styles of boots, some ankle high and some higher.Also different weights for load size and where you might use them most.Their fit is pretty much the same as Keen's. I've used OnlineShoes.com, very good customer service..

Venchka
08-16-2013, 13:09
I bet I know which store as they tried that on me too.

I've put ~100 miles of trail on these plus wear them to work and other places in snow. I never feel the rocks through them. I walk on the pointed ones sometimes.

What boots are those? The actually look like my 1980s vintage Vibram Roccia Block soles on my 1980s vintage Pivetta 5 boots.

JocasseeGorge
08-16-2013, 13:42
Most of the lighter boots are really glorified sneakers and are not likely to get more than 500 miles of rough use. Same goes for trail shoes and trail runners. I'm very happy with Merrell Moab Ventilators (low cut, not waterproof), but I have realistic expectations for them.

If you want something that will last, it's going to be in the traditional hiking boot category, and fairly heavy. I've moved away from that after decades, but it's still an option.

+1

Love my non-waterproof Moab low-tops. Love them so much that I have gone through 8 pair in as many years. One season hiking in Appalachia is about all you are going to get from them, and I don't find that they do well under load or on truly rough terrain.

For the really rough stuff, or carrying any kind of load (more than daypack territory), I am a huge fan of an all-leather boot with some serious rigidity.

WorldPeaceAndStuff
08-16-2013, 14:04
What boots are those? The actually look like my 1980s vintage Vibram Roccia Block soles on my 1980s vintage Pivetta 5 boots.

Salewa Mountain Trainer Mid. Here's a side shot.

yaduck9
08-16-2013, 14:43
Hello,

Any Help?

Best,
Floyd

http://www.limmerboot.com

Venchka
08-16-2013, 14:44
Thanks! Can I get those in Boone the next time I visit?

Wayne

Venchka
08-16-2013, 14:45
http://www.limmerboot.com

I bet if you really did an honest cost evaluation, the Limmers would cost less over a period of a few years.

Wayne

jeffmeh
08-16-2013, 15:28
I bet if you really did an honest cost evaluation, the Limmers would cost less over a period of a few years.

Wayne

Yep. I have a pair of custom Limmers from the 80s, and they are virtually indestructible, and can be easily re-soled. I'm happier at this point with the more "disposable" Merrells. Then again, I'm not loading up 75-100 lbs and taking out groups anymore either. :) Should be hitting the Whites this week though with a group, but for a day trip where each will more or less carry his own. I may be loaded up with a little extra, but not much, as it will have to fit in my day pack. Psyched.

Venchka
08-16-2013, 17:12
Enjoy! I'll give my Merrell Moabs an honest, real world, 3-7 day test drive one of these years. I do plan to buy a larger, wider size for backpacking.

Wayne

Sailing_Faith
08-16-2013, 17:20
I like Merrill, but I doubt I could ever buy them online. I have two pairs right now, and one is 13, the other is 13.5... Enough variation in the same year model of boots to have to go up half a size? Tough to find boots wide enough, tried on a pair of keens (can't recall the model) had to go up to a 14.5 to get wide enough! I suppose I could just carry a spare pair of socks in the end of the toe!

WorldPeaceAndStuff
08-16-2013, 17:21
Salewa was sold in Boone at Footsloggers in January. They are still listed as a dealer on Salewa page but I haven't been in since. Footsloggers also has a location in downtown Blowing Rock.

misterfloyd
08-16-2013, 17:39
I went to a couple of places in Charlotte, NC and no avail. I tried Scarpa, and Salwea. I'm at a loss. I was fitted but my feet are too damn wide. One of those companies makes a wide ( sorry I don't remember, must of been Salwea, Scarpa is made in Italy ) and it still didn't work.

Has anyone tried work boots.... without the steel toe. I was told that with most trail boots there are two sizes regular and wide. with work boots they can go up in width.

I hate disposable things but I'm getting tired of looking. I do not want to order on line since in the words of one sales person, "you have some really funky feet"

Floyd

Sailing_Faith
08-16-2013, 17:42
I just realized I did not answer the original question... REI is where I have bought 5 of my last 7 pair. Even with the new slightly less generous return policy I like that I can take them back if they really don't work out. One pair I bought at "any mountain" in California proved not to be right after about 15 minutes on the trail.. They would not take them back.

