PDA

View Full Version : What's Missing for Services if Anything in Hot Springs NC and All Along the Trail

TrailTrekr
08-19-2013, 11:00
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are looking at a substantial real estate purchase in Hot Springs NC and are interested in hearing from hikers that have been through the town what the town was lacking in services. Also where on the trail is there a need for hostels or other services that are not being met or do you feel your needs were met well all along the trail. What's the hostel situation like throughout Virginia? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Sly
08-19-2013, 11:07
Hot Spring has adequate hiker services and lodging including a hostel, a retreat, a motel, B&B's, an outfitter, restaurants, library, etc. Virginia is pretty well covered too.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2013, 11:18
Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are looking at a substantial real estate purchase in Hot Springs NC and are interested in hearing from hikers that have been through the town what the town was lacking in services. Also where on the trail is there a need for hostels or other services that are not being met or do you feel your needs were met well all along the trail. What's the hostel situation like throughout Virginia? Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

Damascus needs a full service hostel. not many options here

Drybones
08-19-2013, 14:07
Hot Springs was great, had everything I could want, enjoyed my time there.

Lone Wolf
08-19-2013, 14:17
Damascus needs a full service hostel. not many options here

a hostel that has beds/bunks, laundry, internet, shuttle service, dog kennel, maybe meals, etc. is what i'm gettin' at

peakbagger
08-19-2013, 14:44
If you are planning a substantial real estate purchase and are looking at a hostel in the same breath please do a lot of research on the costs of building a legal hostel that will stand up to inspection as a commercial overnight accommodation. Otherwise whatever arrangement you may consider, you are opening yourself up to substantial legal liability. Much as I have used the services of several hostels over the years and enjoyed the experience, I cringed at the life safety compromises made at many of the facilities. Some popular violations were improperly installed solid fuel appliances with inadequate clearances, open stairwells to sleeping areas, kitchen facilities not segregated from sleeping areas. single means of egress to second floor sleeping accommodations and generally no alternative means of egress, lack of firewalls between adjacent structures, fire detection devices not present, non functional or single power source detectors and numerous other issues.

Basically the lack of proper permitting may not be an issue with the rural areas these hostels may be located in but one accident and the insurance company walks away leaving the owners to pay for whatever damages that have occurred to those impacted.

Sure a hostel owner can go the strictly donation route, but soon learn that there are folks who will take advantage of free. Many going to the recommended donation method and risk the chance of having to prove after the fact that the donations were strictly voluntary. Much as the concept of letting folks sleep in a barn out back is attractive, the reality is that when someone get hurt they or their kin will want financial relief.

Chaco Taco
08-19-2013, 14:51
I feel like Hot Springs is pretty well covered in the hiker services dept. LW pointed out some things that would be good to offer in Damascus, VA especially with many of those services no longer being offered.

Venchka
08-19-2013, 14:53
Good luck in Hot Springs! My wife and I walked the whole town the first week of June. We saw several For Sale signs. I wonder which one you chose?

Wayne

Jeff
08-19-2013, 14:56
Chuck and Tigger have been doing a great job at Laughing Heart Hostel these past 2 years. And of course there is Elmers who has hosted hikers for the past 30+ years and has an outstanding reputation. I do wonder how long Elmer intends to continue hosting hikers.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-19-2013, 15:40
hot springs is pretty well covered in terms of services for hikers

Catnip514
08-30-2013, 17:54
A vegetarian/vegan restaurant is always welcome in any trail town. But then again Hot Springs has shops and restaurants that have more vegan options than most country towns.

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 21:54
Go Go bar.

hikerboy57
08-30-2013, 21:58
foot rubs. more foot rubs.

Dogwood
08-30-2013, 22:02
foot rubs. more foot rubs.

Wind you NYers up and you run like an Energizer bunny.

RED-DOG
08-31-2013, 15:34
Like every one else has said Hot Springs is a great town and has plenty of Hiker Services, Damascus has Hiker Services it has B&Bs, Dave's place, resturants, Outfitter's but it does need a Laundry facility, The one town in VA I would like to see have a HOSTEL is GLASGOW they need Hiker Services BADLY.

