PDA

View Full Version : thanksgiving hike

fins1838
08-16-2013, 12:50
Wondering what would be a good section to hike the AT Thanksgiving week? I figure if I head south for warmer weather would work. (From MD.) . Only section south of harpers ferry we've done is Grayson's Highlands. Maybe SNP? Any suggestions?

Alleghanian Orogeny
08-16-2013, 14:34
fins,

I'd be a lot more interested in the elevation range along a section than I would be in latitude. On average, the Smokies at > 5,000' are going to be colder/windier/snowier than the Blue Ridge in SNP, around 400 miles north. At that particular time of year, I'd also be interested in a segment's inclusion within a unit of National Forest (and much of the AT outside of the GSMNP in GA, NC, and TN is within units of NF) and what the deer hunting season rules were for that section. Lots and lots of NF lands are also public hunting lands. I have nothing whatsoever against hunting deer (in fact I think they need to be hunted more, not less), but I don't enjoy being in the woods where deer are being hunted during deer season.

AO

fins1838
08-18-2013, 17:15
Excellent point about the deer hunting. Didn't think about that!

moldy
08-18-2013, 17:26
Like the first person said, altitude more important than latitude when looking at the Southern Appalachians that time of year. SNP would be great. So would Central Virginia Dragon's tooth North to Daleville.

wnderer
08-18-2013, 17:58
I had a great hike in the Deep Creek area of the Smoky Mountains a couple of years ago on Thanksgiving. But it is a lousy drive. Saw lots of hunters on the Roller Coaster in VA on Thanksgiving.

bigcranky
08-18-2013, 19:42
I'd want to be in the Smokies or Shenandoah that week. Both are lovely in late November. It can get very cold, of course.