PDA

View Full Version : Rain Jacket or Packa or DriDucks? Best Rain Gear?

Wmwood2001
08-17-2013, 22:15
Ok I'm really struggling to make a decision for my warm weather rain gear. I really like the looks and reviews I've read on rain jackets like the Marmot Super Mica, Mont-Bell Torrent Flier. Anyone have experience with these jackets be curious to know if they will hold up on a thru hike? Im also thinking the Packa eVent might be a good idea? What do you guys think about it? Is the eVent version overkill? Are rain jackets a better option? Lastly Frogg Toggs DriDucks DuraLite 3. Are these possibly the best option? For me price doesn't matter. So which would you guys go with? I already have a Columbia Triple Trail 2 hard shell for winter rain conditions.

trapper
08-18-2013, 07:08
packa is hard to beat in my opinion.

Drybones
08-18-2013, 07:39
Dont own one, yet, but that would be my choice if buying a new rain jacket.

Drybones
08-18-2013, 07:41
Anyone have anything negative to say about the Packa?...I'm considering a purchase.

Deacon
08-18-2013, 07:50
All of these jackets will work just fine, but I would say be sure you get one with pit zips. The pit zips do a good job of relieving moisture and heat in hot weather. I wore a Zpacks rain jacket on my LT thru when it rained every day for 2 weeks. Loved it. The Packa it great too.

jeffmeh
08-18-2013, 08:34
I'm a big fan of the Packa, but I'm not convinced that the eVent version is really worth the extra cash and weight, except perhaps for winter. I base this on my propensity to wet out rain gear from the inside, regardless of the purported "breathability" of the fabric.

4shot
08-18-2013, 08:51
. I base this on my propensity to wet out rain gear from the inside, regardless of the purported "breathability" of the fabric.

+1. If you wear any type of rain gear while hiking you'll have a choice of getting wet either from sweat or from rain. this is true for the biggest majority of hikers(unless the temperature is low. Pit zips help a little. "breathability" of fabric is secondary (imo) to pit zips. If it's warm enough and rain level is light or moderate, most people will forego the rain shell and just hike with a pack cover. This is not to say don't take a rainjacket as you will be provided ample time to hike in the cold and wet. you will need a waterproof shell at some point. I hiked with a guy who carried a small umbrella - that was perfect for the rain in the warmer seasons. He didn't use poles so he had his hands free to carry one.. It was small in diameter so it would not snag in the brush,limbs, etc.

Wmwood2001
08-18-2013, 09:05
All of these jackets will work just fine, but I would say be sure you get one with pit zips. The pit zips do a good job of relieving moisture and heat in hot weather. I wore a Zpacks rain jacket on my LT thru when it rained every day for 2 weeks. Loved it. The Packa it great too.

What zpack jacket did you wear? The cuben fiber jacket? If so what was your experience with it?

Odd Man Out
08-18-2013, 09:10

I've used the pit zips in my rain shell to turn it into a rain vest. I stick my arms out of the pit zip openings and tuck the empty sleeves inside. Your torso is covered and your arms are exposed, acting like radiators to dissipate heat. I think it can extend the comfortable temperature range for the shell as long as you don't care about your arms getting wet.

Turk6177
08-18-2013, 09:42
Frogg Toggs DriDucks are super light. They keep the rain off of you. You will never be dry no matter what you wear due to perspiration. I prefer to have something as light as possible, especially when I have to carry them regardless if I am using them or not. They are also good to put on when the mosquitoes get bad when you are in camp.

moldy
08-18-2013, 09:56
I have a contrary opinion about warm weather rain gear for hiking. It's like that Bob Dillon song, "Everything is Broken". Nothing Works! No matter how much money you spend you will be just as wet at the end of the day. Up and down mountains, the weight of a pack, the heat of the day, the wind driven rain. The combination of the water you generate and the water blowing in makes it impossible to stay dry. If your rain gear opts for a " keep out the rain method" like plastic bags and Frog Trogs, your own moisture will make you wet. If your rain gear opts for a "special breathing fabric vent system" water will come in. So my advice is, don't spend too much money and get ready to be disappointed. These opinions are about Warm Weather rain gear.

perrymk
08-18-2013, 10:14
umbrella hat

Cedar Tree
08-18-2013, 10:19
I've been a big fan of the eVent Packa since it came out about 4 years ago. I've got about 600 miles in one. I do most of my hiking in cold to very cold weather and I love it for cold weather hiking. In 2010 I started at Springer on Feb. 13th with an unbelievable amount of snow. I would hike in just a base layer and the eVent Packa in temps in the 20s and it worked great. Honestly, I've never really noticed how the breathability helps as I am quick to open the pit vents and slow down when I start getting hot. Like many others, my biggest issue with the eVent Packa besides the color (I hate red) is the weight at about 17oz for a medium. I did one hike last year with a 10D prototype and found it very good as well, even got some rain on that hike to give it a good testing. The 10D has a nice soft supple feel to it.

