PDA

View Full Version : Am I taking warm enough clothing?

Candy Korn
08-19-2013, 00:15
I am doing 2 weeks on the trail, from springer to Franklin at the end of September/ beginning of October. I have a frog togg rain suit, 2 extra pairs of socks, 1 extra pair underwear, 1 Columbia lightweight convertible pants and shirt. I have a 20degree sleeping bag, and a 3 season tent. Will I be warm enough on the trail during this time with what I have? Should I add a fleece?

Rasty
08-19-2013, 00:21
Yes add a lightweight fleece pullover . Add a light watch cap also.

Bronk
08-19-2013, 00:56
You are from Florida...you will be extra cold if you are like most who have lived there for any length of time. Have a tshirt, long sleeve fleece and a rain jacket at minimum. Which will be more miserable, having to carry an extra piece of clothing or feeling like you are freezing all the time? A knit winter hat is cheap and lightweight insurance that will keep all the heat from escaping your head.

daddytwosticks
08-19-2013, 07:17
Agree. All great suggestions. 20 degree bag will be way warm enough. May be able to get by with a lighter bag if you sleep warm. :)

pyroman53
08-19-2013, 09:42
I have done similar trips in GA, NC, TN at this same time period over the past few years and I have taken a little bit more than a light fleece (puff jacket) and I have needed it each time (I'm from AZ). Mid thirties is not unheard of at higher elevations.

MuddyWaters
08-19-2013, 18:12
Probably only looking at temps in the mid 40s even at higher elevations
110 miles in 2weeks is fairly slow

If it were me, the clothing Id take would be:

Rainjacket
Rainskirt
thin puffy jacket or fleece
fleece beanie
silkweight long john bottoms
1 pr spare socks
40F quilt