PDA

View Full Version : Packing A Fishing Pole

Arsenul
08-17-2013, 00:45
I plan on taking a day from each week just relaxing. I'm not a big hiker and although I can walk till I die, I will need breaks. I'd be just sitting in my hammock, reading a book, or fishing if possible. I'm curious if there are any good fishing poles that I can use which will fit easily inside of my pack. Got any ideas?

Siestita
08-17-2013, 01:52
Taking one rest day per week, either in town on along the trail, is not unusual. But "serious fishing" and "making trail miles" are different activities. Both are time intensive. Also, because much of it has deliberately been routed "up high", the AT is frequently a bit removed from streams and lakes. Fortunately though for us fishing enthusiasts, thru hiking, and AT section hiking are not the only means of enjoyably backpacking.

Over the years I've made many "short miles" multi-night back country fishing trips here in Kentucky. Initially I used, and quickly broke, several light weight but fllimsy packable rods. So, these days I take with me, depending upon my plans for a particular trip, either:

(1) a relatively rugged (think Ugly Stik), short (perhaps four or five foot) fiberglass spinning rod, carried in one of my hands. This means hiking without trekking poles, and also being careful not to leave the rod behind at rest breaks. OR

(2) A small plastic bottle or detergent cap with six pound test tied to it and wound around it. Fish don't care whether they are caught using such hand lines or brought in with a rod. Many people fish effectively with hand lines in Mexico and Central America. It helps if, along with some small bobbers and hooks, you also carry some live bait with you. For me at least, meal worms serve that purpose well, remaining alive on the trail for more days that other forms of live bait would. OR

(3) No fishing gear at all, but just that book that you mentioned...and maybe some matches so that I can play with fire.

rocketsocks
08-17-2013, 02:07
These are two of the pack rods I've used over the years

23500 This one is a ice fishing pole, it has for eyes, works pretty good..."Uglystick" by Shakespeare, and a no-name reel.

23499This is a Shakespeare "Uglystick" pretty sturdy, I don't use the case when packing it...and it goes in the outside side pocket...just gotta be mindful it's there..so not to let it get hung up on stuff...protect the tip, even though this thing is bomb proof.

Dogwood
08-17-2013, 03:26
Unless I'm doing some serious fly fishing out west on a hike/fishing trek I go with a small telescopic rod that weighs about 4- 5 oz and compacts down to something the size of a cigar with the lightest wt spinning reel loaded with 4 lb test. I take a few SMALL spinners, perhaps a couple of SMALL jigs for deeper water, a fly bobber and some flies, some split shot, and a few hooks in two or three sizes. If the rod breaks in that situation, since I'm mostly out to hike, I haven't lost or broken anything expensive. Out west I take fly and UL spinning rods and reels when it's my goal to do more fishing rather than thru-hiking.

Tuckahoe
08-17-2013, 05:50
http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/tenkara-fishing-store.html

Check out Arrowheard Equipment. They carry some fly fishing equipment with the backpacker in mind.

Xristos
08-17-2013, 09:05
You are not going to get a more packable, lighter and simpler setup than a Tenkara fly fishing setup.

DeerPath
08-17-2013, 10:13
I plan on taking a day from each week just relaxing. I'm not a big hiker and although I can walk till I die, I will need breaks. I'd be just sitting in my hammock, reading a book, or fishing if possible. I'm curious if there are any good fishing poles that I can use which will fit easily inside of my pack. Got any ideas?

Check this out. http://penfishingrods.com/shop/index.php I purchased one with spin reel. I've caught seatrout with it. You can flyfish with it also. Get their flyfish reel, or tie a tippit on with a 1/16 oz shot where the tippet attaches to the line. Little prectice but it works.
Happy Trails

Slo-go'en
08-17-2013, 10:25
Total waste of effort for a AT thru-hike. Very few oppertunities to use it and you need a license for each state you fish in. You soon realise if a piece of gear isn't used pretty much every day, your not going to want to carry it.

Arsenul
08-17-2013, 17:58
Total waste of effort for a AT thru-hike. Very few oppertunities to use it and you need a license for each state you fish in. You soon realise if a piece of gear isn't used pretty much every day, your not going to want to carry it.

