PDA

View Full Version : october weather

restlesss
08-19-2013, 21:31
anyone know what the snow/weather is like at the end of october?

DaFireMedic
08-20-2013, 15:31

Can be anything from relatively warm and sunny to a literal blizzard. Shorter hikes of a few days are OK for that time of year when you can get a decent forecast, but I wouldn't recommend attempting a JMT thru-hike. It would be too late in the season to do so safely, even for an experienced hiker. The weather can get dangerous as the first big snowstorms of the year usually come in late October. There's no resupply available by then either.

Miner
08-20-2013, 22:27
October brings unstable and unpredictable weather. It can be nice or snowing heavily. The later in the month you go, the more likely it is to snow. The nights will be below freezing no matter what. Planning something for the beginning of October is one thing, but planning something for the end of October is asking to get snowed on.

Gray Blazer
08-21-2013, 07:13
Hippy Dippy Weather Forecast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1uaw3WIOlc

Coffee
08-21-2013, 08:29
Watch this video of a JMT thru hike attempt starting on Oct. 6. "Winter is Coming"

http://vimeo.com/7851505

I originally considered starting after Labor Day but decided I wanted to be well off the trail by late September/early October so I will start next week and end around Sept 15. Winter the high sierra is well beyond my skill level.

Miner
08-21-2013, 10:25
Thats a great video.

I actually love the Sierra after Labor day and plan many of my trips for then. The crowds and bugs are all gone and the fords are easy. Sure I was snowed on once in the 3rd week of September, but it was only a few inches and melted off fast. And normally my September trips are snow free though cold at night. September and October are two different things.

DaFireMedic
08-21-2013, 18:03
Watch this video of a JMT thru hike attempt starting on Oct. 6. "Winter is Coming"

http://vimeo.com/7851505

I love that video too, it was one of my inspirations to do the JMT. The first comment on that video from 3 years ago is from me, saying that I would love to do the JMT and he replied with "The JMT beckons". Sure enough, I did it 2 years later.

garyp
08-21-2013, 23:00
cold and snowy.

colorado_rob
08-22-2013, 11:21
We hiked the JMT last year the first two weeks of October, and had perfect, warm, dry weather and it did not get below freezing at night, at least where we camped. I had a 20 degree bag and never really needed that much warmth. BUT, like Colorado, and as others have said, big difference between early/mid October and the end of October. In Colorado, a switch goes off late October and oh boy... look out! Trick-or-treaters around here typically have to wear down under their Halloween costumes, no kidding. I suspect the high Sierra's are much like CO in this respect. If there is any way to go earlier in October, you would probably be well served.