Venchka
08-16-2013, 22:54
Floyd,
Limmer Custom Boots. They will make a perfect fit for your Funky Feet. The Limmer standard boots (redy made) come in several widths.
You might give Red Wing or other work boot makers a chance. Have you looked at Danner boots? They claim wide widths.

Wayne

misterfloyd
08-17-2013, 08:44
Venchka,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have looked at Danner and they do have a extra wide size. I do not want to order something on line but I looked at Sierra trading post and will put more thought into it. I want to talk to them about thier return policy and such on the phone.

I'm going to check out some work boots today as well. Will go to REI as well. Went there once and the person really didn't know shoes who was working the department. He had to ask another person if a boot had PU or EVA midsoles. Not good.

Those Limmer custom boots look like battle tanks!!!!! I will look into those as well.

I hate shopping, I really do. It brings out the worst in me. Some like it. I hate it !

Floyd

Onedawg
08-17-2013, 09:28
You might try zappos.com. Order a bunch of pairs, try them out at you house, and return what you don't like. They have a 365 day return period with free return shipping.

Water Rat
08-17-2013, 10:35
Though I normally wear trail runners (or Keens) when hiking, I love my Zamberlan Vioz GT boots! Have about 1,000 miles on this pair of boots and they seem to still be going strong. I know the OP was not interested in EV soles, but these boots are worth a mention. They can also be found at REI.

Old Hiker
08-17-2013, 11:27
http://www.amazon.com/Timberland-15130-Chocurua-Trail-Brown/dp/B000VX1BWW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376752896&sr=8-2&keywords=timberland+chocorua+boots

I've put two more new pair into my gear closet for my 2016 attempt. I've used them for years, but they seem to be running out of the 13 wide I need. I have them in tan/green. I think I'm on pairs 3 and 4, not sure. They fit perfectly out of the box. I've not had to break them in at all, but that's my luck.

The only problem I've had is with the front toe bumper coming loose about 1/4 inch after 300+ miles. Shoe-goo fixes that with no problem.

Waterproof to the max and yes, they take a day or so to dry while hiking on a dry day. I can't stand cold, wet feet in any type of tennis shoe or sneaker which is what trail runners seem to be to me. I have some pretty significant scarring on the ankles where rocks, etc. have hit me. I think anything low quarter style would have given me a nasty slice.

Shovel69
08-18-2013, 18:01
I've been using the the Targhee 2 Mid since around april. They've been great in the Adirondacks, even with bunion problems. However, I could also recommend trail runners. I find that they give you much more maneuverability than boots. They dry out quicker and take a lot less time to break in.
I like both. It depends on your preference.

misterfloyd
08-19-2013, 20:32
Well the quest lives on!

I have gone to REI and nothing, called every reputable outfitter and nothing with EE. I'm going to have to go directly to Danner, Asolo, and Limmer.

I have done searches on the web for wide feet and nothing.

It is really surprising to have this much trouble. I did try work boots and they felt awful. Not the unbroken feel awful, but the yuk feeling.

Floyd

Venchka
08-20-2013, 13:56
Call the folks at Limmer. Hopefully they can help. You could do worse.

Wayne

JackJack96
08-26-2013, 14:31
Some people don't like them, but I use New Balance 411 in wide width. Thge wide width only because I have six toes.

JackJack96
08-26-2013, 14:31
Thge
"The" sorry.

Seatbelt
08-27-2013, 13:12
Well the quest lives on!

I have gone to REI and nothing, called every reputable outfitter and nothing with EE. I'm going to have to go directly to Danner, Asolo, and Limmer.

I have done searches on the web for wide feet and nothing.

It is really surprising to have this much trouble. I did try work boots and they felt awful. Not the unbroken feel awful, but the yuk feeling.

Floyd

I was at Mt Rogers Outfitters this past weekend and Jeff told me that Oboz is coming out with a new extra-wide shoe soon. You might call him--I know that some of my friends in PA who regularly hike in the rocks swear by the toughness and durability of the Oboz shoe--I personally have experienced the same exact problem as you and can wear-out a Keen boot pretty quickly. Hopefully you can find a good solution--I might be right behind you in line.:)

Dogwood
08-27-2013, 14:14
I'm looking to replace my Keen Targhees. I love the comfort with them. I have a flat wide foot and I like the wide toebox. I also have pretty flat feet. What I didn't like was that they did not last at least 500 miles. - MisterFloyd

