PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness First Responder

ShakeyLeggs
08-05-2005, 06:18
I am soon taking a Wilderness First Responder course and am wondering if anyone else has taken a WFR course.

generoll
08-05-2005, 07:55
where and when will you take this? any details you can share?

canoehead
08-05-2005, 13:56
hey shakey leggs

i took my WFR 6 years ago it was a 9 day very intesive first aid program. before you start it would be helpfull if you have some firstaid background skills, but you most likely will have time to do some studying durring your training. It is important to have it if you plan on working in the outdoor / adventure field, when you go to re-cert all you need to do is pass the WFA test with a attachment for WFR atleast thats how it works with SOLO. the program is well worth the cost, I have used my skills in the backcountry here in the USA and overseas on expeditions in devolping countries. I personally, am very happy i can help when the need arises, and so are the people I was able to asist in thier time of need.
best of luck
canoehead

danbo
08-05-2005, 21:08
I just got my First Responder training along with Rescue Diving. I suspect we spent a lot more time on rescue breathing,rescue breathing in water, decompression sickness, the use of oxygen, etc for obvious reasons. And it didn't take anywhere near 9 days.

I can see evacuation of an injured person from the wilderness being an issue. But what else is unique to Wilderness First Responder. Over other 1st responders. Curious i'm thinking of getting extra trainng on oxygen, and this might also be interesting and helpful. Especially as I also spend time on the trail.

Also where do you get it, and how much does it set you back.

canoehead
08-05-2005, 21:22
hi danbo the site for SOLO is www.soloschool.com check out the site maybe they can answear your questions. (http://www.soloschool.com check out the site maybe they can answear your questions.)
I just got my First Responder training along with Rescue Diving. I suspect we spent a lot more time on rescue breathing,rescue breathing in water, decompression sickness, the use of oxygen, etc for obvious reasons. And it didn't take anywhere near 9 days.

I can see evacuation of an injured person from the wilderness being an issue. But what else is unique to Wilderness First Responder. Over other 1st responders. Curious i'm thinking of getting extra trainng on oxygen, and this might also be interesting and helpful. Especially as I also spend time on the trail.

hikerjenz
08-05-2005, 21:48
check out www.wildmed.com i took thier course. it took 8 days. very good stuff.

Sly
08-05-2005, 22:10
What does WFR course typically cost?

danbo
08-05-2005, 23:00
If I'm reading it right.It sounds like a lot more than First Responder. More like Rescue Diver, but Rescue diving deals with rescue, responses etc in an aquatic environment. Where as this is in a wilderness. We were trained not so much CPR etc. But dealing with tired, injured divers in the water. Paniced divers in and under water, unresponsive divers, searching techniques and considerations for missing divers, and just all the things you need to consider to rescue and getting a dive accident or illness victim to trained emts. Also assessing other divers who may be prone to a problem before it happens. Of course instead of snake bites we studied aquatic venomus creatures and treatment.

However, unless you're diving on a distant atoll we can call in a chopper. (Studied that. Ask the pilot to fly low. You don't want to increase the decompression sickness problems. Don't touch the lines before they touch the boat.) Whereas on the trail calling for help will likely be more difficult so you may need to provide prolonged care.

Is that difference. The need for prolonged care the difference in the time from 3 days to 8? Or is it that divers are taught self rescue from the beginning in their Open Water training. So that once you get to that level you concentrate in rescuing others.

Let's see get my deep certification this summer. My cavern certification this winter. Then the Wilderness FR. Then the AT.........

NotYet
08-05-2005, 23:09
I

WFR has some very unique protocols. Although these protocols would be unacceptable in a non-wilderness setting, they can be extemely helpful in the care of patients when definitive care is a long, long way off! For instance, you are taught the in-depth process that allows you determine whether or not to "clear" a possible spinal cord injury. You are taught how to and are allowed to reduce certain dislocations, and you are allowed to remove impaled objects if it is necessary for the safety of the patient. You are also allowed to stop CPR after a certain amount of time has passed.

The courses I took lasted 11 days (one was a day off). They were intensive and hands-on. There was only time to be in the course and study for the course. Usually the courses are heavy on simulations, and often they'll throw in some great nighttime search and rescue sims. The course gives you the opportunity to diagnose problems and predict potential problems, and you become quite adept at improvising solutions using stuff you might have with you in the great outdoors. They also make sure that you know how to write SOAP notes so that you can keep a record of what you are doing and can pass that record on to the proper professionals.

It's not cheap, but I think it's well worth it...plus it's required for employmant in most reputable outdoor programs. The course can run around $500 to $600, but often room and board is included.

