PDA

View Full Version : Need a little help staying on the horse.

Hatteras Jack
08-18-2013, 11:10
Hey you guys,
I'm headed sobo, hanging out at Harper's Ferry Hostel for the day. I've been having a rough time lately, struggling with motivation and that stuff. In fact, I'm here for the day so I can make up my mind about getting off the trail or not. I worry that I have gotten all I'm going to get, or I'll turn into a zombie if I keep hiking without any motivation, etc, etc. The last week or so has just seen me waking up and already thinking about where I'm going to end up. 20 or more miles doesn't go too fast when you're already thinking of the end. Anyhoo, I took a few days off in Waynesboro, PA with my mom but I still didn't find that spark. This last stretch from southern NJ to Harper's Ferry has felt pretty unfulfilling. I want to do what I can to finish what I set out to do, and I definitely don't want to make a snap decision that I'll regret. So I'm asking you all if you have any words of wisdom or if you know about stuff up ahead to get me excited again. Thanks!!

ROOSTER

Pedaling Fool
08-18-2013, 11:24
It's hard to say without knowing you and your initial reason for hiking and all...

I remember going through a zombie period on my bike about 10 years ago, it lasted for over a year (I've been riding a bike as my primary form of transportation since the '80's). I really felt like quitting, I also had no spark and just couldn't get the energy to do anything but trudge down the road.

I then entered into a charity ride http://sharonforepilepsy.org/ and I saw how me on a loaded bike with panniers and all could out ride a bunch of guys on thousand + dollar bikes. It put the spark back in my cycling. Then my 2006 hike put another jumpstart in my cycling.

Sometimes you just have to endure those zombie periods. I would say just have fun with it, but I know there is no fun during those times.

Rasty
08-18-2013, 11:34
Chances are taking a day off and sitting isn't going to help. Maybe take a couple of days off and do something different. Take a mini vacation from your vacation. Go rafting. Go ride a horse. Go volunteer for something. Get a job at McDonald's for three days. Get arrested for littering. The sky is the limit within reason. Embrace the fact that your not on anyones schedule. You don't have an 8 am shift on Monday, unless you pick up the job at McDonald's.

Pedaling Fool
08-18-2013, 11:43
We could possibly give you a better answer if you list your reason for hiking. I know some will say (because I've heard it many times before): "If it ain't fun just stop and go home...". However, I don't agree with that in every situation.

BTW, are you on a SOBO thru-hike?

Hatteras Jack
08-18-2013, 11:49
We could possibly give you a better answer if you list your reason for hiking. I know some will say (because I've heard it many times before): "If it ain't fun just stop and go home...". However, I don't agree with that in every situation.

BTW, are you on a SOBO thru-hike?

I am indeed on a thru-hike. Started June 13. I had this desire in my gut to do this since I heard about it three years ago. I was in grad school for the past year and decided in January that I would go for it. I wanted a meditative walk to mull things over (past relationship, parents' divorce, other meaty topics), and I also like the challenge. I'm from South Carolina and have visited the Blue Ridge, so those are the mountains I thought about when I thought of the AT. Going southbound was a timing thing since I couldn't start til after a friend's wedding. I like walking towards home. I also have a good number of family and friends following my blog, and my dad wants to come hike with me for a small section. If it helps, I'll give a link to my "About Me" section of my blog, where I talked about some of my reasons for hiking before I began: http://aarontakesawalk.blogspot.com/p/about-me.html

Pedaling Fool
08-18-2013, 12:01
Well I got some other things to say about your motivation and the zombie effect, which I believe is not always something to be avoided, contrary to popular opinion. However, every other sunday's I make a kick ass pot of spaghetti and realized I need some ingredients, therefore I gotta go now and get started.

But I will say you gotta (at the very least) stay on the trail until you hike with your dad. You quit before that you'll feel like sh1t later on. So for now embrace the zombie. :)

Rocket Jones
08-18-2013, 12:12
If you're "walking home", then you're not quite there yet. ;) Good luck on making a decision that's right for you.

