PDA

View Full Version : Loyalsock Trail in PA, looking for advice from those who have completed this trail

UnfamousK
08-19-2013, 16:26
Hi, me and two friends (both experienced backpackers) are planning the LT for the first week of October. We are used to PAs rocky condition (born and raised) and we are use to cold weather camping. My question is, does it seem conceivable to do this hike in 3 nights/ 4 days? Our general milage is 12-18 usually on the AT and other local trails. But it seems like most reviews i have read list this hike as 4-6 nights, im curious as to if it earned its difficult rating morely because of the "weekend warrior" crowds it usually draws. Any advice is appreciated......happy trails

jmitchell
08-20-2013, 17:06
That is a reasonable time frame. Big climbs on the western end but the terrain moderates as you head east. Not nearly as rocky as places on the AT. Difficulty is relative; it is challenging in places (like the steep climb at the western trailhead) but overall it is manageable. Enjoy it is a fine trail with a lot of diversity, many waterfalls, superb camping. Keep in mind there are few bridges over the creeks. The fall colors should be great.