Maybe for you. This hike is going to be something I will talk to my kids about when I have them. I already plan on buying fishing license and small game license for each state. And I realize after a few days the pack starts to feel heavy and you are unable to go on, but that's part of the experience. It'll fill like that even if I don't have a fishing pole. I don't plan on hiking the AT at a speed that rivals everyone. I'm taking my time on it.

Tuckahoe
08-17-2013, 18:11
Maybe for you. This hike is going to be something I will talk to my kids about when I have them. I already plan on buying fishing license and small game license for each state. And I realize after a few days the pack starts to feel heavy and you are unable to go on, but that's part of the experience. It'll fill like that even if I don't have a fishing pole. I don't plan on hiking the AT at a speed that rivals everyone. I'm taking my time on it.

+1. It's your hike, enjoy it the way you wish to.

JustaTouron
08-17-2013, 20:04
HYOH, and have fun. But you do realize this going to be very expensive? Fourteen different out of state licenses.

Dharma Dog
08-17-2013, 20:27
Always bring my fishing gear on backpacking trips. Nuthin better than fresh fish for dinner or breakfast. My setup is a St. Croix Premier 4 piece 6 foot travel rod combined with a Pflueger Supreme XT spinning reel. The quality of the St. Croix rod is amazing and only 2.8 oz. It performs better than many of my one piece rods. The weight of the Pflueger is around 6.4 oz.

Hill Ape
08-17-2013, 21:04
Thru hiking is not prepping. It is not WROL or TEOTWAWKI. Enjoy your experience

Dogwood
08-17-2013, 21:11
http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/tenkara-fishing-store.html

Check out Arrowheard Equipment. They carry some fly fishing equipment with the backpacker in mind.

You are not going to get a more packable, lighter and simpler setup than a Tenkara fly fishing setup.

Tenkara packable multi-piece fly rods, especially for the price, wt, and action are HARD to beat when mainly hiking. Those tiny pen rods are SUPER LIGHT wt, compact, and not overly expensive but they lack action IMHO. But they will work on the AT if you looking for something with those qualities
and just want to fool around fishing a bit. Ugly Stick and Shakespeare make cheapy telescoping rods too that are under $30.

garyp
08-17-2013, 21:55

As a avid fishing person with both, Fly and spinning I have to agree the Tenkara would suit me better than my currenty 2wt. it is half the weight of my total 2wt fly rod with my reel and rod combined.

Another Kevin
08-17-2013, 22:02
I don't do long distance hiking, so I can't comment about taking a rod on a thru. And I won't recommend unlicensed fishing, because the moderators don't approve of such things. But I've had fishing licenses at home, and there's plenty of backpacking right here in my home state.

Once, a long time ago, I was at a beautiful and remote stream on a hike, and improvised a fly from a safety pin and a couple of feathers that had leaked from a down sleeping bag, tied with dental floss. I just dabbled it with a handline (thread unraveled from the webbing of a belt, if I recall), and damned if a big trout didn't take it! (When they're hungry, they'll go for anything!) Of course, on a handline, and with no net, I didn't really have any way to land him, and eventually he slipped the barbless hook. A pity, really, he looked tasty. (Rice or couscous, dried veggies, and pieces of fresh trout laid on top to steam while the glop underneath cooks - ambrosia on the trail!)

I know, that's not fishing, that's just messing around. But if an officer had spotted me, I'd have had a ticket for not displaying my license. (I didn't even have one on me, I wasn't expecting to fish.)

Rolls Kanardly
08-17-2013, 22:43
Good luck fishing Arnesul

I checked a few of the first states of a NOBO hike and I was told to forget about Georgia. Too much going on in the beginning of your hike. The license fees can be expensive for out of state anglers in all the states for the full hike. I plan on making a pole on the trail. I will buy a couple of eye line guides and modify them to attach to a small stick I will smooth down. I will carry four lb test and very small hooks, a few split shot and some trout bait. Maybe a worm of two I can dig up on the trail. Last time I did this I went north in AZ just for a ride. Got to a small trout stream and saw a guy with waders, a creel, fancy hat, good looking fly rod and he was really quite good at throwing the line out. I cut a small branch off a tree, tied the line on and cut 3 trout while he caught nothing. He did not know how to read the stream. I will buy a license in every state I fish in although probably only one or two due to the cost. I have been thinking about carring fishing gear as long as I have been thinking about my other gear. I would really love to finish a thru hike and say I fished in every state but do not think that is going to happen. Rolls

23513$100 at a better fishing and hunting stores Good kit combos about $30 too.