Hatteras Jack
08-18-2013, 12:30
I'm feeling optimistic today! Can anyone tell me about the parts of Northern Virginia that they found most enjoyable? I got bummed out by some of the late-season nobos who were very negative. "[Insert section here] just sucks man, blah blah blah."

DeerPath
08-18-2013, 12:32
"EMBRACE THE SUCK"

"Your going to hurt, be cold, hot, tired, get rained on, have gear fail and get discouraged, but you'll also see those magical sunrises, sunsets, and reconnect with nature. The trick is to be able to appreciate them when they happen.

It never get easier, your body just gets used to the pain.

Never quit on a bad day!"

Happy Trails

Autummyst
08-18-2013, 12:32
Hey you guys,
I'm headed sobo, hanging out at Harper's Ferry Hostel for the day. I've been having a rough time lately, struggling with motivation and that stuff. In fact, I'm here for the day so I can make up my mind about getting off the trail or not. I worry that I have gotten all I'm going to get, or I'll turn into a zombie if I keep hiking without any motivation, etc, etc. The last week or so has just seen me waking up and already thinking about where I'm going to end up. 20 or more miles doesn't go too fast when you're already thinking of the end. Anyhoo, I took a few days off in Waynesboro, PA with my mom but I still didn't find that spark. This last stretch from southern NJ to Harper's Ferry has felt pretty unfulfilling. I want to do what I can to finish what I set out to do, and I definitely don't want to make a snap decision that I'll regret. So I'm asking you all if you have any words of wisdom or if you know about stuff up ahead to get me excited again. Thanks!!

ROOSTER

Hi :)

It sounds to me like you are going through the classic stages of culture shock. You've officially exited the honeymoon stage and are in "stage 2". I'm a sociology professor so it's one of those things I see happening to people in a variety of situations. It doesn't just happen with going to a new country, it can happen with new activities, jobs, etc. I haven't thru hiked yet, doing it next year, but I can still relate and so can anyone whose experienced culture shock before. I lived in South Korea for a year. The first bit was awesome and then I entered phase 2 which is pretty much the crappy stage. A lot of my peers went home when they entered this stage and it looks like a lot of people leave the trail too after the 3 monthish honeymoon stage is over. It's hard to get through, but if you do, and you can adjust, then the emotional and mental rewards are amazing. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to push through it, it's tough. But the reward is even greater too in my opinion. Here's a link to a brief summary of stages of culture shock. It talks as if related to being in another country, but if you replace that with hiking, I think you'll see what I mean:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

modiyooch
08-18-2013, 13:42
All I can add is that PA was my least favorite state. You are now back in the mountains. I would at least hike into Shenandoah and see if you still feel unimpressed. also, you have a new season coming.

evyck da fleet
08-18-2013, 13:52
On the bright side, you just made it through the most boring part of the trail(CT to MD). Plus it never feels good to say goodbye to family and friends like you just did in Waynesboro so you might still be carrying that with you. It comes down to do you want to see the southern half of the AT this year, sometime later, or if you don't care to see the rest of it. If it's one of the first two, you'll probably never be in better hiking shape than you are now so the longer you stay out the less you'll have to do in the future. You've got the Shenandoahs(and Waysides) coming up, wild ponies in Grayson, the Smokies and mountain views in TN/NC/GA awaiting to name a few. If you need to break things up a bit, you could head into DC for a day, hitch to Luray to see the caverns, go rafting(which may or may not include aqua blazing) etc.

Driver8
08-18-2013, 13:57
You've got the roller coaster up ahead, which is widely hated, but after that is Shennandoah National Park, which is a favorite of many. I'd say set SNP, which goes along the Blue Ridge, of course, as your reward for getting through the coaster, then keep trucking along. Once you get to the Roanoke area, McAfee Knob can be your next reward, then Grayson Highlands and the ponies. At that point, the smell and feel of home should keep you going to Springer.

Good luck!

