PDA

View Full Version : Golite Jam 50 or Osprey Exos 46

msumax1985
08-17-2013, 13:03
I was about to pull the trigger on the Jam 50, but found an Exos 46 for $143. This puts them both in similar price range, so price is now a non-factor between the two, for me. (price is the primary reason I'm not going with a GG or ULA) I'm trying to decide if the frame and sturdiness of the Exos 46 is worth the extra 7 ounces. Plus, I don't know if I'll really need the extra sturdiness.

With all my extra clothes and colder weather gear, my base weight is around 16 lbs. So I should only rarely exceed 25 lbs fully loaded.

1) I'm sure the Exos will carry better at 30 lbs than the Jam. But what about at 24 lbs? Will there be a noticeable difference between them if I'm routinely around 21-24 lbs? I know the Exos gives me a little extra flexibility, but at only 46 or 50 liters, I'm not going to fit much more gear anyway. If they both carry the same in this weight range, why would I add the extra 7 ounces?

2) Could you carry a wet tent in the outside pocket of the Exos? Because of the design, it looks like you could stuff a wet tent into that pocket, even if a little hung out the top. (Copper Spur UL1) This might make the Exos a better option in wet weather. The Jam has a fixed size external pocket. Or am I wrong about the pockets? Maybe I could just leave the Jam pocket unzipped and achieve the same result?

I appreciate anyone's input in comparing the two.

Alligator
08-17-2013, 15:45
I haven't seen a Jam 50 up close. The Exos 46 is great for organization if that is important. The outside pocket is about 9 inches wide at the bottom, 10 at the top, 12 inches to the top of the pocket and about 5-6 inches when pulled out. The Exos has a second pocket under the external pocket. I like to put my raingear in there. Tarp in the external pocket. There is a top lid with a map pocket. I have had packs without a top lid and I simply prefer it as there are certain tems I prefer easy access to and the volume of a top lid helps do that.

Not Sunshine
08-18-2013, 07:40
I use the Osprey Talon 44L and I really, really like it. I think it's something like 2 lbs 2 oz. Plenty of room for me.

nastynate
08-18-2013, 07:58
My exos carries very well but I've only had about 25lbs in it. I think you would be hard pressed to get the whole tent in the outside pocket without it hanging out at the top. Just the rain fly would be no problem. I don't have any experience with the jam.

Matt65
08-18-2013, 11:13
I have had no problems carrying 30lbs with my JAM 50. This happens some during winter months. I got it on sale a year or so back and have been extremely pleased with it. It does better than you might think. I would buy it again, even at full price. The way my GoLite has performed after a long day hiking I just don't think you'll wish you got the heavier pack. Besides, chances are you will continue to shed mass and stay well within the JAMs comfortable load carrying capabilities.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Kerosene
08-18-2013, 11:38
I think you will get a comfier ride with a heavier-duty frame setup down to about 20 pounds. Below that, I'm not sure you will sense as much of a difference unless you have a very slight build.

daddytwosticks
08-18-2013, 13:10
Just a note, I heard the entire line of Exos packs will be redesigned for next spring. They are to be made lighter and more streamlined. :)

slbirdnerd
08-18-2013, 16:37
I love Osprey packs but can't find a good fit... I do think your Copper Spur 1 will fit in the mesh pocket (they are stretchy, right?). I have a Fly Creek 2 and think it would even fit in there--with the fly.

q-tip
08-19-2013, 11:58
you might look at the GG Crown VC- 60 L AND 2.2.LBS---a thought

msumax1985
08-21-2013, 14:19
Thanks for the input everyone.

Decided to go with the Exos mainly due to versatility. I saw where someone removed the floating lid of their Exos and reduced the weight to 2.0 pounds. That would make it very similar to the Jam which doesnt have a lid. Except I'll still have a frame and better support. And then I always have the option of adding the lid. I love Golite and have a lot of their gear, but went with the Exos in this case.

I did see the video on the revised Exos due out next year. The appearance is different, but seems to be esentially the same design.

CB1821
08-21-2013, 14:41
Just a note, I heard the entire line of Exos packs will be redesigned for next spring. They are to be made lighter and more streamlined. :)

You are correct. I just picked up my new Exos 46 :) yesterday and the store owner showed me in the catelog what the new Exos 46's will look like. I don't know what will change from a technical standpoint (although I think the new model will weigh slightly less), but the packs look much different. I prefer the subdued green/black colors of the pack I purchased over the "stand out", flashy colors of the redesigned version, so I am happy I did not wait a year.

daddytwosticks
08-21-2013, 15:57
You are correct. I just picked up my new Exos 46 :) yesterday and the store owner showed me in the catelog what the new Exos 46's will look like. I don't know what will change from a technical standpoint (although I think the new model will weigh slightly less), but the packs look much different. I prefer the subdued green/black colors of the pack I purchased over the "stand out", flashy colors of the redesigned version, so I am happy I did not wait a year. Yeah. I told my wife I "need" a new pack. Will probably go with an Exos 46. Now, do I wait for the new model, or go w/the old? :)

CB1821
08-21-2013, 19:01
Yeah. I told my wife I "need" a new pack. Will probably go with an Exos 46. Now, do I wait for the new model, or go w/the old? :)

Did a quick Google search and found lots of info on the new Exos packs on line as people indicated. If I have my facts correct, it looks like they lightened them by an average of 2 ounces, the 46 is now a 48, and blue is certainly “bright” (but the black does not seem to be too much different than the one I purchased).

I have to admit that the webbing on the hip belt and shoulder straps looked on the video to be a little more substantial (and perhaps more comfortable), but the best feature/change seemed to me to be the detachable lid with a corresponding flap (they call it the “Flap Jack”:rolleyes:) underneath that can be pulled over the top opening to act as a “replacement lid that will close up the pack to the elements - as the OP was indicating he might do. That would make it even lighter.

I would be tempted to wait had I had not already purchased the current model. But then I got the Exos now because my son and I are planning to do several shorter hikes (3 – 4 days) this fall and I wanted something lighter/smaller than my Atmos 65(my son got the Osprey Talon 44 for the same reason and is as thrilled with it as not sunshine is with his), and I at least know that this model is really comfortable.

Wait or buy now….. tough choice :-?

daddytwosticks
08-22-2013, 07:47
Did a quick Google search and found lots of info on the new Exos packs on line as people indicated. If I have my facts correct, it looks like they lightened them by an average of 2 ounces, the 46 is now a 48, and blue is certainly “bright” (but the black does not seem to be too much different than the one I purchased).

I have to admit that the webbing on the hip belt and shoulder straps looked on the video to be a little more substantial (and perhaps more comfortable), but the best feature/change seemed to me to be the detachable lid with a corresponding flap (they call it the “Flap Jack”:rolleyes:) underneath that can be pulled over the top opening to act as a “replacement lid that will close up the pack to the elements - as the OP was indicating he might do. That would make it even lighter.

I would be tempted to wait had I had not already purchased the current model. But then I got the Exos now because my son and I are planning to do several shorter hikes (3 – 4 days) this fall and I wanted something lighter/smaller than my Atmos 65(my son got the Osprey Talon 44 for the same reason and is as thrilled with it as not sunshine is with his), and I at least know that this model is really comfortable.

Wait or buy now….. tough choice :-? Thanks for the info summary. Happy hiking. :)