HooKooDooKu
08-17-2013, 23:50
I found a 5'+ pole that telescopes down to about 1' at the Bass Pro Shop. I picked it up to take when I go hiking with my son in GSMNP. The pole takes any standard reel, but I also found a little crappy real that is pretty small as well.

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 00:47
http://www.sportchalet.com/product/301592_3064467.do?g=adult-unisex&kwid=shakespeare+complete+telescoping+s

It's not that durable and the action is so so but it's less than $20. Substitute with a more compact lighter wt reel and it's usable though from time to time if mostly hiking and not primarily on a fishing trip. You have to be gentle in using and mindful of how you store/carry it. I put a nicer eye tip on the two I have or coat the guides with nail polish to protect the line and increase durability of the guides. Personally, I would do some pre-hike fishing research of what specific waterways I might want to fish on an AT hike(such as a AT thru-hike) and bump(mail) it ahead to USPOs for pick up just before that planned fishing stop and then mail it back out to my next anticipated fishing stop. Personally, I would like to see a single multi state fishing/hunting/foraging permit for people like AT hikers similar to the PCT 500+ mile permit that covers camping permits for the entire PCT.

Del Q
08-18-2013, 10:32
On my last section hike my Chiropractor suggested that I take some line and a hook.

I played Tom Sawyer, used a 6-7 foot stick, tied the line on it, hook, some cheese.................sat by the bank, had dinner, used a small stick as a way to float the bait above the bottom.

Was not really concerned about local / state fish & game laws, the chances of me catching a fish would get more laughs than fines.

The setup was so solid that I found a way to secure it through the night..............in the morning, cheese was still there.

Packed everything up and moved on, maybe I will be more succesful in the future. As for carrying more gear, worked HARD to get my pack under 30 lbs with food and water, not thinking of ever adding fishing gear.

The Greenman
08-18-2013, 12:18
Just sort of "thinkin out loud" here, but it sure would be nice for the ATC to perhaps come up with an AT fishing license - maybe even a separate north and south license... only "good" in waters within 5 miles of AT?? I understand it might be a nightmare of negotiating with the states involved, but maybe it's a topic worth discussing? Anyway, an "AT" fishing license is something I've been thinking about for years! Price could be negotiated - maybe issue them with 6 month intervals, instead of yearly(?)

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 13:59
Just sort of "thinkin out loud" here, but it sure would be nice for the ATC to perhaps come up with an AT fishing license - maybe even a separate north and south license... only "good" in waters within 5 miles of AT?? I understand it might be a nightmare of negotiating with the states involved, but maybe it's a topic worth discussing? Anyway, an "AT" fishing license is something I've been thinking about for years! Price could be negotiated - maybe issue them with 6 month intervals, instead of yearly(?)

It prolly wouldn't be done though because the effort required to have this option does not warrant the demand.

I said this, "personally, I would do some pre-hike fishing research of what specific waterways I might want to fish on an AT hike(such as a AT thru-hike) and bump(mail) it ahead to USPOs for pick up just before that planned fishing stop and then mail it back out to my next anticipated fishing stop" not just from a packing and hauling perspective but also so that you could cut down on this as Arenul is contemplating, "I already plan on buying fishing license and small game license for each state." Buying 14 different states fishing licenses, especially out of state fishing licenses(he says he's from MI), is going to be a prohibitively costly affair for the majority of AT thru-hikers. Combine that with, at least IMO, that some of the AT states don't have all that great of fishing near the AT anyway. What you might get away with, say if you wanted to fish the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers near Harpers Ferry, is have one out of state fishing license(the cheapest to obtain) that would cover those rivers rather than buying three separate VA, WV, and MD licenses. As stated I also wouldn't buy one for GA either. AGAIN, look ahead pre-hike at what waterways very near or on the AT that you might want to fish and ONLY buy licenses for those states. That would require a little more planning but it would make you legal, reduce carrying fishing gear full time on a thru-hike, and be so much less costly and cumbersome. HEAR ME!