Symba
08-18-2013, 14:07
Embrace the hike and keep going. I just finished my education (PhD in Human Services, Dissertation/research about psychological change from Thru Hiking the AT). I lived through journals for the past two years with my research. I also Thru hiked back in 2000 after I finished my BA. After about three months I had physical issues on the trail, I stopped when I got home in NJ NOBO thru hiking after around four months. I took a month to heal since I was ahead of the crowds. Thinking back, it took a long time to be able to adventure out again. Think about when You may have this opportunity again to finish the trail. Keep going for YOU. I see a little bit of pressure in your hike since family and friends are following it. It is hard to help with a decision; but it is great you put out feelers on the situation. I regretted coming off the trail and sectioning the rest; but the trail will always be there for us. If you decide to stop and cannot find work, hard these days to find work IMHO, then you can always finish early next year. Though, as in my past situation, I had a new job that did not allow me to take more then eight days off straight for over seven years. The opportunity to thru hike was lost until now; with no work at hand. Make a list of pros and cons; then make a decision after sitting on it for awhile. This is always a tough question to be answered by others. Take care Aaron.

evan_rolltide
08-18-2013, 14:36
ROOSTER! Leprechaun here. I met you climbing Smart Mountain just the other side of Bill Ackerly's place.
If you remember, I started off thinking I might thru hike but got off in VA, then got back on and hike NH.

At times, I regret not going into my hike more set in my mind that it was going to be a thru hike.
I got off in Daleville, VA, but there is beautiful hiking around there. McAfee's Knob, Dragon's Tooth, Grayson Highlands were highlights of my hike.
Make sure you time it up right to eat at the AYCE place near 4 Pines Hostel.
Woods Hole was a really cool hostel. The smokies were awesome.
I know what it's like to lose interest in a hike... I got off the trail twice yet I'm still here on whiteblaze.net reading posts...

Anyway, you're doing great and have made it through some of the toughest parts of the trail in my opinion. I'm hoping to get out and hike some of GA this fall and see a few of you SOBOs. Good luck to you whatever your decision is!

hikerboy57
08-18-2013, 14:53
If you got off trail would you regret not finishing? If so maybe change your trail name to no regrets

Hatteras Jack
08-18-2013, 15:04
ROOSTER! Leprechaun here. I met you climbing Smart Mountain on the other side of Bill Ackerly's place.
If you remember, I started off thinking I might thru hike but got off in VA, then got back on and hike NH.

At times, I regret not going into my hike more set in my mind that it was going to be a thru hike.
I got off in Daleville, VA, but there is beautiful hiking around there. McAfee's Knob, Dragon's Tooth, Grayson Highlands were highlights of my hike.
Make sure you time it up right to eat at the AYCE place near 4 Pines Hostel.
Woods Hole was a really cool hostel. The smokies were awesome.
I know what it's like to lose interest in a hike... I got off the trail twice yet I'm still here on whiteblaze.net reading posts...

Anyway, you're doing great and have made it through some of the toughest parts of the trail in my opinion. I'm hoping to get out and hike some of GA this fall and see a few of you SOBOs. Good luck to you whatever your decision is!

Leprechaun! I remember you! Where did you end up? I'm definitely keeping on tomorrow. I think these feelings are passing, especially thanks to encouragement from people like you. Hope to see you down in Georgia.

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 15:25
What can you do to make the journey more fulfilling? What are you not being grateful for? What are you not appreciating? How can you mix things up to keep things more interesting? What can you do to not be bored? How might looking at the bigger picture help you? How can you have greater peace and joy on you hike? How can you take the focus off yourself? How can you give back to the trail and the trail community surrounding the 1100 miles or so of trail you just hiked? How can you let your creativeness and positive personal characteristics shine in the further planning and completion of this journey? What can you share with others? What are you missing that is currently enabling a sense of lack of motivation?

