PDA

View Full Version : Bryson City, N.C. has a question

K-Bear
08-05-2005, 15:02
The powers that be, in the town of Bryson City, N.C. would like to make their town a little more "trail friendly". Mabye in the way of Volunteer Shelter and/or Trail maintence, trail magic, mabye a regular shuttle from the NOC or Fontana into town, mabye a weekly AYCE pancake breakfast somewhere near NOC or Fontana Dam?......Can just anyone help maintain the shelters in the smokies or do we have to cut through a bunch of GSMNP red tape? Does anyone have any other ideas? Serious suggestions, please.
Thanks in advance...

Tha Wookie
08-05-2005, 15:06
The powers that be, in the town of Bryson City, N.C. would like to make their town a little more "trail friendly". Mabye in the way of Volunteer Shelter and/or Trail maintence, trail magic, mabye a regular shuttle from the NOC or Fontana into town, mabye a weekly AYCE pancake breakfast somewhere near NOC or Fontana Dam?......Can just anyone help maintain the shelters in the smokies or do we have to cut through a bunch of GSMNP red tape? Does anyone have any other ideas? Serious suggestions, please.
Thanks in advance...
Commission Common Folk to play at road crossings!!!!

K-Bear
08-05-2005, 16:40
hehehe....that's AWESOME wookie! You know "common folk!" Those guys are killer! Another local bluegrass band that is worth hearing is "Sawmill Creek"...those boys can pick!!!

restless
08-05-2005, 16:52
Thanks in advance...

K-Bear,
Sounds like things are getting off to a roaring start for you in BC. AS to maintaining the trail, I would reccommend you contact the Smoky Mountain Hiking Club, which maintains the trail I believe to NOC. Also, I would find out who has the section south of SMHC territory. Try both clubs, see what their requirements are. Most clubs are more than willing to take on more volunteers, but others can be a bit exclusive. By no means would I perform any work though without first contacting the local maintaining chapter.
As for other things you mentiones, more often associated with Trail magic, I would say go for it. The only other thing I could think of that would be nice in BC, would be a hostel of some sort that offers shuttle services to and from the trail. Bc definitely would appela to most hikers, especially section hikers, but I'm not sure thru hikers would make the trip off the AT. I have heard of some making the trek and perhaps with a little town backing, BC could become a trail town to some extent.

Youngblood
08-05-2005, 20:20
I stayed there and resupplied on my thru... gave me a nice heavy pack for the climb out. :) It was a nice trail town with everything I needed. The hitch in and out wasn't particularly easy but hitches are a crapshoot anyway.

Now, if the train would let you go from Wesser to Bryson City and back, it would be a hoot! I think it might make Bryson City a must stop for thrus, not too many folks get to ride trains anymore, especially vintage ones. It would be a unique experience on a thru hike... maybe have a 'work for ride' where you shovel the coal or something? :jump

Youngblood

sliderule
08-08-2005, 23:55
Now, if the train would let you go from Wesser to Bryson City and back, it would be a hoot! They don't check tickets at Wesser. Just get on!!! Then you could buy a ticket for the BC-Wesser-BC trip; just get off at Wesser and don't get back on.

sliderule
08-08-2005, 23:59
I'm not sure thru hikers would make the trip off the AT. Perhaps not. But the sure don't have a problem leaving the trail to go to Gatlinburg.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2005, 07:45
Gatlinburg is an easy hitch and has a helluva lot more to offer than Bryson City.

Youngblood
08-09-2005, 09:03
They don't check tickets at Wesser. Just get on!!! Then you could buy a ticket for the BC-Wesser-BC trip; just get off at Wesser and don't get back on.You sure about them not checking tickets? ... and not caring? Seems like I asked about getting a ride to BC one time and doing what you said... I was turned down. Also seems like it was priced for a longer haul and out of line for a Wesser to Bryson City to Wesser shuttle... if that was worked out it would make Bryson City a lot more trail friendly/usable. A lot more... and I thought you were asking for ideas to make Bryson City more trail friendly. Just telling me to hop a train I don't have a ticket for and paying for an overpriced (I wish I remembered what the price was, but it is not set up for that short of a trip) ticket to get back doesn't sound all that accomodating for Bryson City. Maybe they could work on a 'thru hiker shuttle deal' on the train, that is what I'm suggesting... I think it is a great suggestion to your request in the first post of this thread. Do you want ideas or not? :-? The first problem to overcome is getting people from Wesser to Bryson City and back, there is a train that goes between them and stops at both of them, figure out a way to use it so that it is a win-win situation for all parties... that is a good way to deal with it, right?

Youngblood

Frolicking Dinosaurs
08-09-2005, 09:35
A thru hiker shuttle deal that was listed in the trail guides would likely make Bryson City a much more attractive stop to hikers.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2005, 09:45
There's no real need to go into BC. Most hikers resupplied in Franklin then resupply at Fontana for the Smokys. No shuttle services needed.

K-Bear
08-09-2005, 20:04
I'm liking the idea of the train pickup at wesser to B.C. a lot. I wonder if anyone at the smoky mountain railroad is "hiker friendly"? If i'm them, i'd offer a discounted rate to hikers at wesser that just wanted a ride to BC! Mabye they want to either take a zero in BC or just get a beer and hear some live music. Either way, the SMRR is based right here in town and revenue is revenue. Geez that would be such a novelty!!! Next train opportunity is the one into NYC, right?