I find this EXTREMELY STRANGE AND ABNORMAL that you say you are only getting 500 miles out of a pr of Keen Targhees! I've gone through about 8-10 prs over the course of the past 6 yrs or so and I routinely get more miles out of mine. AND, I mainly use them on very abrasive rocky hikes not always on trail but on bushwacks out west where I want a more durable and protective low cut than my lightest wt big miles flimsy trail runners. Very strange. I would like to know where they are wearing out in your use after only 500 miles.

misterfloyd
08-29-2013, 20:45
Hi Dogwood,

They were wearing out in the lugs on both feet, and also in the brake on the heel. by the time I got off the section of the AT they were pretty worn down nothing left to grip. They started seperating in the narrow section joining the upper and the lower part of the sole. They also started seperating on someplaces on the lower rand.

I'm giving the llbean crest trail hikers a try. They were one of the only companies that had sizes in in EE plus I did a lot of looking on reviews and they were rated well. Got them yesterday. I wore them today at work and will do so tomorrrow. Will take them on some hikes around the neiborhood this week end, as well as a state park this week end. I'm going to give them a month or so to break in to give my final ya or neah. So far pretty comfortable. I like thier warrenty and 100 percent satisfaction. Of course just different than the keens.

If I could get more milage out of them, then I would be on to something!

Floyd

ceschuby
08-30-2013, 11:10
My father hiked with me on the AT for several hundred miles in several pairs of Keen boots. Like you, he loves the fit of Keens but some started to fall apart shockingly fast (stitching coming undone within days, etc). Apparently REI has told him that Keen's quality (at least of their boots--he and I have both been very happy with their sandals) varies hugely depending on the factory where they are made. So it's basically luck of the draw whether you get a boot that lasts for a reasonable amount of time or falls apart within the week. He just returns them to REI for a new pair when when he gets a dud, betting that eventually he'll get some that last. Frustrating.

Mr. Clean
09-02-2013, 06:51
The Beans Crests hikers have a 1500 mile rating as opposed to 500 for most other boots. They are heavy, but your feet will love them. Give them a chance to break in.

Zigzag
09-02-2013, 20:00
Started in the 60's with heavy leather Fabiano's (still have them. Bought custum Limmer's in the 70's, sold them on consignment at Limmer's 10 years ago (I live near North Conway). 8 years ago I switched to non-waterproof trailrunners with mixed success. The original post mentioned not only wide feet but a roomy toebox. Few makers offer this, most are still built with a European last, narrow front to back. I have a few pairs of Keens which I am not sold on yet. Also have new Patagonia Drifter AC mids which are a little heavier than I am used to but are available in a non-waterproof boot. Probably 25 pairs of boots in my closet. My wife likes Oboz's, I have had good luck day-hiking with Salamons. The White's are a great test for any boot. Bottom line; buy what fits.

88BlueGT
10-17-2013, 09:47
I feel your pain with finding good boots. I have gone through 4 different pairs in the last few months and have yet to find something I'm happy with. Had a pair of Solomon XA Pro's, too narrow and just didn't fit right. Sold them. Spent $135 on a pair of Brooks Adrenalin GTX trail runners, not sturdy enough. Used a pair of Merrel Moab's last weekend and found out they are NOT waterproof (my soaked/wet toes can confirm). Also have a brand new pair of Oboz Sawtooth BDry's sitting in the box. Seem sturdy but also feel like I have bricks attached to the bottom of my feet.

Let me know how your boot search goes, you're not the only one unfortunately :cool:

Venchka
10-17-2013, 09:56
A friend of mine just got a full refund on a pair of Keen Voyageur shoes. The uppers & lowers began separating after 40 miles as recorded by his calibrated pedometer. He also bought a pair of Vasque boots at the same time. They worked perfectly on a recent one week trip to Big Bend National & State Parks.

Wayne

88BlueGT
10-17-2013, 10:02
^^ Most people I hike with wear Vasque's and love them to death. May have to pick myself up a pair.

Namtrag
10-17-2013, 10:07
I tried on Vasque's and they didn't feel right, but I agree, many people have them and seem to love them.

I ended up in a pair of Oboz Yellowstone II's and absolutely love the fit. They fit true to size for once! lol

88BlueGT
10-17-2013, 12:13
I tried on Vasque's and they didn't feel right, but I agree, many people have them and seem to love them.

I ended up in a pair of Oboz Yellowstone II's and absolutely love the fit. They fit true to size for once! lol

I have a brand new pair of Oboz Sawtoth BDRY's right now that I want to try out. They fit well but have VERY stiff soles.... almost like I have a plate or a brick under my foot. Are the Yellowstones the same way?