It's a BIG beautiful world! You're doing something that others can't or fail to follow through on. Do you know how fortunate you are? Do you know most Americans have no idea of the splendor that you've allowed yourself to experience? Most Americans don't know what's even in the woods or on the Appalachian Trail. And, those that have an inkling of the wonders of nature and what an AT thru-hike CAN entail learn about it from a book, picture, or through a computer. You're there - LIVING IT! Isn't that worth it? Do you know the gift the blessing LIFE that is on your front door Welcome mat at this very moment? Don't be so quick to kick it aside! This is an opportunity not a chore!

Don't allow your thoughts to wander, meditate, and overly focus upon quitting, why what you're doing sucks, being unmotivated, etc because what you focus upon is what you manifest into your life! Focus and ponder upon why what you're doing is so awesome, joyful, peaceful, enlightening, healthy, self actualizing, such a blessing, so gratifying, one of the greatest things a person can do for themselves and others, how it affords infinite opportunities to show your generosity, kindness, and unselfishness, and how it can be a vehicle for assisting you(and others through you) to connect with yourself and the Universe(GOD, the GREAT OM, etc.). I promise you, if you think like this your behavior will follow and it will change not only your thru-hike but your life!

Don't let this spark of motivation(which is really so much more) I'm sharing just be a quick pick me up feel good at the moment thing. You have to change the way you're thinking and acting by reconditioning yourself to live consistently in a more empowering state. This isn't just about a hike! Do you see that?

Do you notice the similarities between the journey of a thru-hike with the journey that's called LIFE in general? What you are now experiencing is not just your hike but YOUR LIFE! Don't forget that. This may sound overly philosophical TO SOME but there's truth in that.

When wanna be a thru-hikers tell me they are bored, they lack motivation, they want to quit, etc I find it's because they are lacking gratitude, wonderment of their journey, sharing and enlightening others, TOO FOCUSED ON THEMSELVES, having the thru-hiking mentality that thru-hiking is ONLY about hiking(this mentality is really shallow and limiting to me), etc. Keep your journey fresh by incorporating other activities into your thru-hike. I find when I'm also intentionally conscientious of giving back on a hike it makes ALL my hikes that much more enriching. It invigorates me! Something happens that I can't fully explain; but, I know it makes me feel good. When I approach hikes from a place of gratitude and appreciation rather just hiking to say I did a thru-hike the journey is so much more enriching. I notice things I normally would miss. Gratitude assists us from getting depressed, too introverted, angry, annoyed/ill at ease, self focused, and especially from becoming a bitchy unmotivated complainer!

I've been where you are at, and not only on hikes. Quitting your hike based on(or when you're in) a negative limiting state is NOT the empowering answer.

Enjoy the ENTIRE journey! That includes not just as it pertains to the thru-hiking journey! Don't squander the opportunity to be all that you can be!

evan_rolltide
08-18-2013, 15:32
Leprechaun! I remember you! Where did you end up? I'm definitely keeping on tomorrow. I think these feelings are passing, especially thanks to encouragement from people like you. Hope to see you down in Georgia.

I hiked most of NH, yellow blazing a little bit. Loved the whites, but a lot of factors got me off the trail in Maine I guess. Had an opportunity to visit my brother out in Cali and took it. No regrets there, but I can't stop thinking about hiking haha. Keep your blog updated, I'm trying to follow a few SOBOs and see when I can get out there and do some magic and hiking.

Malto
08-18-2013, 15:53
How you choose to handle adversity on the trail is likely consistent with how you handle it in life. Sometimes there are larger lessons to learn beond the immediate gratification of the moment.

hikerboy57
08-18-2013, 15:54
How you choose to handle adversity on the trail is likely consistent with how you handle it in life. Sometimes there are larger lessons to learn beond the immediate gratification of the moment.
you cant hit the peaks if you dont traverse a few valleys along the way.

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 15:56
I'm feeling optimistic today! Can anyone tell me about the parts of Northern Virginia that they found most enjoyable? I got bummed out by some of the late-season nobos who were very negative. "[Insert section here] just sucks man, blah blah blah."