With this cool snap we are having I am getting anxious to hit the trail soon. I am looking forward to my next hike as I have cut about 3 lbs from my pack weight since my last hike. First, I made a cuben tarp tent that weighs 16oz (not including stakes or strings) and ditched my BA flycreek1. Second, I am going with the 10D over the eVent Packa. And third, my single layer cuben moccasins will replace my croc knockoffs.

The pictures below are of the first edition Cedar Tree Tarp Tent. I initially used a straight ridgeline but I felt there was too much floppy-ness in the fly so I sewed a cat cut ridgeline and now it is tight as a drum. It is vented along both sides and at the tops of both gable ends.
Cedar Tree

A.T.Lt
08-18-2013, 10:21
Marmot Precip..Not most expensive, not cheapest, will work for a while and doubles as my hard shell. In cold weather its part of my total system. Not the greatest not the worst.

Kerosene
08-18-2013, 11:36
I have noticed reduced interior moisture using e-Vent rain gear on rainy days with temps in the 50s.

The Packa is a great product and those pit zips dramatically extend the comfort range. The only caveat I'd have at all is wearing one in high winds on exposed ridgelines.

Maddog
08-18-2013, 11:55
Marmot Precip..Not most expensive, not cheapest, will work for a while and doubles as my hard shell. In cold weather its part of my total system. Not the greatest not the worst.

+1 This is what I've used for the last four years! Maddog:D

daddytwosticks
08-18-2013, 13:07
Why don't you get yourself a cheap pair of DriDucks and try them out? Not a whole lot of money to risk. If the DriDucks don't thrill you, try one of the others you mentioned. Good luck. :)

trapper
08-18-2013, 13:18
I've used the pit zips in my rain shell to turn it into a rain vest. I stick my arms out of the pit zip openings and tuck the empty sleeves inside. Your torso is covered and your arms are exposed, acting like radiators to dissipate heat. I think it can extend the comfortable temperature range for the shell as long as you don't care about your arms getting wet.
awesome idea

Pendragon
08-18-2013, 14:16
Warm perspiration inside dry ducks is far preferable to getting soaked with cold/freezing rain. For the money, they worked very well, but you can't sit or brush up against anything without getting holes in your backside. Duct tape works for awhile.

MuddyWaters
08-18-2013, 18:02
Warm perspiration inside dry ducks is far preferable to getting soaked with cold/freezing rain. For the money, they worked very well, but you can't sit or brush up against anything without getting holes in your backside. Duct tape works for awhile.

You have to be careful with driducks.

But the propore is breathable second only to event.

Nothing else even comes close to those 2 while being waterproof

Most windshirts dont even come close, and they are just DWR

Wmwood2001
08-18-2013, 19:35
Thanks for all the great advice. I have decided that I am going to go for the Packa. My only decision now is if i should get the normal Packa, the eVent Packa, or the Cuben Packa. Any suggestions?

ChinMusic
08-18-2013, 20:05
Anyone have anything negative to say about the Packa?...I'm considering a purchase.
I have the eVent version and love it for cooler weather. I switched back to the Marmot Super Mica and cuben pack cover for summer. I found the eVent Packa formed too much condensation around the pack in warmer weather. I do miss the full coverage it gave me to the front of my pack.

Another negative is setting up in the rain. You gotta take your Packa off to get to your pack. This happened to me often.

Net/net I love the eVent Packa. You asked about negatives so I posted my experiences. The positives are much stronger than the negatives.

BirdBrain
08-18-2013, 20:58
The Packa keeps the rain out and you do not get soaked in sweat while hiking in it. I walked 17.4 miles from the Pierce Pond Leanto to the little Little Bigelow on 7/23/13 in the rain and did not get soaked in sweat. It isn't just the huge pit zips of the Packa that make the difference. With a regular rain jacket the material the keeps you dry is wedged between your back and the pack. My pack is designed to breath on my back. I would lose that if a rain jacket was pinned to my back and my pack would not be fully covered (even if I used a pack cover). Also, the Packa has baggy arms. Air is able to circulate much better than any other form of rain gear that I have ever worn. A word to the wise though: Do not unzip the huge pit zips all the way. If you do, some rain will get in and the sides of your pack will get wet. I unzip them to my arm pits. This works great for keeping me and my pack dry.

BirdBrain
08-18-2013, 21:07
I have the eVent version and love it for cooler weather. I switched back to the Marmot Super Mica and cuben pack cover for summer. I found the eVent Packa formed too much condensation around the pack in warmer weather. I do miss the full coverage it gave me to the front of my pack.

Another negative is setting up in the rain. You gotta take your Packa off to get to your pack. This happened to me often.

Net/net I love the eVent Packa. You asked about negatives so I posted my experiences. The positives are much stronger than the negatives.

