PDA

View Full Version : Boxer, Briefs or Boxer Briefs

bailyrosco
08-05-2005, 12:19
I was reading the thread about "To Hang or not to Hang? Food that is" and I got to thinking. I have only done short hikes and maybe 100 miles total on the AT over the years. I can bet a longer hike could bother me but I am not sure. For you young guys this is not an issue YET. For us older guys who have been touched by gravity, has this been an issue? Let's try to remember the only stupid question is the one not asked, and maybe this one.:-?

HikerHobo
08-05-2005, 12:26
You must hang out in a centrifuge. You ain't even old, yet.

For you young guys this is not an issue YET. For us older guys who have been touched by gravity, has this been an issue?

bailyrosco
08-05-2005, 12:42
I am not a medical expert but the past 5 years things have changed it has become more of a problem when walking or running. I still run twice a week but I am very aware of this issue. So basically am I crazy or do other honest individuals out there have the same issues? If everyone says this should not be an issue than maybe I need to go seek medical advice.

Footslogger
08-05-2005, 12:43
Unless you've got a history of hernia or weak pelvic floor muscles you shouldn't have a problem. I hiked sans underwear the entire way in 2003 without any ill consequences. Let em breathe ...

In the now famous words of Seinfeld ..." I was out here, and I was lovin it" !!

'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2005, 12:55
I'm an older lady and I find commando with a longish skirt to be the best for me, but I am hiking with an older fellow who knows about gravity. We tried a lot of things and finally settled on microfiber seamless briefs - Merona brand from Target. They keep things up and out of the way, don't have seams that can cause chaffing, breath well and dry quickly when washed on the trail.

Lanthar Mandragoran
08-05-2005, 13:06
I'm an older lady and I find commando with a longish skirt to be the best for me, but I am hiking with an older fellow who knows about gravity. We tried a lot of things and finally settled on microfiber seamless briefs - Merona brand from Target. They keep things up and out of the way, don't have seams that can cause chaffing, breath well and dry quickly when washed on the trail.
Those Meronas are extremely comfortable, to bad the shirt isn't good for warm weather

Lone Wolf
08-05-2005, 13:12
I haven't worn underwear for 25 years or so. I run every day and have hiked thousands of miles. No problem with the hang low.

Gadog430
08-05-2005, 13:17
From the girl side....I wear leggings when I hike in the winter, and commando in the summer with my REI hiking shorts. Just sayin... No problems here.

Dawg

gr8fulyankee
08-05-2005, 13:47
In the now famous words of Seinfeld ..." I was out here, and I was lovin it" !!

'Slogger
Actually It was Kramer, and he said ... " I'm out there, And I'm loving it!"

Footslogger
08-05-2005, 13:55
Actually It was Kramer, and he said ... " I'm out there, And I'm loving it!"=================================
Well ...I was close !!

'Slogger

HikeLite
08-05-2005, 14:13
I wear boxer briefs these days because I like the jewels to feel secure...just like Butthead. I couldn't do the commando thang.

PKH
08-05-2005, 14:38
I was reading the thread about "To Hang or not to Hang? Food that is" and I got to thinking. I have only done short hikes and maybe 100 miles total on the AT over the years. I can bet a longer hike could bother me but I am not sure. For you young guys this is not an issue YET. For us older guys who have been touched by gravity, has this been an issue? Let's try to remember the only stupid question is the one not asked, and maybe this one.:-?
Many hiking shorts have a comfortable liner - MEC's River shorts come to mind. You might try something like that as an alternative.

Cheers,

PKH

Footslogger
08-05-2005, 15:03
[QUOTE=PKH]Many hiking shorts have a comfortable liner - MEC's River shorts come to mind. You might try something like that as an alternative.
=========================================
Careful with those ...they had just the opposite effect on me. The shorts I started out with had such a liner and it rubbed me raw. Ended up cutting it on and AHHHHH ...what relief !!

'Slogger

Youngblood
08-05-2005, 15:45
I think different techniques work well for different people. Try something, pay attention and change if it isn't working for you. I wouldn't be surprised if your per cent body fat didn't play into as well, so if your weight changes you may want to handle it differently.

liv2play
08-05-2005, 16:02
Freeball Forever.

Footslogger
08-05-2005, 16:12
[QUOTE=Youngblood]I think different techniques work well for different people. Try something, pay attention and change if it isn't working for you.
============================================
You're absolutely correct, in that I know plenty of hikers who wear briefs/underwear of some sort and had no problems. I guess I was speaking from personal experience, having started off with undershorts and/or the mesh liners in my hiking shorts and encountered problems.

'Slogger

Doctari
08-05-2005, 21:01
@ home it's boxers or boxer briefs w shorts or work uniform.

On trail, it's commando & a kilt.

I have tried the reverse, and suffer on trail & @ home.

At home my main pain is the zipper, ouch! :datz
No zippers on a kilt :jump

Doctari.

Palmer
08-05-2005, 21:37
I resisted commando for a long time. It just seemed wrong. After all, the rule is that you should wear clean underwear, just in case; not that you should wear nounderwear. I'm slowly being won over, however. I especially like EMS shorts with a liner. Haven't noticed any age-related changes that would affect my decision. I might have a different attitude if we were talking about skydiving.:eek:

fiddlehead
08-05-2005, 23:29
My theory: Keep it simple. I never realized you didn't have to wear underwear until i started hiking. I never wore them again. (I jog everyday too) When training and running ultras, i discovered some products designed for runners to help from rawness. I think it's called "powergel" it works. underwear is just one more thing you need to make your life more complicated.

neo
08-06-2005, 01:39
i am overly endowed down there,so i need support,i were rei mesh briefs:cool: neo

billdnc
08-06-2005, 09:20
One of the best things I ever did to simplify hiking was to ditch underwear. I do not know what this "gravity" business is about. I am 54 and doing fine. I have actually convinced several women to go commando after noticing how much space they filled in their pack with undergarments - one was a complete stranger that I wound up hiking with for ten days. I know some women that buy the men's pataguichi baggies because they have the little mesh liner.

I know a Boulder Outdoor Survival School instructor (female)that wears only a single sarong-like piece of cloth in the field. She ties it long or short or uses it for other applications.

HikeLite
08-07-2005, 15:16
Liv2play, didn't Tom Petty write a song called Freeeeeeballlllin'?

Neo, you wish....jk

I think you guys that go commando all the time are gonna end up like those females on national geographic with the mammaries down the the waist, cept y'all are gonna have knee-knockin' scrotums.

Footslogger
08-07-2005, 20:48
I think you guys that go commando all the time are gonna end up like those females on national geographic with the mammaries down the the waist, cept y'all are gonna have knee-knockin' scrotums.==================================
Guess that means bermuda shorts are out for me then. Of course, if that was going to happen it already would have ...so I think you're mistaken.

'Slogger