This is the right direction.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-18-2013, 16:07
stick it out look at every day as a new day it is easy just to think about getting the miles in each day-remember its the journey not the destination-I hiked thru 7 days of constant rain mentally it started to bug me then one morning i realized it was pretty cool seeing the woods and the mountain tops in the rain I began to think more about taking everything in and less about being on a time schedule or physical discomfort springer doesnt close in oct you have plenty of time-being form south carolina you know you can hike well into winter take your time and embrace the experience- I am a georgia grad my son went to USC and my wife is a Clemson Tiger fan so GO DAWGS GO COCKS GO TIGERS hang in there and shift your focus a little

Hillbilly

bigcranky
08-18-2013, 20:06
I've hiked almost everything from Springer to HF. You're just getting ready to hit some beautiful places, and right as the early fall weather will be getting under way. Shenandoah is wonderful -- you'll be able to get a great meal and a milkshake (and a beer!) pretty much every day, if not twice a day. Waynesboro is the most awesome trail town that I have seen yet. Just seeing the list of trail angels and their phone numbers on the sign at the road crossing will make you feel better, and the AYCE chinese place will finish the job. (It's so good I would eat there even if I weren't hiking!) South of Shenandoah you'll start hitting big mountains again, 4000-footers with great ridgeline walks and terrific views. To the east will be the piedmont of Virginia, rolling hills and small farms and towns. West is the valley, and the long ridgelines of the Alleghenies in the distance.

As you get into mid September, further south in Virginia you'll hit more good trail towns, some great hostels (Dutch Haus! Woods Hole!), and better views. It'll be getting cooler, too -- no more of that mid-summer mid-Atlantic heat and humidity. As the leaves turn, you'll have a front row seat to the fall colors as they march downhill from the peaks to the valleys. Pretty soon you'll hit the Grayson Highlands area with its endless views and wild ponies, then into Damascus for a recharge and on into Tennessee and North Carolina. Lots more big mountains now, several over 5000 feet. Once you get past Damascus you'll be able to smell Springer in the air every morning, and you'll know that you can do this with both hands tied behind your back. Roan Mountain! Hot Springs! The Smokies in the fall! Then into the Nantahalas, and down into Georgia, and finish triumphantly with your family waiting for you on the summit of Springer. (Hey, it's a possibility, right?)

Sometimes I find that I need to just keep going to get through a rough patch in any endeavor, and I'll reconnect with the original reasons I began. Good luck and I hope you figure it out.

Marta
08-18-2013, 20:39
It's tough when your mind gets into a negative groove, and wears that groove deeper and deeper. Things that helped me keep going were to picture myself quitting, then going home and talking to people about why I only hiked part of the Trail. I couldn't ever come up with a reason that wasn't deeply embarrassing, or a lie. :-)

So I'd keep setting the date on which I was allowed to quit a bit further into the future--the end of the week; the end of the month; the next state... Before I got there, something always happened that rewarded me for continuing--a beautiful sunrise, meeting an animal, golden leaves floating on the surface of a pond, getting to eat a huge meal...and I was happy again for a while. And I'd know that, if I had quit, that wonderful thing wouldn't have happened.

As someone said above..adventure is about having higher highs, but it also means surviving lower lows.

Good luck with the rest of your hike! SOBO pride!

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 20:58
You don't have to be attempting a hiking record to gain something, including a whole lot of inspiration and motivation, from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjK9dvBrOyQ

Lone Wolf
08-18-2013, 21:23
Hey you guys,

ROOSTER
if you ain't havin' fun get off and go home. i got off the trail twice in gorham, nh cuz i was sick of walkin'. no regrets at all

Slo-go'en
08-18-2013, 21:30
How are you physically? If you've lost a lot of weight and are feeling a bit run down, taking a week or two off and doing nothing but eating and sleeping could make a big differance.

