PDA

View Full Version : Getting my head wrapped around hanging.

nastynate
08-17-2013, 16:04
I've slept in my hammock a few nights around the house but always take my tarp tent backpacking. Its sometimes hard to find a flat spot or one thats not bare ground. I sleep like crap on a foam pad so I usually take Advil pm so I can function the next day. I would like to try hammock camping more but there seems to be so much to buy and you have to get it from several different places. I almost always take my little boy, so that doubles every item. 2 tarps, 2 hammocks, 2 underquilts, etc. I would need to sell my tent to buy everything. And my tent is so simple. I guess I'm looking for a little moral support to either take the plunge or drop $120 on a deluxe ul air pad and stay on the ground.

Alligator
08-17-2013, 16:33
The pad will be cheaper:).

The hammock may be more comfortable. I'm not a back sleeper so it was a little different for me. I never switched although I tried them. I made one myself. My deciding factor was my thermarest chair. You can sit in a hammock but you can't move the trees. I can move my chair around inside/outside if I want to read, cook, play cards, or sit by the fire.

Maybe you could make some of your own stuff to bring the cost down? You can make a hammock cheaply, use a cheaper tarp, a foam pad for underneath insulation, and then a quilt or sleeping bag on top. Information like that you could get at Hammockforums.net. Just realize there are a lot of committed hangers there so the opinion you get will be enthusiastic.

nastynate
08-17-2013, 16:53
Yeah, that's the exact reason I posted here. I have no problem MYOG. I've already made us both apex quilts. I guess a couple double layer 1.1 quilts, utilizing our ridgerests, and a decent tarp wouldn't be a huge expense.

imscotty
08-17-2013, 17:01
NastyNate, you are right about the cost, it can be significant. I take my Warbonnet when hiking solo, I find the hammock so comfortable. When I convince one of my kids to join me on a hike, I bring the tent. The company makes up for my sore back from ground sleeping.

I suggest you keep your tent for when you are with your son and add to your hammock set up a little at a time. The foam pad and a sleeping bag will work for warmth until you can upgrade. Just invest in a tarp and give it a go.

PS: We were car camping last weekend and I let my son use my hammock while me and my wife used the tent. He slept like a baby, I could not get him to give it up. Now he wants me to get him a hammock for his bedroom.

modiyooch
08-17-2013, 17:14
My hammock has the rain fly built in, and I only carry my sleeping bag to go with it. Obviously, I don't camp in the winter or early Spring which would warrant the underquilt for warmth. My hammock was reasonably price, but I did buy it at Trail Days. What I like about my hammock over my tent is the drastically reduced setup and tear down time. Also, it's much lighter and compact than my tent. AND, comfortable.

Hoop
08-17-2013, 17:35
As has been said above, hammock forums is home to a bunch of friendly zealots :). Mine isn't lighter, cheaper or quicker than a tent - but it is more versatile and comfortable. No more Advil.

Tuckahoe
08-17-2013, 18:20
I've slept in my hammock a few nights around the house but always take my tarp tent backpacking. Its sometimes hard to find a flat spot or one thats not bare ground. I sleep like crap on a foam pad so I usually take Advil pm so I can function the next day. I would like to try hammock camping more but there seems to be so much to buy and you have to get it from several different places. I almost always take my little boy, so that doubles every item. 2 tarps, 2 hammocks, 2 underquilts, etc. I would need to sell my tent to buy everything. And my tent is so simple. I guess I'm looking for a little moral support to either take the plunge or drop $120 on a deluxe ul air pad and stay on the ground.

You're already set up with your tent. Hang onto it and enjoy it. You dont have to run out and buy any hammock gear right this moment. I joined hammock forums back in December and I have in that time tried to learn all I can about hammocks to the point that I recently finally made a purchase.