Personally, I think it makes much greater sense to buy a CA fishing license for someone hiking the JMT, CT, or doing a longer duration Sierras hike.

As a NOBO AT thru-hiker who already understands some of the possible fishing opps on or VERY close to the AT AND who hast done a little bit of fishing himself(say once a wk or every two wks) AND who also knows what an AT thru-hike entails I would start by just buying a VA and ME fishing license. On an AT thru-hike you'll be spending the most amount of time in any of the 14 AT thru-hiking states in VA AND VA has quite a few near or on the AT fishing opps AND you'll be hitting VA during the summer. Might be a pleasant diversion to do some fishing in VA on an AT thru-hike PROVIDED YOU CAN ESCAPE THE GOOTA GO GOTTA GO GOTTA BE DOWN THE TRAIL DOING SOMETHING ELSE TYPICAL THRU-HIKER MENTALITY! ME has quite a few near and on the AT fishing opps too! AND, wouldn't it be memorable to be at the end of your NOBO AT thru-hike and catching some Maine fish in early Fall as the leaves start changing?

HYOH. You can make it work if you want.

Let me wrap this up. Arsenul, I see you're 21, from MI, and prolly have never done a 4-5 month thru-hike. The AT has fishing opps but it prolly isn't this huge remote wilderness experience that you think it is with all these fishing/huntings opps around each bend in the trail that you'll be able to take FULL advantage of on a thru-hike. I think, once you get into a thru-hike you'll find you're not fishing as often as you think you will. It's admirable that you're thinking about purchasing 14 different states fishing/hunting licenses BUT DON"T DO IT. You'd be wasting money and it would prolly turn into a huge hassle. Prioritize what your doing. If it's thru-hiking do that with a little planned fishing along the way. Ratchet down the amount of fishing you think you will be doing! It's gonna happen anyway. If it's to come east and hike and fish along some of the AT do that. If you think you are going to COMPLETE an actual AT thru-hike and also be fishing/hunting on a regular basis that's prolly not gonna happen. Something is going to likely suffer. Also, licensing in other states is prolly something you haven't researched. The licensing in other states may NOT be what you are familiar with in Michigan. Just trying to help ya.

Bronk
08-19-2013, 02:16
Fishing opportunities are few and far between...I only saw one person in 850 miles with a fishing pole, and he had never used it.

Dogwood
08-19-2013, 03:36
Immediately, without giving it much thought, can come up with 6-8 rivers, at least half a dozen reservoirs/large lakes, a dozen streams, and umpteen ponds or small lakes I wouldn't mind dropping a line into on or within 2 miles of the AT. You're right though Bonk it's not like you have a new place to fish each night on an AT thru-hike. FOR ME either I couldn't justify having fishing licenses in 14 states or carrying fishing gear throughout a AT thru-hike.

Old Hillwalker
08-19-2013, 06:45
If you get up here in Maine , have your light gear shipped to Gorham, NH and get a Maine cold water license. I was up at Speck Pond campsite this past Thursday and Friday playing around in Mahoosuc Notch and was frustrated seeing all the Eastern Brook Trout rising for insects. The care taker was saying that whenever he fly fished in the pond, virtually every cast produced a strike in the AM or PM. The pond was stocked by helicopter several years ago, and almost never gets fished since it is a very long and hard hike to access the pond from the nearest drivable road. One drawback is that no fires are allowed at Speck Pond campsite, so unless you carry something like the "Bakepacker" you will be eating Sushi. I posted a list of Trout waters here on WB this Spring. You should be able to find it through a search.

Arsenul
08-19-2013, 19:41
Thru hiking is not prepping. It is not WROL or TEOTWAWKI. Enjoy your experience

I'm treating it as such though.

Arsenul
08-19-2013, 19:42
I think I'll try some ideas with the yoyo fishing traps I have and see if there are any good ways of attaching it to the end of a stick and using that as a fishing pole.

Hill Ape
08-19-2013, 20:58
I'm treating it as such though.

