PDA

View Full Version : Help locating an item of interest:

MedicineMan
01-04-2003, 23:25
I am looking for a high / low thermometer but can't find one at the typicl places like Campmor or REI....my scoutmaster of old is the last person I saw with one...looked like a typical thermometer 'cept it had a plastic type shroud, but still weighed maybe an ounce...anybody know where I might buy one?

Kerosene
01-05-2003, 23:48
I did a quick search on Google for "high-low + thermometer" and found this (http://www.drydenaqua.com/instruments/temperature/temperature.htm). There aren't any dimensions or weight specs, but at least it's weatherproof and floats!

MedicineMan
01-06-2003, 02:00
I found the same thermometer when I did yahoo but it seems like that one needs to be immersed into liquid (alcohol)....you know the type I am looking for, probably isnt made anymore since the digital revolution. I will keep hunting and probably will go digital if I have too.

Redbeard
01-06-2003, 02:26
Scoutstuff.org
key ring thermometer, 1/3oz, $10

MedicineMan
01-06-2003, 02:40
The Scout key ring thermometer looks good but I am looking for a Min/Max therm. so when I wake up frozen in the hammock I can know how cold it got...
I like the concept of the I-button but I dont want to wait until I get home to upload the info to the PC to find out just how cold it got.

Redbeard
01-06-2003, 03:52
Er, yeah, okay, didn't read that one all the way!
All the high/low therm's I found were fairly bulky, and tended to be for liquid use.

SGT Rock
01-06-2003, 05:24
Just a bit of experience from many nights of being on guard outside a lot, the coldest time is almost always about 30 minutes after sunrise. When I was in Germany I would test this often while stuck guarding the motor pool with a digital thermometer on my watch. So if you check the temp at about daybreak, that will give you the normal lowest temp. The idea of that thermometer sounds cool though. I saw a guy with one in 2001 on the trail at Carter Gap Shelter, He told me the low the next day which was a temperature that sounded warmer than it felt, but it always does to me anyway :-?

MedicineMan
01-06-2003, 06:10
So if you were to go digital which one would you get....one that you could reset before crawling into the sleeping bag and then check the minimum temp when you got up...
I hate the thought of a digital one but hey I'm wearing a Suunto wrist computer, carrying a ham radio, and sometimes a PDA, so what's a little more silicon intrusion!
Seriously, any brands/models any of you might suggest. This coming weekend we are going from Wyah Gap to Wesser and I gotta feeling its going to be cold!

Uncle Wayne
01-06-2003, 09:35
Radio shack has a digital thermometer that records the inside and outside temp constantly and also the max and min for both locations. It is smaller than a cigarette pack and uses two AA batteries I believe. Another feature is an alarm, which you can set to turn on at a specific temperature. Mine doesn't have an on and off switch so you have to remove the batteries to conserve battery life. It has a 48 inch cable attached with the "outside" sensor. I don't remember the weight, but it wasn't very much. I have checked the temp outside versus the inside of my tent before and as most will tell you it ranged about 10* warmer inside.