PDA

View Full Version : Pecks Corner and Cosby Knob closed due to bear activity

No Directions
08-17-2013, 14:20
FYI I got an email from the GSMNP permit office that these two shelters are closed. The permit office was very helpful in changing our permit. It's going to make for 2 long days for us.

SawnieRobertson
08-17-2013, 15:22
Since you did not pass on the reasons for the closures, I presume it was because of aggressive bears. Was it?

No Directions
08-17-2013, 16:04
Yes. It's in the thread title.

mikec
08-17-2013, 18:01
If this keeps up they will bring back the fences in front of the shelters.

Rasty
08-17-2013, 18:57
If this keeps up they will bring back the fences in front of the shelters.

A few shelters get closed every summer. They usually reopen in the fall.

MuddyWaters
08-17-2013, 18:57
I think removing fences was an absolute success in getting peoples behaviors changed, I dont see them going back the other way.

Last year I found a 1lb pack of spaghetti at Cosby, which I packed out. Someone left it probably because a mouse nibbled the corner of the box.
Thats the type of behavior that causes problems.
We knew for sure a trail maintenace crew had spent the previous night there, we met them on the trail. None of them packed it out, nor did any of the other several people we met that had spent the night there.

HooKooDooKu
08-18-2013, 00:02
When the GSMNP gets a problem bear at a shelter or campsite, they close the shelter/site down for one month. That gives the bear enough time to learn it's not going to get a meal there and moves on.

Last year, the bears were very active. I couldn't to a hike in the GSMNP without seeing a bear while hiking or at least while driving to the trail head. There seemed to perpetually be about 3 to 5 shelters/site (+/-) shut down all season long.

This year, I've been on 4 weekend trips and have yet to see a bear. There seems to have been a lot fewer closures this year as well.

joshuasdad
08-18-2013, 07:07
FYI I got an email from the GSMNP permit office that these two shelters are closed. The permit office was very helpful in changing our permit. It's going to make for 2 long days for us.

Please do not underestimate Newfound Gap to Tricorner Knob (which I'm guessing is your replacement shelter). Looks easy on paper, and is easy to thrus. Day and section hikers have had problems. Water is scarce in that section, and dehydrated hikers are just asking for trouble.

No Directions
08-19-2013, 18:35
Please do not underestimate Newfound Gap to Tricorner Knob (which I'm guessing is your replacement shelter). Looks easy on paper, and is easy to thrus. Day and section hikers have had problems. Water is scarce in that section, and dehydrated hikers are just asking for trouble.

Yes we switched to Tricorner Knob and Davenport Gap. That is two 15+ mile days back to back. I'm not looking forward to that but what choice do I have? I have hiked over 175 miles of mountain trails this year with the longest day being 16.2 (yesterday).

surfilm
08-24-2013, 20:22
Yes we switched to Tricorner Knob and Davenport Gap. That is two 15+ mile days back to back. I'm not looking forward to that but what choice do I have? I have hiked over 175 miles of mountain trails this year with the longest day being 16.2 (yesterday).

Water on this section (and pretty much all areas of GSMNP) is plentiful this year. Last I checked the area was 20 inches above their avg rainfall for the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free (http://tapatalk.com/m/)

joshuasdad
08-25-2013, 00:06
Water on this section (and pretty much all areas of GSMNP) is plentiful this year. Last I checked the area was 20 inches above their avg rainfall for the year.

I don't recall any streams or springs between Icewater and Tricorner, unless you hike over to the now closed Pecks shelter. Much of that hike is right on a ridgeline. I was looking for them too, as I headed out from Tricorner with way too little water (thought my camelback was full, but realized soon after leaving that it was not). There is a portion of trail when you are on the south side of the ridge, downhill from Pecks, where on a high water year I would expect a few cascading streams.

joshuasdad
08-25-2013, 00:23

I don't think you have any other choice if you want to do this section now, though you could shorten the first day by a miniscule bit by staying at Icewater Springs (sp?) shelter the first night. Day 1 is my biggest concern, as it is at higher altitude, is more rolling, and is more up than down. We did have a section hiker die on that section earlier this year, probably from hypothermia (via dehydration and/or exhaustion?).

If you start off really early (suggest before sunrise), carry/wear proper clothing, and pay close attention to hydration and energy levels, you should have no trouble, though I am concerned that Day 1 is close to your recent historical max day. Day 2 should be quite easy, especially as much of that section is horse trail (i.e., easy grades).

I received quite a bit of criticism for warning section hikers about this section, as it is easy for thru hikers. I personally think the high altitude GSMNP is the most dangerous section of the AT for section hikers, because it looks easy on paper, but the altitude, weather, and somewhat rough terrain can lead to problems.

Hope you have a great hike!

whiskeyjr
08-25-2013, 14:46
Since you did not pass on the reasons for the closures, I presume it was because of aggressive bears. Was it?
i am a trail maintainer for pecks corner area i stayed around pecks shelter and we had a bear tore up a couple tents and stoled a couple backpacks i say it wasnt aggressive it wasnt easily scared though i can imagine why they shut it down

Chappy
08-25-2013, 19:26
i am a trail maintainer for pecks corner area i stayed around pecks shelter and we had a bear tore up a couple tents and stoled a couple backpacks i say it wasnt aggressive it wasnt easily scared though i can imagine why they shut it down

Tents around the Pecks shelter? Not supposed to happen.

Rasty
08-25-2013, 19:29

Tents around the Pecks shelter? Not supposed to happen.

Thru hikers, maintainers and ridge runners tent all the time in GSMNP.