PDA

View Full Version : Rebecca Mtn Hike - 8/16/13

marti038
08-19-2013, 11:13
My brother and I hiked section 3 (Rebecca Mountain) this past Friday night/Saturday morning. I thought I'd give a little info about the current condition of the trail.

We hiked the first couple of miles to maybe a quarter mile beyond where you leave FS675 on Friday night, and camped about 100 yards south of the trail in a nice little flat spot next to a small stream (that actually had water at the time).

The first part of the trail was in okay shape, but there were areas where the undergrowth had completely taken over the trail. Had the blazing not been so well done, it would have been a little challenging to navigate. Some plots of the forest in this area were not mature, leaving plenty of sunlight for brush to grow up during this wet, wet summer. There are a few trees across the trail, but nothing we couldn’t step over or under with relative ease.

From 675 to the West Communication Tower (WCT), the trail is in fine shape, save a few patches of undergrowth (and the blackberry/thorn bushes) in the last mile or so before the tower.

Moving north from the WCT the trail follows the ridge which also parallels and old road bed. Most of this area was easy to follow until the trail crosses the old road bed. There is a spot where the weeds/grass/brush was about 6 feet tall (this is no exaggeration). We had to pan out a bit to relocate the trail across the old road bed, but from that point on navigation was a breeze; very few blowdowns or issues all the way to Bull’s Gap.

We had a great time. Thanks to everyone who has invested work in blazing this section. It is a lovely piece of trail.

atmilkman
08-19-2013, 11:55
Thanks for the update. Always good to hear about current conditions. Glad you enjoyed it.

al_stargazer
08-19-2013, 19:54
Thanks for reporting your trip. We are planning a trail clean-up day in October. Maybe the trail won't get any worse before then. :-)

marti038
08-20-2013, 09:00
I don't know if anyone is planning on hauling a chainsaw out there in October, but the only downed tree that I recall being large enough to require that sort of muscle is just north of where the trail leaves 675. Bow saws and axes would be plenty for the rest of the trail.