Although I didn't find the Shanandoahs all that exciting either, as everyone said your almost out of the dulldrums. As far as I'm concerned, just south of Rock Fish Gap is where Virginia really starts (or ends depeding). It's a shame a lot of people quit in the middle when the best parts are on each end. The middle is just the dues you have to pay go get from here to there. But it breaks a lot of people in the process.

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 21:52
if you ain't havin' fun get off and go home. i got off the trail twice in gorham, nh cuz i was sick of walkin'. no regrets at all

You might want to watch AND LISTEN CAREFULLY to what JEN says in her speech that I just linked to. So glad that so many didn't quit when they temporarily assumed they weren't having fun at the moment: teachers, parents, biz associates, friends, employers, employees, military on a mission, those who faced a temporary set back to go on and turn things around, this nation, every boxer that got knocked down early and later went on to win the fight, etc etc etc.

Lone Wolf
08-18-2013, 21:59
no need to listen to her speech. i did what worked for me for 14 years of LD walkin'

kayak karl
08-18-2013, 22:05
You might want to watch AND LISTEN CAREFULLY to what JEN says in her speech that I just linked to. So glad that so many didn't quit when they temporarily assumed they weren't having fun at the moment: teachers, parents, biz associates, friends, employers, employees, military on a mission, those who faced a temporary set back to go on and turn things around, this nation, every boxer that got knocked down early and later went on to win the fight, etc etc etc. your comparing military and teachers etc. to hiking a stupid trail?? they are many things i have struggled with for years and succeeded, business and family, but walking on vacation does not rank with them at all. i have always wondered if the success of the trail is so important to some is because they failed at so many things in life??

Symba
08-18-2013, 22:12
Stupid Trail?

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 22:17
Perhaps, I got something wrong, but it sure the hell seems to me the OP is looking for motivation and inspiration to HAPPILY continue not support for quitting! It sounds like you have no regrets and that's great but I do hope you understand that what worked FOR YOU or what you came to terms with may not be what works for everyone else.

hikerboy57
08-18-2013, 22:21
funny thing is he'll be at springer while we're still arguing about it for the next couple months

Lone Wolf
08-18-2013, 22:26
Perhaps, I got something wrong, but it sure the hell seems to me the OP is looking for motivation and inspiration to HAPPILY continue not support for quitting! It sounds like you have no regrets and that's great but I do hope you understand that what worked FOR YOU or what you came to terms with may not be what works for everyone else.

the "OP" ain't gonna get motivated by sittin' on a computer

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 22:41
your comparing military and teachers etc. to hiking a stupid trail?? they are many things i have struggled with for years and succeeded, business and family, but walking on vacation does not rank with them at all. i have always wondered if the success of the trail is so important to some is because they failed at so many things in life??

That might be true KK. It also may be true that those who succeed at hiking, however they may define that success, are also in the habit of being successful at other endeavors in life. Success and achievement can become habitual just as being a quitter or constantly complaining can become habitual. It's my illusion that those who routinely succeed or achieve do so at a great variety of things in life and those that don't well.... That's gonna offend some people. It hits home.

Personally, even if I considered a hike a vacation, I realize the actions that I take while on that vacation conditions me and influences my life when not on vacation. FOR ME, I wouldn't excuse my quitting behavior just because it occurred when I was on what I considered to be a vacation. Every action taken, or not taken, sets in motion a series of events that are related even though one may assume they don't. That''s my belief.

Dogwood
08-18-2013, 22:45
the "OP" ain't gonna get motivated by sittin' on a computer

We all get motivation in our own ways. Who's to say that the OP can't get motivated or inspired by what's shared through the internet? People get inspired routinely by what they read or what others share. Wouldn't you agree? Haven't you ever been inspired by a quote, photograph, a survival story, a color, a sound, etc? I bet you have.

WingedMonkey
08-18-2013, 23:21
I can't remember wanting to quit. I can't remember wanting to go home. I certainly wondered sometimes if I could make it.

If nothing is wrong physically, can't say that I understand your problem.