Even still, while noone is allergic to money, this idea is born on the principal of just getting the word out to hikers that Bryson City really loves hikers....that's all. This is a really killer little town! I saw a 73 year old lady wearing birkenstocks around today. (I went up and talked to her about her sandals and she volunteered her age) There is a really large "outdoor" community in and around here, between the paddling, hiking, and cycling (TSALI is amazing!!!)... The town just kinda wants to show some love. All capitalism aside. That's why my first ideas are about shelter/trail maintence...i've looked around but i'm still unsure of who to e-mail with questions about that. I have sent a general e-mail on the Smoky Mountain homepage but haven't heard back yet.

Hell, I think a hostel-shuttle combo might work nice here but i'm saving for my own hike next spring so i'm not even gonna think about anything like that till after Mt.K
Think about this though....could bryson city help people to board their dogs while they hike the smokies????? I mean, the Deep Creek trail system takes me to clingman's dome in 14 miles! Highway 441 takes me there in 20 min. I know Gatlinburg would be better suited for such a service but hey...boarding dogs thru the smokies was a real problem for some in 03!!! An expensive one!!! I don't know actually, that might not work....the dog would have to be delivered to the North end of GSMNP....if picked up at fontana village.......i just thought of this right now....i dunno...brainstorming with myself here!:p

Love the ideas, guys.....keep em coming! I have an important ear bent here in town....he's read all your ideas so far.

Sly
08-09-2005, 20:13
If BC would run a beer truck to Fontana and NOC you'd be on to something!

K-Bear
08-09-2005, 20:17
The BRYSON CITY DOGGIE HOSTEL!!!
That's cute, right there.......the only dog-hostel on the trail! hehehehe I like that! "K-9 Kincora" I wonder if Bob Peoples would let me use that!!! He's a dog lover!

K-Bear
08-09-2005, 20:19
SO TRUE SLY!!! Hell man, when I got to NOC it was raining, I had monkey butt, and the only cure was a cold draft....that's the only reason I made it into B.C. at all!!! Then I fell in love with the place...

K-Bear
08-09-2005, 20:36
Standing Dog?...instead of "standing bear".......think Marcus would be on board?
I can't think of anyting to mimic "Ms. Janets" hehe, sorry, i'm just cracking myself up here

Youngblood
08-10-2005, 07:55
There is/was Amtrak service from Harpers Ferry to DC as well as the one in the middle of the booneys to NYC. Let's see rail service along the AT to BC, DC and NYC... that would put BC in the big leagues. :banana

sherrill
08-10-2005, 09:31
Train service up and down the trail....rail blazing? :D

sliderule
08-10-2005, 10:42
Gatlinburg is an easy hitch and has a helluva lot more to offer than Bryson City.Bryson City is attactive to me because it does have less to offer than Gatlinburg!!! No Ripleys Believe It or Not, no Hillbilly Golf, no Hard Rock Cafe, no hordes of tourists clamoring to buy junky souvenirs and attend horror shows. Obviously, a lot of people like what Gatlinburg has to offer; otherwise the place would not be so crowded. But I will take BC any day.
Gatlinburg is an easy hitch. Bryson City is an easy train ride.

sliderule
08-10-2005, 10:57
That's why my first ideas are about shelter/trail maintence...i've looked around but i'm still unsure of who to e-mail with questions about that. I have sent a general e-mail on the Smoky Mountain homepage but haven't heard back yet.

Check your PM for the email address of the SMHC President. I'm sure that he will get back to you. Interestingly, he is an architect and is responsible for the design of the renovated shelters in the GSMNP. Speaking of shelter renovation, Spence Field is undergoing surgery next month. It's a good bet that they need help with that.

sliderule
08-10-2005, 21:00
Maybe they could work on a 'thru hiker shuttle deal' on the train, that is what I'm suggesting... I think it is a great suggestion to your request in the first post of this thread. Do you want ideas or not? :-? The first problem to overcome is getting people from Wesser to Bryson City and back, there is a train that goes between them and stops at both of them, figure out a way to use it so that it is a win-win situation for all parties... that is a good way to deal with it, right?

YoungbloodHere is the address:
Great Smoky Mountains Railroad
P.O. Box 1490
Bryson City, NC 28713

Draft a proposal, submit it, and let us know what they think. I think you have a great idea.

K-Bear
08-22-2005, 10:27
Thanks sliderule, I've E-mailed Mr. Royer and am waiting to hear back from him.
Also, I am drilling down to the heart of these ideas but when you say "draft a proposal" it sounds intimidating. I don't know how to formally draft a proposal so i'll have to study up on that but thanks for your input.

sliderule
08-23-2005, 00:10
If I were trying to sell the train idea, I would try to get one (or more) of the local motels on board. They would likely be the largest beneficiary of a hiker influx. And business is probably pretty slack during the April/May time frame when the majority of thru hikers would be passing through. So if one or two of the motels near the train station supported the idea, the concept might pick up some steam. Also, I suspect that BC has some sort of tourism bureau or chamber of commerce that might be of assistance.

However, it's entirely possible that there might be some legal and/or regulatory complications. Since the train is in the entertainment business as opposed to providing actual transportation, it may lack some of the necessary licenses, etc. that would be required to provide public transportation. Another consideration would be the impact on NOC/Wesser. It seems that NOC and the train are engaged in a mutually beneficial operation. The train folks might not want to start hauling NOC business to BC. Probably not an issue, but it could be.

Krewzer
08-23-2005, 09:55
The train idea is great.

I wonder if there are still some of those old maintenance carts the RR workers used to get up and down the tracks. You know, the little guys with the putt putt engine. Maybe the RR could use one or two for shuttle service in between the excursions. That wouldn't be too hard to coordinate.

It would be fun open air ride to town and would keep my smelly hiker butt away from civilians. If it's possible to do, it would make a cheap ride to town for the ever thrifty hiker.