PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Tripod recommendations

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2005, 13:55
The male dino's birthday is coming up and he has mentioned several times how he wished he had a tripod with him while we are dayhiking. Does anyone here own or have experience with a tripod that might be suitable? He carried a mesh backpack - the size older kids use as book bags for school - as his day pack. The tripod would need to fit in that.

Footslogger
08-05-2005, 13:58
Does it need to be full sized tripod ?? Check out these little lightweight ones from REI. I won the Ultrapod and have carried it for several years. You can set it up on a rock or attach it to a tree limb.

http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?storeId=8000&query=*&cat=4760433&vcat=REI_SEARCH

'Slogger

Alligator
08-05-2005, 14:00
What type of camera? I use an Ultrapod for my digital. It worked for my 35mm as a tripod, but I couldn't velcro the stand to anything as the 35mm was too heavy.

I would have bet money you beat me to this one 'Slogger

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2005, 14:06
Slogger - thanks for the link. I'm not the photographer of this pair - I'll check with his son about what he thinks Dad would need. They talk about photography all the time so he can likely find out what he wants without him figuring it out.

Alligator - He has both a Pentax 35 mm and an Olympus Stylus digital. He carried the digital on the trail mostly and it is very light.

Alligator
08-05-2005, 14:30
The ultrapod should be fine with that digital. It's the larger lens that tend to tip it over. I'm not sure the Ultrapod would stay standing with say a 35mm or digital with a large telephoto lens. I really like the velcro part 'cause it can be strapped to lots of different things. I've used it with my hiking pole as a monopod.

Another gift suggestion is a remote, if his camera is remote capable. I have a Pentax Optio S, and the remote was only $15.00. It's just a button really with a watch battery. Saves breaking a leg rushing back after hitting the timer.

Tha Wookie
08-05-2005, 14:35
Look at www.bhphoto.com (http://www.bhphoto.com) you can price and check the weight of tripods. I find the mini-tripods frustrating and too time consuming. For hardly much more weight, you can get a 1-2 lb tripod. I bought one from that site for $35 that weighed just under 2 lbs.

Stale Cracker
08-05-2005, 14:56
I use a Slick light weight tri pod that has a full set of capabilites including a ball and socket mount for my Minolta 35mm. Works fine and does not weigh much - perhaps a pound or so. bhphoto.com as Tha wookie says or adorama.com should be able to help you out.

Tha Wookie
08-05-2005, 15:03
I use a Slick light weight tri pod that has a full set of capabilites including a ball and socket mount for my Minolta 35mm. Works fine and does not weigh much - perhaps a pound or so. bhphoto.com as Tha wookie says or adorama.com should be able to help you out.
I also use a Slick. Thanks for helping me remember the name.

Steveman434
08-05-2005, 15:14
Sony sells a tri-pod for their videocamera's called, conviently(sp?), the Lightweight Tri-Pod for only $50. But I don't know how much it weighs.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2005, 15:33
Thanks for the suggestions. Wookie, that link is wonderful.

Alligator - he already has a remote.

Alligator
08-05-2005, 15:49
Maybe an X-ray lens? They can be kind of fun with a digital's screen:D.

soulrebel
08-05-2005, 16:11
hacky sack 1.5oz needs to be broken in --- can perch in branches or on top of signs which is nice-- allows +/- 30 deg tilt vertically w/ a small sony digital...

some type of bean bag, if you like homemade... Or how bout the filler in those corn husk style pillows---

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-05-2005, 16:23
Maybe an X-ray lens? They can be kind of fun with a digital's screenimages/smilies/biggrin.gif. While the male dino might like that....