I know, I watched all of your youtube videos

Fur Queue
08-19-2013, 21:29
Maine is great for fishing opportunities...I carried 15ft of braid threaded with a 10mm rubber ball (which acted as a bobber and a casting weight). Hook was pre tied and the whole thing wound round a small piece of cardboard and fitted into an old 35mm film canister...I made one up for my boy as well, wound on the same piece of card...A couple of spare hooks just in case...Choose a stick that suits and you are good to go...worked a treat! ;)

Another Kevin
08-19-2013, 23:02
If you get up here in Maine , have your light gear shipped to Gorham, NH and get a Maine cold water license. I was up at Speck Pond campsite this past Thursday and Friday playing around in Mahoosuc Notch and was frustrated seeing all the Eastern Brook Trout rising for insects. The care taker was saying that whenever he fly fished in the pond, virtually every cast produced a strike in the AM or PM. The pond was stocked by helicopter several years ago, and almost never gets fished since it is a very long and hard hike to access the pond from the nearest drivable road. One drawback is that no fires are allowed at Speck Pond campsite, so unless you carry something like the "Bakepacker" you will be eating Sushi. I posted a list of Trout waters here on WB this Spring. You should be able to find it through a search.

No need for the Bakepacker. (I carry a Fauxbaker, but wouldn't use it for trout.) Trout is great steamed on top of rice and veggies in your cookpot. You have to use real rice for the fish to steam properly. Which takes more fuel. Life is full of tradeoffs. But I'll trade off a lot for steamed fresh-caught trout. Over rice, with my Italian-ish dehydrated vegetable mix, some herbs and a squirt of olive oil. (All of which I'd likely have along, along with a chunk of abruzzese or soppresata which would go in the mix if I didn't have fresh fish.) Trout risotto. Mmmm.

If I ever figured out a cookset that would include a skillet and still be light enough for me to be willing to carry it, I'd dredge the trout in some biscuit mix and herbs and fry it in olive oil.

Honestly, you people have no imagination.

mattyoc20
08-22-2013, 17:04
I know Orvis makes a fly rod (cant think of the name) that weighs only 4 oz or something crazy and that's with the real. It believe it breaks down into 7 pieces. The only kicker is that it will run around $1500. I was trying to talk my dad into buying one (that way I could use it to)

Dogwood
08-22-2013, 18:36
No need for the Bakepacker. (I carry a Fauxbaker, but wouldn't use it for trout.) Trout is great steamed on top of rice and veggies in your cookpot. You have to use real rice for the fish to steam properly. Which takes more fuel. Life is full of tradeoffs. But I'll trade off a lot for steamed fresh-caught trout. Over rice, with my Italian-ish dehydrated vegetable mix, some herbs and a squirt of olive oil. (All of which I'd likely have along, along with a chunk of abruzzese or soppresata which would go in the mix if I didn't have fresh fish.) Trout risotto. Mmmm.

If I ever figured out a cookset that would include a skillet and still be light enough for me to be willing to carry it, I'd dredge the trout in some biscuit mix and herbs and fry it in olive oil.

Honestly, you people have no imagination.

My thoughts too. A tiny 6-7" wide stainless or aluminum, or if you have the do re mi, titanium fry pan, a bit of EVOO, and some bread crumbs w/ herbs fried over a campstove and ohh la la. BAM! Do it in the Sierras. Heck, even without the fry pan I've fried chunk size pieces of trout in my Snow Peak Mini Soloist pot or just lightly boiled the fish and added it to trail meals. AK, you made me hungry with the thought of your simple recipe. THX Old Hillwalker for the Speck Pond fishing info.

shakey_snake
08-25-2013, 10:30
Maybe for you. This hike is going to be something I will talk to my kids about when I have them.
Be prepared to tell them how little fishing you did.

I already plan on buying fishing license and small game license for each state. And I realize after a few days the pack starts to feel heavy and you are unable to go on, but that's part of the experience. It'll fill like that even if I don't have a fishing pole. I don't plan on hiking the AT at a speed that rivals everyone. I'm taking my time on it.