Check out hammockforums.net and get yourself comfortable with an understanding of hammocks, the gear, and who vendors are. See if there are local hangs so that you can check out the different gear choices. And spend a little time getting a grasp of DIY gear. In the end, you will either take the plunge and start hammocking or reinforce your desire to keep using a tent.

nastynate
08-17-2013, 22:49
Thanks for the tips. I need to get out in the woods and less time browsing the gear forums.

medestar
08-19-2013, 18:11
As many have stated, keep your tent for when there are more than yourself. You can also make you gear, but you could also do like I did. I saw an inexpensive hammock on sale at the local REI (it had a bug net), and I bought it to try it out. Initially that would be all you need. Plus your regular sleeping bag and a foam pad to lay on in the hammock. I think my hammock was on clear-out for $20. Then for a tarp, I bought a cheap 8x10 tarp to start with. It isn't the greatest, and over time will not hold up, but it will let you know if this is something you like.

Dogwood
08-19-2013, 18:19
Hmm, just sayin, you might have thought of another way to rephrase the thread.

T.S.Kobzol
08-19-2013, 20:05
If money is a factor at this moment then stay on the ground. I was just doing inexact math for my buddy when he asked me how much for the whole setup. I came with rough 600 to 1000 if you get a cuben tarp. multiply this by two campers and you got your budget estimate.

bigcranky
08-20-2013, 20:34
The pad will end up being a lot cheaper :). Some of the new really thick air pads seem pretty comfortable. But I find hanging the most comfortable way to sleep in the backcountry. So I hang when I'm solo in warm weather, and use my Tarptent and a pad in cold weather.

Xristos
08-20-2013, 23:10
I'm a hammock camper. Sleep like crap on the ground, waking up 5-6 times a night. Sore in the morning. I MIGHT wake up once in my hammock to pee if I've been hydrating.

I've heard of people (esp. with children) hanging one hammock over the other like bunk beds to take advantage of using a single tarp. I have never tried this but I have seen pictures. Just hang the tarp higher.

dla
08-22-2013, 11:54

The ONLY real benefit of hanging is sleep comfort. Otherwise it is heavier and more expensive. If I were you, I would invest in a good down/air mattress & pillow for now. When the kid(s) get older, then you can put everybody in hammocks.

Anyways, the secret to staying comfortable on the ground for me is (a) get my head at the right height/angle - i.e. pillow solution of some sort. This relieves the shoulder pressure point and neck owie. (b) extra chunk or two of CCF for that nagging hip pressure point. Combine that with a really good air matt and I think your sleeping will get better. Of course there is really nothing you can do about 1st night nerves - but that's another subject.

Here are the hammock cost basics:

Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.7 hammock, straps & buckles, ~$175, ~40oz
Hammock Gear 3 Season Incubator full-length under-quilt. ~$240, ~18oz
Warbonnet Black Mamba Long & Wide 3 Season Top Quilt, ~$275, ~24oz
Warbonnet BigMambaJamba Tarp with pullouts, ~$120, ~12oz

T.S.Kobzol
08-22-2013, 13:27
The ONLY real benefit of hanging is sleep comfort... and the rest of the stuff is wrote was good.

Why would you say cllaim that comfort is the ONLY benefit of hanging?

Would you not consider that on the AT the ease of finding a camp spot is a real benefit of hanging?

I would add another benefit of staying dry in prolonged torrential downpours or in spots where the water runs down the slope and collects in a flat ground (like in the mountains and pooling up at primitive camp spot.). This is an obvious advantage here in New England but I'm not sure where your home base is.

nastynate
08-22-2013, 15:45
I ordered a tarp from Wilderness Logics. I can experiment with my ridgerest and prolite, or make an apex UQ for about $40 if those don't work. I'm going to give it a whirl for a few weekends and see if I want to invest any more. The ability to hang most anywhere here in Tennessee is a big draw for me. I like to stealth camp and sometimes its hard to find a flat spot in a good location with no vegetation.

Tuckahoe
08-22-2013, 15:47
The one thing I tend to notice with the discussions of the tent or hammock options of camping, is folks seem to approach it as though they are recruiting for their religion; as though they get some tangible reward if the can keep a soul from flipping over to the other side.

The second thing I notice is that folks tend to overstate and inflate their case (as though there is a case to be made), to the point that it arises to the point of being dishonest.