Sly
08-31-2013, 16:41
The one town in VA I would like to see have a HOSTEL is GLASGOW they need Hiker Services BADLY.

Glascow has a hiker shelter with water and showers. The town also has groceries, a restaurant, laundry, library, and other services as well.

Slo-go'en
08-31-2013, 17:09
Glascow has a hiker shelter with water and showers. The town also has groceries, a restaurant, laundry, library, and other services as well.

If the motel there is still standing, it might be worth renovating.

Mr. Bumpy
08-31-2013, 17:12
Hot springs doesn't have a bicycle shop. Someone tried several years ago but couldn't make a run of it but I wonder if the market might be better, especially for a seasonal shop. I suppose there would be a bit of overlap with the outfitter and that wouldn't be good for either business.

Venchka
08-31-2013, 18:37
Hot Springs struck us and depressed and depressing. The non-stop dreary, wet weather may have had something to do with our impression. given the current state of affairs in the USPS, I have to wonder how long the Post Office will be open. It couldn't be located any better for AT users.
All hail The Diner! Eat often. Eat plenty.

Looks like the OP was another Hit & Run.

Wayne

Lone Wolf
08-31-2013, 21:25
Hot springs doesn't have a bicycle shop. .

cuz there ain't no bikin' trails there.....

Sly
08-31-2013, 21:33
If the motel there is still standing, it might be worth renovating.

Excellent idea.

Blissful
08-31-2013, 22:26
I'd suggest New England area if you can do it. Not much in CT and MA. At least we've got Jeff in VT.
Or in VA, Pearisburg. The one motel on the trail burned and the church hostel closed.

Catnip514
09-01-2013, 09:35
cuz there ain't no bikin' trails there.....

There actually is some bike trails there. Some are not maintained all that well but do exist. I know there has been a push to create some new ones in Madison County as well as get other trails designated multi-use.

mtnkngxt
09-02-2013, 09:10
I'd second Damascus and Pearisburg. A full service hostel is needed in both towns.

The Place is great if you're a saint, but let's face it most of us are inclined to have a beer at the end of a long day and I don't want to disrespect the beliefs of the church folks up there, but a place where hikers can act like hikers with inclusive facilities would be great.

Bunks, Dog Kennel, Dog Wash tub, Laundry, internet access, and either a shuttle or numbers for reliable shuttles would be a hit.

Lone Wolf
09-02-2013, 09:28
I'd second Damascus and Pearisburg.

Bunks, Dog Kennel, Dog Wash tub, Laundry, internet access, and either a shuttle or numbers for reliable shuttles would be a hit.
and Damascus is ripe for it

Sly
09-02-2013, 09:43
Pearisburg. The one motel on the trail burned and the church hostel closed.

Is the hostel closed? I was under the impression the new pastor wanted to keep it open.

And aren't there two other motels, closer to the trail than the hostel?

mtnkngxt
09-05-2013, 22:12
Is MRO still running the small place across the street? Haven't seen Jeff or his dad in 2 years since I graduated from old Clinch Valley.

Seatbelt
09-06-2013, 10:29
Is MRO still running the small place across the street? Haven't seen Jeff or his dad in 2 years since I graduated from old Clinch Valley.

Yes, I stayed there one night last month. Jeff also repaired mu Leki poles free of charge. nice guy.

Seatbelt
09-06-2013, 10:32
Hot Springs struck us and depressed and depressing. The non-stop dreary, wet weather may have had something to do with our impression. given the current state of affairs in the USPS, I have to wonder how long the Post Office will be open. It couldn't be located any better for AT users.
All hail The Diner! Eat often. Eat plenty.

Looks like the OP was another Hit & Run.

Wayne
I had just the opposite impression of Hot Springs...the people were extremely nice and helpful everywhere I stopped. And +1 on the Diner!!

Jack Tarlin
09-06-2013, 12:33
As far as places that are under-served as regards hostels, I would look at Vermont. I would also make sure I got the word about the new place out to cyclists, leaf-peepers, budget-minded skiers and snowmobilers, i.e. I wouldn't just think about A.T. people. There aren't that many of them.

