PDA

View Full Version : 7 days and 7 nights

SkeeterL
08-19-2013, 22:26
I have 7 days and 7 nights to spend on the AT next year. I would like some advice on a moderate to challenging section of the AT. I would also like to know the best time of year for that section. I would like to try and cover 100 miles or so. Have some backpacking experience in Missouri and New Mexico. Any help is appreciated.

kayak karl
08-19-2013, 22:44
i like the Whites :)

Lumberjack2003
08-20-2013, 07:09
What time of year will you be taking the time?

FarmerChef
08-20-2013, 10:43
I have 7 days and 7 nights to spend on the AT next year. I would like some advice on a moderate to challenging section of the AT. I would also like to know the best time of year for that section. I would like to try and cover 100 miles or so. Have some backpacking experience in Missouri and New Mexico. Any help is appreciated.

I highly recommend middle to southern Virginia anywhere from Shenandoah National Park down to Damascus. Also Hot Springs to Damascus. If you can go in the fall for leaf peeping it is beautiful - also, late spring when the flowers come out in force. I might recommend Vermont in the fall too but not sure about the mud situation.

SkeeterL
08-20-2013, 12:47
Sometime between Mid April and Mid June. Timing is a little flexible. Could go in September but don't really want to wait that long.

peakbagger
08-20-2013, 13:04
Mid April through mid June is not good fro New England. Nice time from the middle atlantic or further south.

WILLIAM HAYES
08-20-2013, 17:09
september would be a great month for doing the 100 mile wilderness

grgermeg
08-21-2013, 01:51
I highly recommend middle to southern Virginia anywhere from Shenandoah National Park down to Damascus. Also Hot Springs to Damascus. If you can go in the fall for leaf peeping it is beautiful - also, late spring when the flowers come out in force. I might recommend Vermont in the fall too but not sure about the mud situation.
Yes, true.