PDA

View Full Version : Great buy on ThermaRest

The Cleaner
08-17-2013, 23:00
I just got in today's mail a new(sold as irregular w/full warranty) a Therm-A-Rest Trail Scout mattress.Purchased from EBay for $42 including shipping.This mattress is almost exactally the same in specs as the Prolite4 and has a .5 higher R value but is 1.25" thick compared to the 1.5'' Prolite 4. I got the regular size, 20x 72". I bought 4 years ago a ProLite 4 and it has served me well. No complaints, I do more cold weather hiking and after using a closed cell foam pad for over 25 years my back problems required more comfort. The main reason for getting this one is for home use.My back is beyond repair and I have to lie flat on a day bed to watch TV or read and use my laptop.(on a small table which slides under the daybed) I purchased a custom fit inner spring mattress 4 years ago and a few months ago the springs have sprung. Well I found out that by placing my Prolite on top of the worn out mattress I got very good support and saved $150 on the purchase of a new custom fit mattress. Since I've been using it this way I somehow managed to get very small hole in it, which I patched with a big drop of silicone adhesive.The color of the Trail Scout is a chocolate brown and has a polyurethane surface compared to the polyester cover of the Prolite 4. Well I've been laying on the new one for almost 4 hours and it feels great.It also came with a nice free black stuff sack. If interested better hurry I don't think that there were too many left.Sorry can't post a link,just type it into EBay's search box. Good luck and Happy Hiking:sun

Old Hiker
08-17-2013, 23:47
Nice score. I'm still leery about blow-ups. I have a Ridgerest.

I found this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Therm---Rest-Mattress-Regular-Sandal/dp/B00452XJ4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376797458&sr=8-1&keywords=Therm-A-Rest+Trail+Scout

Same thing?

The Cleaner
08-18-2013, 00:15
The only reason I didn't use one earlier as the Smokies shelters still used wire fencing for bunks as late as the early 90's.Also it got so crowded with some of the trashiest hikers on the planet and there were no ridgerunners at that time either. I could get to a shelter or backcountry camp and start my campfire with all sorts of left behind clothes,gear and trash:eek:.....

The Cleaner
08-18-2013, 00:24
Nice score. I'm still leery about blow-ups. I have a Ridgerest.

I found this on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Therm---Rest-Mattress-Regular-Sandal/dp/B00452XJ4S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376797458&sr=8-1&keywords=Therm-A-Rest+Trail+Scout

Same thing? It appears to be. I got this one for home use if I was to take one hiking I would be sure to carry a patch kit also...