Mountain Mike
08-19-2013, 00:19
I was ready to quit my thru in Daleville limping along the road with a sprained ankle & a screwed up mail drop. I'm glad I stuck it out. You just came off the boaring streach of AT. Keep going.

Dogwood
08-19-2013, 02:42
Maybe, the OP's walk is over. Or, maybe it's not the right time for him to make the decision to quit. Maybe, this person needs to continue. Only he would know. But if he seeks motivation and inspiration, which it certainly seems to me he desires, I want to offer it. I've been where he's at as I would say many thru-hikers have been. What separates those that finish is how they handle this.

Maybe, not all will understand this but, FOR SOME, quitting their tthru-hikes is emotionally and mentally painful. Just contemplating quitting can be painful. SO much so that they draw upon it to get themselves out of a temporary funk and go on to finish their thru-hikes, most often quite contently. Quitting is perceived as quitting on themselves, their dreams, and their goals. By finishing, SOME create a new paradigm, a new way of thinking, and new habits that they are later very thankful for. When we can come to terms with our frailties and overcome the associated challenges it's immensely empowering, satisfying, and enlightening. It's what those who routinely succeed do.

Often, our society teaches us that all must be fun and quickly and easily attained. Sometimes, the most rewarding things in life are difficult, painful, and hard - Jennifer Pharr Davis(slightly paraphrased, watch the vid link)

She gets it. That's why she has led a life of constant achievement but she'll be the first to tell you that it has also meant that she has had to overcome her frailties and the challenges. She's not a quitter! At probably anything! It's not part of her paradigm - to quit. The truth of the matter is that' not everything worthy to achieve is perceived as fun or easy or quick to obtain. If thru-hiking the AT was always so easy to accomplish all would be doing it.

Dogwood
08-19-2013, 03:57
I found it a major achievement and very satisfying when early on one morning I had made the Last Post on every single different thread on the first page of Todays Posts! I now know the sky is the limit. Nothing is impossible.

VTATHiker
08-19-2013, 05:03
Six months after you finish your hike, whether it ends at Harper’s Ferry or Springer, you’ll have a hard time remembering why it was so difficult. You’ll just know that it was, and that you either stuck it out or you quit before you completed what you wanted to complete.

And sometimes "difficult" looks a whole lot like dried-up motivation...

Finish what you started.

Chaco Taco
08-19-2013, 06:53
Couple of things:

1. when you get depressed about hiking, think about having to go to a job for 40 hours a week.
2. If you are that miserable, go home.
3. Life aint all unicorns and rainbows.
4. Go do something different for a day or two. I suggest a little aqua blaze or float on a river somewhere.

Hatteras Jack
08-19-2013, 07:19
Hey everybody, just wanted to clear up any confusion. I got in to HF a couple days ago feeling like I wanted to quit. I think it had a lot to do with having left my mom when she visited a while ago, and also I've been feeling the effects of the monotony on this section of the trail. A lot of people say they have never been bored while hiking, but that wasn't the case for me. I just needed to turn around and get fired up again! While this was a process I worked on, away from the computer, during my zero day, it also helped to read old posts about Virginia Blues and getting bored in the middle of the trail. I felt less alone that way. So I went ahead and made this post to find even more inspiration. It's definitely been a big piece of the puzzle in getting me excited to hike again. I didn't want a bitter debate among anyone to come out! Luckily this thread has been mostly good vibes, and I appreciate it a TON.

I'm hiking out in an hour. I am ready to see what Virginia has in store for me.

Malto
08-19-2013, 07:28
Hey everybody, just wanted to clear up any confusion. I got in to HF a couple days ago feeling like I wanted to quit. I think it had a lot to do with having left my mom when she visited a while ago, and also I've been feeling the effects of the monotony on this section of the trail. A lot of people say they have never been bored while hiking, but that wasn't the case for me. I just needed to turn around and get fired up again! While this was a process I worked on, away from the computer, during my zero day, it also helped to read old posts about Virginia Blues and getting bored in the middle of the trail. I felt less alone that way. So I went ahead and made this post to find even more inspiration. It's definitely been a big piece of the puzzle in getting me excited to hike again. I didn't want a bitter debate among anyone to come out! Luckily this thread has been mostly good vibes, and I appreciate it a TON.

have a great hike. And remember, Virginia is only TOO blue if you look it at that way.

