PDA

View Full Version : USFS 42 - general condition for vehicle access to start of AT?

Saluki
08-17-2013, 06:39
What sort of road is the USFS 42? I've an AWD Subaru and wondered if it would be suitable to get to the parking area where the AT crosses this road. Is the road graveled, dirt, big rocks, mud or what. The Subi is ok for a bit of rough but it's not a high-clearance 4WD like a Jeep Wrangler.

No Directions
08-17-2013, 07:07
It is gravel and in good condition. There is an occasional pot hole but practically any car should be able to make it. Enter from Doublehead Gap Rd for a shorter ride on dirt.

max patch
08-17-2013, 08:36
I used to drive an MG Midget on fs 42. You'll be fine.

Slo-go'en
08-17-2013, 10:03
Just don't approch from the east via the Winding Stairs Gap road. That one is insaine. I managed to get a AWD Suburu up that road - barely. It was also the most exciting part of the trip when it turned into little more than a cow path along the side of a cliff!

Saluki
08-17-2013, 13:44
It is gravel and in good condition. There is an occasional pot hole but practically any car should be able to make it. Enter from Doublehead Gap Rd for a shorter ride on dirt.

Thanks for the tip. Sounds like it should be OK for my Forester:)

Saluki
08-17-2013, 14:42
Checked on Google maps for the area north of GA hwy 52, to access the AT from USFS 42. The simplified map of the area in my "A.T Guide - Northbound" (pg10), makes it look like there's just a couple of intersections where a choice has to be made. The Google maps shows there are dozens of rural roads in the area. Are any of them signed? Looks like an easy place to get lost! Any detailed directions on which roads to take to get to the AT parking area?

max patch
08-17-2013, 18:57
From GA 52(about 5 miles outside of Ellijay) turn onto Big Creek Road (Dollar General at Intersection) for 12.5 miles. The Mt Pleasant Baptist Church will be on your left. FS 42 will be on your right. Take the FS road 6.5 miles to the Springer parking lot.

Hill Ape
08-17-2013, 20:49
52 east out of Ellijay. Max gave good directions. Left on Big Creek Rd becomes Doublehead Gap Rd. FS 42 is signed as Blue Ridge WMA. Your car will be fine to drive

Saluki
08-18-2013, 14:07
From GA 52(about 5 miles outside of Ellijay) turn onto Big Creek Road (Dollar General at Intersection) for 12.5 miles. The Mt Pleasant Baptist Church will be on your left. FS 42 will be on your right. Take the FS road 6.5 miles to the Springer parking lot.

Thanks, that helps conciderably!

slbirdnerd
08-18-2013, 16:28
Shuttlers Joyce and Sally both have Subaru Outbacks and shuttle up USFS 42 on a pretty regular basis. They did fine, I'm guessing with any car, you just have to take it easy and watch where you're going. (That's my next car!)