PDA

View Full Version : Sawyer Squeeze for river water?

Viator
08-18-2013, 12:53
So, I currently use a Sawyer Squeeze as my filtration system. I am a big fisherman, and I am trying to get into some river camping/fishing adventures. Does anyone think that the Squeeze would not make moderately dirty water from a major river safe to drink? I won't be "hiking"; so, it really wouldn't be hard to carry 2 gallons of water or so. But, being able to filter the river water would make things way easier.

bfayer
08-18-2013, 15:50
It depends on where the river travels before it gets to you.

The Squeeze does not stop viruses. If there are people or farms up stream then you may want to consider additional chemical treatment or use a purifier like the First Need.

If viruses are not an issue, the squeeze is fine, back flush often.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

garyp
08-18-2013, 21:40
As an avid fly fisherman I have been looking into this too. But I figure just get a day pack and a bladder and then carry a filter. But I am weighing my options right now. I am liking the Squeeze more and more except the bad reports on the bags always tearing.

levibarry
08-18-2013, 23:44
If you get the newer Sawyer Squeeze w/one bag, they are much tougher. Just used one on the
PCT section I did. Great filter. But do back flush after each outing for river water, you never know.
As bfayer said.

marti038
08-19-2013, 08:57
I have one and just carry a 2-liter mountain dew bottle as a reserviour. It does mean that I have to take my pack off to refill my clean water bottle, but it's a small price to pay for a 3oz filtration system. I never even tried the bags to be honest.

I've read elsewhere that pepsi product bottles work better than coke brand. I've not tried a 2 liter of coke yet, so I don't know if it's true or not.

Viator
08-19-2013, 12:57
It depends on where the river travels before it gets to you.

The Squeeze does not stop viruses. If there are people or farms up stream then you may want to consider additional chemical treatment or use a purifier like the First Need.

If viruses are not an issue, the squeeze is fine, back flush often.

Yeh, it's a pretty well frequented river, and it's got plenty of farmland to go through. But, its not too hard to carry tons of water when you only have to bring 1.5 days of food.

bfayer
08-19-2013, 18:51
No need to carry water, I would just filter and treat with Aqua Mira to take care of potential viruses.

Water is water, and there is no difference between what you carry and what you filter and treat. Actually what you filter and treat might be better :)

Grasshopper2011
03-24-2014, 11:16
Water is water, and there is no difference between what you carry and what you filter and treat. Actually what you filter and treat might be better :)

Water you carry in from a trusted source is less likely to have agricultural waste and other contaminants. Filtered water from a stream/spring high in the mountains is amazing.. a major river is different. The sawyer does not take out chemicals and viruses and since there is no carbon element it does not improve the taste. My first choice would by to carry water in for a "moderately dirty" water source.

lonehiker
03-24-2014, 12:21
I filter river water with a Sawyer all the time.