PDA

View Full Version : Finding it hard to get in the woods.

johnnyq
08-15-2013, 22:35
It seems like as i get older i find it harder to get the time to get in the woods. I love my job and life but it seems like theres not enough time in the day. Wish i could pay my bills from the woods.

moytoy
08-15-2013, 23:25
It seems like as i get older i find it harder to get the time to get in the woods. I love my job and life but it seems like theres not enough time in the day. Wish i could pay my bills from the woods.
Well johnnyq your 4 post in to becoming an accomplished cyber hiker:) The pay is not great.

MuddyWaters
08-15-2013, 23:27
Make the time.
I have spent 4 weeks in the mountains so far this yr, with at least one more week coming.
But I have also spent 51 days in a hotel room for work too.

johnnyq
08-15-2013, 23:29
I can relate to hotel room Muddy.. I plan to do more in the woods..

HikerMom58
08-16-2013, 00:01
Welcome johnnyq... we can relate. :)

HooKooDooKu
08-16-2013, 00:06
Weekend warrior my friend...

Career and life currently make it impossible if I wanted to set out to do the AT all at one shot.

But I've been at my job enough years now that I get a good amount of vacation time, and my position is one where it's usually not a problem to take a last minute 3 or 4 day weekend and go spend a few nights in the Smoky Mountains.

PeaPicker
08-16-2013, 02:06
Make the time.
I have spent 4 weeks in the mountains so far this yr, with at least one more week coming.
But I have also spent 51 days in a hotel room for work too.

When discussing hiking the trail with my wife.We talked about a lot of things, and I kept reminding her, I could be gone 5 or 6 months.She at one point finally said to me very quietly, but with this look in her eyes I will never forget,honey just before your heart attack you spent 15 months of the last three years on the road away from home,I think I can do 6 more months.What I'm saying is TAKE the time in the woods ,as much as you can get.

daddytwosticks
08-16-2013, 07:13
Sometimes, life gets in the way of AT pleasures. That makes the limited amount of time hiking the AT that much sweeter. :)

moytoy
08-16-2013, 07:34
Just remember that some day you will be old enough to do it full time if you want. That fact keeps me off the couch and in the woods until that time comes:)

Odd Man Out
08-16-2013, 19:52
Me too. But I was able to get in 7.5 miles yesterday afternoon in the wooded dunes along lake MI, with a stop at the halfway point at the beach. Sunny, 75 degrees, and I had the trails and a couple of miles of beach all to myself.