PDA

View Full Version : Is there safe parking on 522 in VA. Top of SNP

twilight
08-19-2013, 23:12
Looking for some insight on parking on 522 at the top SNP. My guidebook says there is a small parking area along the road somplace, is it safe? Looking to end a section hike here. What have you done with your car in this area?

Twilight

Mitey Mo
08-20-2013, 05:17
You can always park at the 4H center just off a side trail from the AT. It is very safe there. You just have to fill out a form with your information and leave it at the office.

rsjrny
08-20-2013, 07:14
I would definitely use the 4H center, they welcome hikers and their cars. The last thing you want to be thinking about while hiking is your car.

twilight
08-20-2013, 16:38
Where is the 4H center in relation to US 522? Is the the center on 522? I need to get to where the trail starts heading north again to connect my southbound hikes with my northbound hikes. Once the SNP is completed I'll have section hiked from CT/MA border to Springer Mtn, GA.

Thanks for your help

Twilight

johnnybgood
08-20-2013, 17:37
Here's a link : www.nova4h.com (http://www.nova4h.com)

Windsong
08-24-2013, 01:18
I read that there were break-ins at that parking area one day (last year?) - in the middle of the day. We left a car there last Saturday and a couple of weeks ago with no problems, but this was for day hikes (6 - 8 hrs) on the weekend. Other than that, I wouldn't be comfortable leaving a car there (I will say I'm generally not comfortable leaving a car anywhere). 522 is a fairly well-traveled road during the day, but the parking area is a couple miles outside of town and right along 522 - your car would be visible to every car going by and could very likely be the only car there overnight.