PDA

View Full Version : VA Day Hike: US 60 to VA 56 (The Priest area) Doable?

smokieshangman
08-19-2013, 06:12
I will be day hiking the section of AT in VA from US 60 to VA 56 (~25 miles). Other than the initial "good" climb from either direction, it appears doable once the high point(s) are reached. Any thoughts from those who have "been there, done that" would be appreciated.

scudder
08-19-2013, 07:01
how many miles an hour do you usually hike? Of course its doable particularly if you have your trail legs. I'd take a headlamp for sure as the climb up Bald Mt and down the Priest each take about 2 hrs for me to negotiate. YMMV. Definitely take a moment at Spy Rock if you can spare the time. There's a sweet camp spot at Piney River , near Seeley Woodworth Shelter if you decide to overnight.

smokieshangman
08-19-2013, 07:14
how many miles an hour do you usually hike? Of course its doable particularly if you have your trail legs. I'd take a headlamp for sure as the climb up Bald Mt and down the Priest each take about 2 hrs for me to negotiate. YMMV. Definitely take a moment at Spy Rock if you can spare the time. There's a sweet camp spot at Piney River , near Seeley Woodworth Shelter if you decide to overnight.

I can comfortably average 3.0 mph for 20+ mile hikes (in the Smokies). Looks like I should go NOBO with less elevation gain? My main concern is getting to the "high point" (Bald or Priest) and getting killed by the endless ups and downs. Should I be? Thanks for any input.

scudder
08-19-2013, 07:25
I'm more of a 2 mph guy, and that would be a long slog for me, but lots of entries in the Priest Shelter log in May -June mention starting out at 60.A little less daylight this time of year.Weather could be a factor.

Deer Hunter
08-19-2013, 08:21
I would go north. After the climb up to Big Bald, it's not that bad. Like Scudder said, take a couple minutes at Spy Rock. It not that far off the trail at all.