I've taken courses with WMA and with SOLO. Both are excellent, but they do teach slightly different protocols.

danbo
08-06-2005, 07:15
I'm sure each teaches unique protocols and considerations unique to each environment. And situation. We probably spent more time on air embolism and near drowning that you did. Though we had to consider spinal injury etc. We deal with fewer falls. And probably carry more supplies. Seems one would give a head start on the other. And additional helpfull info for the other.

We were expected to have gone through the texts on our own time, passed the knowledge review before we got in the water and took the actual training.

500 or 600 isn't bad. Even 800. Especially if it's that long a course, And they provide lodging. Rescue Diving set me back about 450,when you add in all the additional costs for books, DVD's, CPR training for 3 days. Not counting room and board.

As I believe I mentioned before The rescue training I go. Trained me to deal with aquatic and dive accidents. But it more than anything (I believe) made me a safer diver. Because you had to look at and consider all the things that could go wrong. If this course does this it would definately be worth it.

Hopefully we'll never need the training. But if you ever do, It's priceless.

Air Head
08-06-2005, 10:34
I was an EMT for 4 years... the course work on that was two days a week for about a quarter of a year. Granted, it's a bit more than a FR would ever need to know, but I'll tell ya, if you're up for a challenge and have $500 to spend, be a volunteer. You get some amazing experience doing it.

ShakeyLeggs
08-06-2005, 14:55
I havent decided which course I am taking yet but have narrowed it down to, SOLO,NOLS, Wildmed. Planning on getting certified WFR first then going on and getting my WEMT(Wilderness EMT). Haven't decided what I will do with them. But I want to have them. While in the military I took every medical course I could get enrolled in. Ended up having taken enough to take the test for EMT but never got around to it with starting a new family and military commitments. I have always had a keen intertest in the medical field and have had the oportunity to use my training on several occasions and really like the feeling of helping and making a positive impact in someones life. So now that I am in a position to afford to get the training and certifications I am not going to let this oportunity pass me by.

danbo
08-07-2005, 19:22
Like I've said a few time now. I'm sold on the need for the training. For anyone who spends much time in the environment. My Rescue Diver taught me that.And WFR would be a good added training. Even if I never set another foot in the back country. (There may be enough there to add to previous training. If nothing else considerations on removing a spear. Or fishhook. (Someone almost caught me once.))

But I have to admit the time issue is more of a problem for a lot of folks. I plan to retire soon. So it's doable for me. But 8 or 11 days for someone with a job. Who just likes to spend a few days in the back country when they can squeeze it in. It would be nice if it were broken up into a number of weekend trainings. Or sub certifications that could lead up to the full WFR certification. (Just a thought in case someone from way upstairs is listening to this thread.)

ShakeyLeggs
08-07-2005, 21:38
But I have to admit the time issue is more of a problem for a lot of folks. I plan to retire soon. So it's doable for me. But 8 or 11 days for someone with a job. Who just likes to spend a few days in the back country when they can squeeze it in. It would be nice if it were broken up into a number of weekend trainings. Or sub certifications that could lead up to the full WFR certification. (Just a thought in case someone from way upstairs is listening to this thread.)
While doing research on courses offered I came across this course offered by
Wilderness Medicine Outfitters. Here is the link for the course schedule. (http://tinyurl.com/788fc)
They do offer multiday course schedules to spread out the time needed to certify

briarpatch
08-08-2005, 05:31
Here's a class I found in North Georgia. It looks like they teach it on two back to back weekends. I haven't taken it, so I can't comment on the content.

http://wiser-wfr.com/

Jaybird
08-08-2005, 06:56
I am soon taking a Wilderness First Responder course and am wondering if anyone else has taken a WFR course.

i took a similar course thru the local RED CROSS chapter last summer in Nashville.

It was called Wilderness first aid training.
lots of the same materials & info.

good knowledge to have when out on the trail...where ANYTHING can happen!

canoehead
08-08-2005, 07:18
hi Jaybird
your right wilderness firstaid is similar to the WFR except WFA is a 16 hour fairly intensive program and WFR is a 80-90 hour program, the basic trianing is the same but care and management are more intense. i am a instructor for the red cross WFA,CPR,AED,and first aid, both are great courses WFA costs around $150- $200 WFR costs around $600-$900.

i took a similar course thru the local RED CROSS chapter last summer in Nashville.

It was called Wilderness first aid training.
lots of the same materials & info.

good knowledge to have when out on the trail...where ANYTHING can happen!