Gravesbrock
12-10-2013, 01:34
Hot springs doesn't have a bicycle shop. Someone tried several years ago but couldn't make a run of it but I wonder if the market might be better, especially for a seasonal shop. I suppose there would be a bit of overlap with the outfitter and that wouldn't be good for either business.

I think that it's probably to close to Asheville to have a bike shop

Gravesbrock
12-10-2013, 01:35
A grocery store. A real grocery not a gas station or dollar general grocery....

daddytwosticks
12-10-2013, 08:18
A grocery store. A real grocery not a gas station or dollar general grocery....
This is true. Vacationed in Hot Springs for a few days this past June. I feel they definitely need a decent grocery store. However, given their population, the chances of a large grocery store chain opening up there is probably remote. :)

Sly
12-10-2013, 10:41
This is true. Vacationed in Hot Springs for a few days this past June. I feel they definitely need a decent grocery store. However, given their population, the chances of a large grocery store chain opening up there is probably remote. :)

I think the hostel runs shuttles to Marshall (Ingles) and Weaverville (Walmart) fairly often. Otherwise between drops, the small grocery store, the Dollar store and the Outfitter you can easily resupply.

Sly
12-10-2013, 10:47
As far as places that are under-served as regards hostels, I would look at Vermont.

Huh? Bennington (cheap motel), Manchester Center (hostel), and Rutland (hostel), (even Killington), Vermont has it all with well spaced resupply and a few pit-stops in-between.

Drybones
12-10-2013, 10:49
I had just the opposite impression of Hot Springs...the people were extremely nice and helpful everywhere I stopped. And +1 on the Diner!!

Agree...I loved the town...and the diner.

perrymk
12-10-2013, 14:33
It's not exactly what you asked but I did see a small hotel for sale along the Florida Trail in White Springs. Close to state parks and the Suwannee River. 17 units plus manager apartment, $160000. The sign said rooms for $29 per night. Even if you made it $35 or $39 it'd still be the cheapest around. Looks like it would be a good deal for the right person.

Dogwood
12-11-2013, 01:44
To the OP, I would first want to know your goals and priorities. Is this a biz your husband and you want to run full time? In other words, how hands on do your husband and you want to be in this venture? Do you want a side biz that is oriented more as a seasonal operation so that your retired/soon to be retired husband and you can have relationships and connections w/ hikers and the hiking community basically as a biz hobbyist or are you seeking more of a yr round self supporting financially sustainable biz or some combination of aspects? Personally, even though I'm a hiking fanatic, IF I WAS to desire a yr round financially self sustaining biz in the Hot Springs NC area I would not solely rely on income from hikers. Hiking clientele dollars would account for only part of the biz's income if I desired operating/owning a yr round biz in this area. For example, IF I was to run a yr round Hostel(and depending how I organized the venture, perhaps even if operating a seasonal Hostel) on the east coast I would be advertising to all travelers(skiers(winter sports enthusiasts), outdoorspeople(hunters, fisherman, hikers, bird watchers, etc), Naturalists, leaf peepers, sightseers, etc). That's another possible consideration: IF you want to be connected with the hiking community are you willing to explore an investment venture and living arrangements not on the east coast or for that matter directly on the AT? My question is, "why Hot Springs NC?" Love the area but you are probably served by answering these questions. I also tell you this because I know those who find they enjoy having a "connection" w/ the hiking community AND assume that will be enhanced by starting/owning/operating a small biz that caters to this clientele through offering services, amenities, etc YET what they find is not what they thought they were signing up for. Others do this and turn that "connection" to financially sustainable businesses, enhanced relationships, and more rewarding lives for themselves. Get clear in what your objectives are(that also means probably your husband and you should be on the same page!), speak to as many biz owners who cater to a hiker clientele as will speak with your husband and you(have you ever been to ALDHA meetings?), observe, CAREFULLY consider, and find different scenarios that could work for you band your spouse. It's probably BEST financially that you consider these things BEFORE jumping into a biz venture as you're describing you desire.

Dogwood
12-11-2013, 01:53
You asked your question in very broad terms with virtually no very important details that will relate to a biz venture as well. For example, a fundamental consideration is what level of investment range are you talking about?