I agree with CM if you set up in the rain that does not have a leanto. If there is a leanto, go to that first. The rest should be obvious. I keep an emergency poncho (light and as cheap as possible) for places I tent that does not have a leanto. I keep in in the Packa pocket. One trick that would work for me and those that have a free standing tent is to set it up in the leanto and move it to your spot assembled with fly on it.

tucker0104
08-19-2013, 17:11
I have a poncho that has room for my pack similar to the packa. If I want to cool off, I just lift the front up and do some venting. Only used it three times and loved it every time.

SouthMark
08-19-2013, 18:51
Thanks for all the great advice. I have decided that I am going to go for the Packa. My only decision now is if i should get the normal Packa, the eVent Packa, or the Cuben Packa. Any suggestions?

I have one of the new 10D Packas (7 oz) only 1 oz heavier than the cuben version and half the weight of the eVent. I have used the regular sil version for about 4 years. I hammock camp and carry my tarp in an outside pocket.When it rains I just reach through a pit zip and pull it out to pitch it before I remove my Pack and pack.

capehiker
08-19-2013, 23:27
I have one of the new 10D Packas (7 oz) only 1 oz heavier than the cuben version and half the weight of the eVent. I have used the regular sil version for about 4 years. I hammock camp and carry my tarp in an outside pocket.When it rains I just reach through a pit zip and pull it out to pitch it before I remove my Pack and pack.

What is the durability of the 10D version? How fragile is it?

Cedar Tree
08-20-2013, 20:08
The 10D Packa has only been available for about a month. Too early to get much feedback yet. Southmark has one of the first prototypes. Maybe he can chime in with his observations. The fabric seems pretty fragile to me, very thin, light and supple. The feel against your skin is nice, better than the 33d in my opinion.
CT

RCBear
08-21-2013, 09:30
Keep pack contents and core dry. Legs and arms can get wet and can help regulate core tempature. Impossible to stay completely dry over a long day with rain coming down.

88BlueGT
08-21-2013, 10:52
Packa owner here. I've had it for about 3 years now and I have ZERO complaints. It also doubles as a pretty good pillow!

treesloth
08-21-2013, 13:35
I've been a big fan of the eVent Packa since it came out about 4 years ago. I've got about 600 miles in one.

I hope you're a big fan of any of your own products. :-) PS.. I love my Packa.

Wmwood2001
09-25-2013, 21:26
Well Guys, Thanks for all of your help with the rain gear advice. Below is a link to the rain gear i decided to go with and some other clothing for my Hike. Let me know what you think in the link or on here.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R8QGU4Wlho

Theosus
09-25-2013, 21:53
I bought one of the REI brand rain jackets after another one failed on me. Stayed out for about 8 hours in it. during periods of light rain I would take the hood off, and i left the front open to breathe sometimes. I was quite satisfied with it. My previous jacket wetted out about an hour into a two day trip of constant rain, so I spent the rest of the trip soaked to the bone, but at least the water warmed up to the point I was warm and wet instead of cold and wet.

I definitely like an oversized rain jacket compared to a poncho.

lush242000
09-25-2013, 22:59
I use a gore-Tex shell I bought at Galyons back in the day. Lots of ventilation if needed.

Sent from somewhere.

Grinder
09-26-2013, 07:23
I use a dri-ducks poncho with ties added to back bottom corners. This allows me to tie the ends at my waist and keeps the whole package tight (It really bothered me to have the poncho blowing around in my line of sight with the ground)

A hiker named "Chino" gave me an idea for my next section: he cut off a pair of rain pants to long bermuda length and hemmed the bottoms. His theory was that your feet and socks get wet in the rain no matter how hard you try,(resistance is futile!!) so leave them hanging out. The long shorts keep you pants dry.

Anyway, that's my setup.

SouthMark
09-26-2013, 08:27
The 10D Packa has only been available for about a month. Too early to get much feedback yet. Southmark has one of the first prototypes. Maybe he can chime in with his observations. The fabric seems pretty fragile to me, very thin, light and supple. The feel against your skin is nice, better than the 33d in my opinion.
CT

We'll we have had plenty of rain to test it out but a surgery has prevented me from doing much. I have worn it on thee occasions and one of those was a good test of durability, a trip to the Sipsey Wilderness slipping and sliding up and down muddy banks with roots and rocks plus some thick bush wacking. No damage to the Packa whatsoever. I bought this model to do the JMT but had to cancel due to the surgery. I hope to get to test it further on several AT and FHT hikes coming up. Actually I hope to be able to leave it in my pack.

Demeter
09-27-2013, 02:21
I have the DriDucks and the just got the Packa. I like the price of the DriDucks. Fragile, but you just slap a piece of duct tape on a tear. Great vapor barrier in the cold (too much of one in the warmer weather!).

So far have used the Packa once, during a very rainy weekend. Excellent, definitely will be a permanent part of my kit. Keep your tarp in an outside pocket and no problem getting wet. I loved how I could take off the hood and sleeves when the rain let up, and easily slide them back on when the rain picked up again. I like the feel and weight of the silnylon, will probably upgrade to 10D or cuben eventually. The only awkward thing is walking around camp without a backpack...