Namtrag
10-17-2013, 12:28
I have a brand new pair of Oboz Sawtoth BDRY's right now that I want to try out. They fit well but have VERY stiff soles.... almost like I have a plate or a brick under my foot. Are the Yellowstones the same way?

If those are the new model that is the same price ($140ish), and has mesh instead of leather, they didn't fit nearly as well on me as the Yellowstones. They felt tight in the toebox vertically on my feet, so I didn't keep them on long enough to check on the sole stiffness.

I will say the Yellowstones are pretty stiff, but I like them like that. They are getting a little less stiff each time I wear them as well.

88BlueGT
10-17-2013, 12:34
If those are the new model that is the same price ($140ish), and has mesh instead of leather, they didn't fit nearly as well on me as the Yellowstones. They felt tight in the toebox vertically on my feet, so I didn't keep them on long enough to check on the sole stiffness.

I will say the Yellowstones are pretty stiff, but I like them like that. They are getting a little less stiff each time I wear them as well.

My feet are a bit narrow so it does not bother me but the guy at EMS (where I bought them) did let me know that they are definitely a narrow boot w/ limited room in the toe box. I feel like these things will be a pain to break in and take forever.

Namtrag
10-17-2013, 12:57
The Yellowstones are substantially roomier in the toe box

78owl
10-17-2013, 20:01
ilovemy OBOZ

JackJack96
10-29-2013, 10:27
Has anyone tried the Barefoot Trail Run Ascend Glove w/ Gore-Tex by Merrell?

misterfloyd
10-31-2013, 16:19
Hello to all,

I bought the LLbean Cresta Hikers. They are a little heavier than my Keen Trarghees but they fit very well and are comfortable. I wore them on a 2 night hike to MT. Mitchell and they did very well. I did not feel every rock or tree root. With the Darn tough socks I have and with a sock liner they are warm. That is my only main concern with them. They are well broken in, and they accomadate my wide feet. I might have to investigate different socks however. I do have the lightest pair From DT so I don't know where to go from there.

Mister floyd

Seatbelt
10-31-2013, 17:13
Hello to all,

I bought the LLbean Cresta Hikers. They are a little heavier than my Keen Trarghees but they fit very well and are comfortable. I wore them on a 2 night hike to MT. Mitchell and they did very well. I did not feel every rock or tree root. With the Darn tough socks I have and with a sock liner they are warm. That is my only main concern with them. They are well broken in, and they accomadate my wide feet. I might have to investigate different socks however. I do have the lightest pair From DT so I don't know where to go from there.

Mister floyd

Thanks for the update, I tried a new pair of Vasque boots this summer and my feet did not fare well in them(blisters)--maybe too small. Broke down again and bought another pair of Keens and went hiking in them 2 weeks ago--no problems--my feet may just be spoiled by the fit....?? Would be interested in another update about the LL Beans in the future. Seatbelt

Tractor
10-31-2013, 18:11
I found ECCO boots to have a wide toe box as "standard".

Dogwood
10-31-2013, 18:59
Thanx for returning my ph call. :) "They were wearing out in the lugs on both feet, and also in the brake on the heel. by the time I got off the section of the AT they were pretty worn down nothing left to grip. They started seperating in the narrow section joining the upper and the lower part of the sole. They also started seperating on someplaces on the lower rand." I have not experienced anywhere near the level of wear you say you have in only 500 miles with the Keen Targhees on highly abrasive underfoot UL hikes. However, I have noticed chunks/small pieces of lug material removed after only 500 miles;I have never had a lug fall off or quickly wear down smooth though. In my usage, this is more of a cosmetic issue rather than functional issue though. The sole in the area of the rear of the heel is also rather quick to noticeably wear. Perhaps, this has more to do with our particular walking mechanics? The Targhee has evolved both in construction methods in some regard and in basic construction materials. For example, the adhesives used went to several stages where Keen experimented with more environmentally sensitive adhesives and later switched adhesives. I tell you this as I also experienced some delamination(separating) in the rand area as well BUT with older model Targhees. KEEN has since addressed this and IMO corrected the issue by changing adhesives in the more recent pars of Targhees. IMO, this is quite evident in that I don't have delamination issues like I used to. I think this is one reason why KEEN marketed it's newer improved Targhees as Targhee II's AND KEEN OR REI replaced my older versions at no expense to me after I contacted them and kindly made note of the issues I was having. Also, know that the KEEN Voyager is basically the non-WP version of the WP Targhee. Interestingly enough I've NEVER had delamination issues in several prs of Voyagers. Maybe Maybe the adhesives used in each model, the Targhees and Voyagers, have never been the same. You might try Voyagers if all other things have worked for you with the Targhees. Fit is almost always the most important factor for me in a hiking shoe! If they fit you so well as you say you too may consider that.

