PDA

View Full Version : I wish they still made a Lyme vaccine

illabelle
08-19-2013, 13:08
I found this article about a Lyme vaccine. I was surprised to learn that a vaccine existed for a while. Unfortunately the company was forced to withdraw the product because of public opinion - even though their fears were not well substantiated. I would certainly listen to the advice of a doctor and other knowledgeable people, but I'm pretty sure if the vaccine was available today, I would be one of the first in line to get it. Given all the Lyme discussion on WB, I'm thinking many of you would get the vaccine as well.

http://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/history-lyme-disease-vaccine

Chaco Taco
08-19-2013, 13:55
I found this article about a Lyme vaccine. I was surprised to learn that a vaccine existed for a while. Unfortunately the company was forced to withdraw the product because of public opinion - even though their fears were not well substantiated. I would certainly listen to the advice of a doctor and other knowledgeable people, but I'm pretty sure if the vaccine was available today, I would be one of the first in line to get it. Given all the Lyme discussion on WB, I'm thinking many of you would get the vaccine as well.

http://www.historyofvaccines.org/content/articles/history-lyme-disease-vaccine
Id def pass on that.

tiptoe
08-19-2013, 15:18
I did get this vaccine, and had no ill effects. For me, it was a no-brainer because I live in Connecticut, where Lyme disease was first identified, and because I'm a serious gardener and am outdoors as often as possible. I'm sorry it's no longer offered.

Pathfinder1
08-19-2013, 15:47
Hi...

I was afflicted with Lyme Disease at least 20-years ago...when little (or nothing) was known about it then. I belive that the tick involved bit me when I was on my own lawn, lounging.

If no good vaccine is available, at least take the usual precautions when afield: Socks over pants cuffs and taped, the same for long shirt sleeves. Some insect repellents allege to discourage deer ticks...perhape they are worth trying. And always check yourself and pets when concluding...and during...your trek.