Dont cherry pick the figures to get what you want. Bottom quilts and top quilts are bedding and should only be compard to similarly performing pads and sleeping bags. Why include figures for bedding with a hammock set up, without doing the same for a tent set up?

And as a comparison my tent, seam sealed, with stakes, ground sheet, and poles comes in at an honest 46 ounces, and by the time, i bought all the components and seam sealed it, I had $311 in it. My hammoch and tarp comes in at 53 oumces and has cost me $357.

But then again I place a lot of importance on sleeping comfortably and the few extra ounces and dollars are more then worth it.

dla, why are you so dissmissive of sleep quality in the hammock, and then go on to tell us about all the extra pads you carry for tose special sore spots? (Pppppsssssss oh yeah, I can get a good enough set up in my hammock, that i can ditch the pillow)

Tuckahoe
08-22-2013, 15:56
I ordered a tarp from Wilderness Logics. I can experiment with my ridgerest and prolite, or make an apex UQ for about $40 if those don't work. I'm going to give it a whirl for a few weekends and see if I want to invest any more. The ability to hang most anywhere here in Tennessee is a big draw for me. I like to stealth camp and sometimes its hard to find a flat spot in a good location with no vegetation.

My Wilderness Logis tarp arrived yesterday. Pretty pleased with what I see so far. The nice thing about hammock gear is that it holds a pretty good resale value.

Also for another hammock pad option check out Lawso Outdoor Equipment at http://lawsonequipment.com/InsuLite-Foam-Pads-c127/

dla
08-22-2013, 20:56
The one thing I tend to notice with the discussions of the tent or hammock options of camping, is folks seem to approach it as though they are recruiting for their religion; as though they get some tangible reward if the can keep a soul from flipping over to the other side.

The second thing I notice is that folks tend to overstate and inflate their case (as though there is a case to be made), to the point that it arises to the point of being dishonest.

Dont cherry pick the figures to get what you want. Bottom quilts and top quilts are bedding and should only be compard to similarly performing pads and sleeping bags. Why include figures for bedding with a hammock set up, without doing the same for a tent set up?

And as a comparison my tent, seam sealed, with stakes, ground sheet, and poles comes in at an honest 46 ounces, and by the time, i bought all the components and seam sealed it, I had $311 in it. My hammoch and tarp comes in at 53 oumces and has cost me $357.

But then again I place a lot of importance on sleeping comfortably and the few extra ounces and dollars are more then worth it.

dla, why are you so dissmissive of sleep quality in the hammock, and then go on to tell us about all the extra pads you carry for tose special sore spots? (Pppppsssssss oh yeah, I can get a good enough set up in my hammock, that i can ditch the pillow)

Do you actually read a post before commenting on it? How did you determine that I was "dismissive" of hammock sleep quality from what I wrote?

In my opinion as somebody who has been hanging in a hammock for a few years now, the greatest benefit of a hammock is sleep comfort. I've spent plenty of time in dense forests where I couldn't find two trees 12-15' apart to get the perfect sag. I've had my share of nasty rain storms with wind bouncing my hammock around. About half the time in the mountains of central Idaho I have to settle for a sub-par hang on a hillside because the trees and underbrush just don't cooperate. My point is that hammocking doesn't mean care-free site selection or invincibility to the weather. Hammocking just means that I'm not laying on the cold, hard ground anymore.

Now for my hiking style, which is 99% solo, hammocking is fine. But if I had small children with me I would use a tent.

And unless you sleep on your back, you'll need some sort of pillow in a hammock. And it never hurts to carry a sit-pad size chunk of CCF to deal with CBS.

Tuckahoe
08-23-2013, 07:15
Yup, its clear that I read your original post with a interpretation that you did not mean. In my defense I read it while I was in line for a roller coaster at Busch Gardens... I was distracted ;)

oruacat2
08-24-2013, 19:35
Hanging or going-to-ground - the only real difference is personal preference. Anyone who tells you one is cheaper/more expensive, lighter/heavier, less convenient/more convenient doesn't know what they're talking about. I prefer hanging for many reason, but I also own a tent - everybody wins. It's not Coke verus Pepsi and it's certainly not rocket science.