Can I suggest something---radical? Consider hiking the PCT if it's really important to do some fishing while thru-hiking to you. The high glaciated lakes and streams of the Cascades and Sierras are a lot more conductive to what you are looking for. Plus, big states make for fewer state licenses to buy. :D

quasarr
08-25-2013, 11:09
My buddy on the PCT caught five gorgeous, 10 inch trout in under an hour with a home made fly and a line tied to his trekking pole. I saw it with my own eyes! And he did the same thing a few more times, although the fish weren't as big. Just something to consider, instead of bringing another piece if gear. And like Snakey said, the fishing on the PCT is excellent!! (Once you get to the part with water, that is) :)

Here's a link to the photo, couldn't get it to load on WB

http://thewolfweb.com/photos/00531191.jpg

Dogwood
08-25-2013, 11:26
My buddy on the PCT caught five gorgeous, 10 inch trout in under an hour with a home made fly and a line tied to his trekking pole. I saw it with my own eyes! And he did the same thing a few more times, although the fish weren't as big. Just something to consider, instead of bringing another piece if gear. And like Snakey said, the fishing on the PCT is excellent!! (Once you get to the part with water, that is) :)

Here's a link to the photo, couldn't get it to load on WB

http://thewolfweb.com/photos/00531191.jpg

On my first JMT thru I watched a fisherman at Rae Lakes catch or get bites on 30 casts out of 33 with just using a little Rooster Tail. Sierras are a GREAT place to pack in a pole. Oodles of fishing opps on a regular basis. Most of those fish(trout species) have never seen a fishing lure, hook, or artificial fly. Saw one guy catching 10" Brookies(they are easy to catch compared to Browns, Goldens, or Cuttthroats) by tying a piece of red yarn onto a hook, casting it out, and simply retrieving at a constant pace. I usually care a rod in the Sierras. Again, I wouldn't carry a rod/reel on an entire PCT thru. Pick your fishing spots and adjust the logistics. Thinking you are going to fish regularly or very often on a thru-hike of any long distance trails such as the Triple Crown trails isn't likely to happen. Prioritize what you're doing.

Yes, Shakey Snake that is radical but also spot on. If you simply wanted to wander the Sierras combining a hiking and fishing triop you could do it all summer and into the Fall IF you really wanted.

Arsenul
08-26-2013, 01:14
Is there a website similar to this one for that hike?

Dogwood
08-26-2013, 01:32
Beginning to sound like you want more of a fishing trip than a thru-hike. Heck, why don't you head up to Isle Royale NP from the UP, rent or take a kayak/canoe, and fish and hike until you've had your fill. No need to get into this thru-hiking frame of mind to do a bit of hiking and fishing. It's my guess by the content of your posts that you don't want or need a thru-hike. You could spend quite a bit of time in Minnesota doing a Boundary Waters canoe/hiking trek too. Get tired of so much fishing hit the Superior Trail south. Check into those ideas and do some of that first. Sounds like you have little idea of what a thru-hike entails and the quality and amount of fishing you'd being doing on one of the Triple Crown Trails. Sounds like you might better be off hitting the Sierras like the JMT doing a shorter thru-hike or, at the most, a section of one of the Triple Crown Trails and doing some quality fishing. Forget the AT/PCT thru-hike.

Just Bill
08-26-2013, 09:14
Backpacking Light just did two articles on Tenkara fishing. Fishing and Golf are two hobbies I'm saving for later in life- but Tenkara certainly goes well with backpacking. They had several setups at 4 ounces and under.

quasarr
08-26-2013, 10:54
Is there a website similar to this one for that hike?

Whiteblaze has forums for the PCT (Pacific Crest Trail) and JMT (John Muir Trail) under "other long trails."

Another Kevin
08-26-2013, 11:14
Backpacking Light just did two articles on Tenkara fishing. Fishing and Golf are two hobbies I'm saving for later in life- but Tenkara certainly goes well with backpacking. They had several setups at 4 ounces and under.

Fishing is OK. I like fish.

Golf is just hiking ruined by a little white ball.

Dogwood
08-26-2013, 16:16
To the OP, what do you all think about playing through, golfing down the trail, on my AT thru-hike?

The Greenman
08-26-2013, 18:13
Fishing is OK. I like fish.

Golf is just hiking ruined by a little white ball.

Now THAT is the best definition for golf that I have ever heard!!