Drybones
08-19-2013, 08:11

Follow that advice and we'd all go home at the first mountain to climb. Hated every hill I had to climb, decided to make them easier by never stopping when going up except to fill a water bottle, it always looks better from the top...but it's the valleys that grow you.

Chaco Taco
08-19-2013, 10:09
Virginia is what it is; long as hell. It is a beautiful state and has lots to offer in terms of hiking and other fun off trail activities. Again, just think, you could be at work.

Rasty
08-19-2013, 10:16

So McDonald's wasn't hiring :)

Autummyst
08-19-2013, 10:54

Good luck!!! And I hope you have a wonderful rest of your hike :)

atmilkman
08-19-2013, 11:51
3. Life aint all unicorns and rainbows.

I like this for an all around response to a lot of in general complaints.

Another Kevin
08-19-2013, 14:25
Back in May, a group of four of us geriatric gypsies (I think I was the second-youngest of the group, at 57) were huffing and puffing up a steep grade to an overlook. One of my partners said to the group, in a particularly nasty section, "Isn't it great that once you finish a climb like this, you totally forget how much it sucked?" The ensuing laughter kept everyone going - and we all knew how true it is!

Dogwood
08-19-2013, 14:57
It doesn't sound like you want or have to quit. You're coming into a great 2-3 months to be on the southern part of the AT. You're already in thru-hiker physical shape. Now, get your head back into the game. Tough it out mentally by doing some of those mental gymnastics and soon you could be enjoying, NOT quitting, more fully the rest of your thru. Thru-hiking is about constant adaption and expansion. It's about regular adjustments. It's about seeing what isn't working, WHAT IS WORKING, and making course corrections along the way. Those that complete thru-hikes contently are those who are good at managing themselves and their hikes specifically these types of incidences. What you went through, and seems you may still be going through, is similar in many ways of getting yourself upto a mountain summit or up a long ascent or through 5 days of rain. It's all the same. I'll say it again. Brainstorm on ways that can be incorporated into the remainder of your thru to NOT be bored. Don't shut the book when possibly the BEST part of the story(hike) is still to be experienced!

Symba
08-19-2013, 15:08
Enjoy Virginia. I must be one of the odd balls, I really loved Virginia's beauty and what it had to offer. I'd do the Virginia section again if asked. ~Hike on my friend.

mattyoc20
08-21-2013, 17:35
One way I like to look at things that I don't like doing is that it has to end sometime. Whether it is in 2 hours or 5 months. And in 20 years you are not going to be thinking to yourself "My god why did I do that. That was a terrible idea". You will be thinking "Man, I'm a BAMF. I hiked over 2500 miles." and that feeling of accomplishment pride and excitement will out weigh the pain that you endure for a couple months. Much like what Another Kevin said about the hills. Keep your head up. It wont last forever and you will have some awesome memories.

Hatteras Jack
10-07-2013, 01:05
Just stopping back in to say I made it! Thanks for the uplift when I needed it, guys and gals. Missing the trail already.

Autummyst
10-07-2013, 04:52
Just stopping back in to say I made it! Thanks for the uplift when I needed it, guys and gals. Missing the trail already.

Congratulations!!!!! :sun

Marta
10-07-2013, 07:01
Congratulations!

Nutbrown
10-07-2013, 07:59
Awesome! I love to hear that!!!

q-tip
10-07-2013, 08:52
Off the chart good stuff. I walked from Springer to HF, and wanted to quit every other day. My goal was to finish half. It is one of the great accomplishments of my life (behind getting sober and getting educated). This accomplishment I believe is more about who you are, not what you did. Congratulations.

Marmaduke
10-07-2013, 16:20
I was thinking about this thread earlier. Awesome!