DandT40
11-01-2013, 10:22
I wear Vasque Wasatch GTX boots and love them - http://www.rei.com/product/721359/vasque-wasatch-gtx-hiking-boots-mens That is a hell of price too if you need 10's or 10.5's. They must be coming out with a new series. But I also bought some brooks cascadias that I wear for trail running and day hiking, but I have a really hard time leaving the Vasque's behind for backpacking because they are so comfortable and keep my feet completely dry.

misterfloyd
12-04-2013, 20:12
So.....

I'm walking in Gorges state park and get to the foothills trail on turkey day. I begin to notice a sharp pain right were the toe box begins and the first eyelet is at. The Beans developed a knife edge right were my toes meet my feet. Needless to say this was killing my feet. I broke in those shoes. I went on broke them in wearing them at work. Hiked Mt. Mitchell trail system, went hiking with my son. I noticed it then but was in denial. Denial is more than a river. Payed for it later.

I sent them back for a refund............. The drama continues......... where does a ugly man with big, wide feet, and from what every shoe specialist has said "you have high volume feet" get a pair of shoe? I'm really looking back at then keens again. Last resort though.

Might change name from misterfloyd to man with big ugly feet!

busyman
01-31-2014, 00:12
You may like Lowa Renegade. Lite,comfortable and very well made. Best boot I have ever owned.

Happy Hiking

misterfloyd
02-01-2014, 12:45
Tried Lowas, They felt great, lite and comfortable as you mentioned. Too narrow for my feet.

After dealing with MANY different outfitters REI, and others. I'm going to a podiatrist and getting the real scoop on what is the deal with my feet.

I have been suggested to work boots which goes up to 3e and 4e's but they are a different animal altogether.

As you can imagine I have heard many stories from different shoe experts.

Also in caling danner and a few other companies wides are EE I thought they would be E. Extra wide is 3e's. I currently had a pair of keen Tarhees that I took a 6 mile slow hike with me and the Mrs. and my left foot was killing me. SAme size, same company, new boot. So I go to REI and tried on a whole bunch of different size 12s to see if I just got a rummy pair. Nope

I called keen and they said they have in the past two years switched companie that have made thier shoes.....okay....... so I go to REI and try on shoes that are marked wide. the only one that fit well in the store was ASOLO fugatives. Good thing about REI, thier policy, however I never have abused thier policy and tried to size up to 13s. I will try them out this weekend, and see how they do.

What a pain.... literally. Always had good feet have been hiking for a good while.... don't get it?

Floyd

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-02-2014, 09:59
I'm still wearing the Salewa's but I had to change out the insoles as I've destroyed the stock ones. I've found insoles make a huge difference in the fit of the boot and comfort. I had a bad pressure point on the left foot with the stock insoles that has disappeared with the new ones. I guess my feet have high insteps.

I went with a sofsole airr insole after trying Superfeet and I'm shocked how much better they fit by adding a thicker insole. Totally against what I thought I needed given the pressure point. Insoles even change the fit in width which I'm still not sure how that works.

Superfeet green are wretched. I never had knee pain til I did 4.4 miles with those in. Finding a decent insole is just as difficult as finding a good boot. Only thing left to try now is Sole insoles that heat mold.

Bronk
02-02-2014, 12:14
I will echo what others have said here about Merrell...DO NOT buy them online...I read many reviews online saying that they ran small and you should buy them somewhere you can try them on...I was glad that I did...I ended up going up another half size. And the local store where I bought them had them on clearance for 40% off the best price I found online. I've never owned a pair of Keen but after reading on this thread I may give them a try...the shoe store where I bought the Merrell's also sells them and I was looking at a pair of their sandals. My biggest concern? Paying $110 for a pair of sandals that will only last me one season. I do a lot of canoeing in the summer time and I generally end up buying a new pair of sandals every year because they tend to get wet a lot and buy the end of the summer they are stinking and falling apart. Can anybody tell me if Keens will stand up to this kind of abuse?