My advice to the OP - don't be afraid to buy used gear when you start out. Hammock Forums is chock full of great information and advice, but it also has a terrific buy/sell/trade forum for those who just want to dip their proverbial toes in the water without breaking the bank.

Good luck!

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2013, 21:26
could not have made a better post!

miassis dragon
08-28-2013, 01:17

If there was a lack of trees where you camp I'd say keep the tent and get an insulated air pad. Otherwise, If your boy is happy sleeping in a tent or a hammock then I'd suggest getting a large tarp to cover both of you and get him a hammock to sleep in next to your hammock. That way both of you would sleep good and it might even be a neat experience for him.

russb
08-28-2013, 07:41
There is no need to spend a lot to try it. When I first started the cost for me was $20 for the hammock as I used my "ground gear". I hammocked for a year or so using my Travel Hammock (now known as Grand Trunk), blue pad, rain fly from a Eureka timberline tent, poncho as an undercover, and my sleeping bag. I then made a tarp which I used for a year or so and bought a used Claytor hammock with the bugnet ($50 I think). Back then, the hammock specific gear was not really around except for DIY. We all used what we had, experimented with techniques and DIY'd some things. Some people came up with some interesting things and decided to start to sell them. Over the years I have slowly gained some other things which I like, but weren't necessary. For example, I still hang my poncho under my hammock as a weathershield and it can become a "Garlington insulator" in winter. Some of the ideas from way back, I sitll employ and it cost me nothing. So, as I said, there is no need to go all out and spend a fortune. All of your ground gear can be used in a hammock. It is what we all used before people started to make hammock specific gear.

lostagain
08-30-2013, 12:19
+1 with what russb said.

you don't say how big your wee one is, so it's hard to advise on getting a big hammock. One of the manufacturers out there makes a hammock that's something like 8' wide. I use an ENO DoubleNest I got off Ebay for just shy of $50 w/shipping. It's 6' 6" wide and will support 400 pounds. Depending on your son's size, you could even get a small hammock such as the Grand Trunk Ultralite. Most hammocks will support up to 250 pounds and as others have said, you can hang "bunk bed" style under one large tarp. Don't know which tarp you got, but any of their selections should be fine to cover both of you.

depending on how cool it gets when you go, you don't really need an UQ. And you can make one from an emergency Mylar sheet and an old surplus poncho liner. Combine those, hang them underneath and use a CCF pad inside and you're set. I've had that combo down to ~30 and was using a 30* sleeping bag as a quilt (zipper only half way up) and I was quite toasty.

For me the advantages of hammocking over tenting (and I do both as there are places here in Texas where you can backpack, but not hang do to the lack of trees) is teh comfort level, less condensation to deal with and with an abundance of trees available, site selection is really easy.

As a real bonus you don't need to spend the $$$ dla lists as there are many hammock makers such as Eagle's Nest Outfitters (ENO), Grand Trunk, Proforce Snugpack, and Simply Light Designs (SLD) that make good affordable hammocks for under $100. If weight was a concern at all, Grand Trunk makes a hammock that weighs 7 oz and supports 300 lbs.

As with all gear, your choices seem unlimited and the costs can go from free to $$$$$. Take the plunge and head out to the country with your hammock and give it a try.

nastynate
09-01-2013, 14:30
I'm up at my parents helping my dad get his wood cut and split for the winter so I set up back at the pond to test everything out. I love it! Slept great and stayed dry in a 4" monsoon yesterday. WL Tadpole worked great. Time to start thinking about an underquilt.

SQWERL
09-05-2013, 23:56
nastynate I too live in Soddy. I have an eno dbl nest and I use a hammock gear Phoenix UQ. I have the 40* with about 4oz. of extra down. Let me know if you wanna try it out.

William36
09-09-2013, 16:27
you are right, it gets pretty steep pretty fast.....ESPECIALLY if you are plan to do anything in the "colder" weather

William36
09-09-2013, 16:28
But i do consider it worth it...I never sleep better thatn in hammock and have to do so sometimes at home to get a decent nights rest