PDA

View Full Version : Gear List FOr Your Review

BuckeyeBill
08-20-2013, 08:48
Here is my gear list for your viewing pleasure. Let me know what you think. Thanks in advance.

First Aid/Survival 31 Oz.

Adventure Medical Kits .9 Ultralight & Watertight Medical Kit w/Medicine and vitamins

Adventure Medical Kits Pocket Survival Pack

2 oz. Bottle of Rubbing Alcohol

2 oz. Bottle of Hand Sanitizer

Bottle of Liquid Skin

Space Blanket

Toe Nail Clipper

UCO Storm Proof Match Kit

Bath 12.9 oz.

4 oz. Al Terrain Wonder Wash Unscented

Baking Soda for Toothpaste

Packtowl Nano Towel Med.

Toilet Paper

Toothbrush

Guide Books/Maps 8 oz.

AT Guide Book Loose Leaf

AT Thru-Hikers Companion

ATC Guide Book and Map Set

Kitchen 46.9 oz.

Bic Lighter

4 oz. Bottle of Cooking Oil

GSI H2JO Water Bottle Drip Coffee and Tea Maker

MSR Alpine Salt and Pepper Shaker

MSR Superfly Stove

Nalgene Wide Mouth 32 oz Bottle for Coffee and Bean Soaking

Platypus 2 liter Water Bottle (Possible backup for Sawyer Filter)

Platypus Big Zip SL 2 L Reservoir

Sawyer Squeeze Water Filter Plus

Sawyer Fast Fill Hydration Pack Adapter Kit

Sea to Summit Alpha Light Knife, Fork, and Spoon

Snow Peak Mini Solo Titanium Cook-set (I am getting both so i can see which one I like better)

Snow Peak Trek 1400 Titanium Cook-set

Usus Ultralight Bear Bag w/ 50ft. Rope

Misc. 24.9 oz.

Black Diamond Carabiners

Black Diamond Storm Headlamp

Casio Pathfinder Watch

Cotton Bandannas

Fujifilm Camera

Leatherman Style Pocket Knife

LEKI Corklite Trekking Poles

REI 3 Ditty Bag Set

Rite in the Rain Journal (Trail Journal)

Rite in the Rain Journal (Photo Journal)

Cell Phone and Charger

Silva Ranger 515 Compass

Clothing 114.3 oz. Cold weather 85.8 oz. Warm weather

Campmor Long Sleeve Adventure Shirt (Wearing 1)

Coldpruf Mid-weight Underwear Crew Shirt

Coldpruf Mid-weight Underwear Pants

Darn Tough Wool Socks (Wearing 1 Sleeping 1)

Ex-official Boxer Briefs (Wearing 1)

Frog Toggs Bucket Hat

Frog Toggs DriDucks Dura-Lite 3 Rain Suit

Pair Leather Gloves

Marmot Zeus Down Insulated Jacket

Merrell Moab Ventilator Mid Day Hiking Boots

Outdoor Research Bug out Gaiters

Outdoor Research Balaclava

Patagonia Adze Soft Shell Jacket

REI Convertible Pants (Wearing 1)

Russell Dri-Power T-Shirt

Sea to Summit Mosquito Head Net

Superfeet Orange Insoles

ThermaSilk Silk Underwear Crew Shirt (Sleeping Cloths)

ThermaSilk Silk Underwear Pants (Sleeping Clothes)

ThermaSilk Quick Dry Liner Socks (Wearing 1)

Sleeping 53.6 oz cold weather 40.6 warm weather

Marmot Helium 15 Degree Down Sleeping Bag

Marmot Atom 40 Degree Down Sleeping Bag

Thermarest NeoAir Xlite Mattress

Thermarest NeoAir Pump Sack (Doubles as a Stuff Sack)

Sea to Summit Premium Silk Mummy Liiner w/Box Foot

Tent 38.4 oz.

18 inch Carbon Fiber Strut

MSR Groundhog Stakes

Tarptent Contrail

Tyvek Ground Cloth

Pack 69 oz.

ULA Catalyst Backpack

ULA Pack Cover

PacSafe 55 Security Web

q-tip
08-20-2013, 09:20
If you are interested, I have a complete gear list that includes virtually everything you have/need that is 10 lbs. lighter-PM me if interested....

BuckeyeBill
08-20-2013, 11:18
If you are interested, I have a complete gear list that includes virtually everything you have/need that is 10 lbs. lighter-PM me if interested....

I asked you for it and you answered, but the list never came through. if you would try again please.

Turk6177
08-20-2013, 14:45
Your list looks pretty good. I would can the pack cover and use a trash compactor or contractors trash bag 3 mil thick to put all your stuff in inside your pack. I like two mini bic lighters in lieu of the one lighter in case one of them gets wet. I like two pairs hiking socks that you can rotate and one pair for sleeping. I think you will only need one bandana. I like to pack a shamwow type towel cut down to help dry wet gear when packing up. They weigh next to nothing when cut down. I got mine in the car wash section of Walmart. I am not a big fan of the nalgene bottle. I would just bring instant coffee and save the weight. This is all splitting hairs. I think in a matter of weeks you will toss what you don't need and keep/add what you do. I always recommend Andrew Skurka's book the Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide for your reading pleasure. I don't do everything he says to do, but it gives you a lot of knowledge in your tool box to pull out later or to help you make decision. Have a great hike.

BigEnso
08-20-2013, 15:14

Any chance I could get a copy? Planning for the AT in 2014 and always looking for ideas to lighten my load.

David

max patch
08-20-2013, 16:02
I rarely respond to gear lists because they make my eyes hurt, but a couple things really stick out to me.

1. I don't know how a first aid kit can weigh 2 pounds. Way too heavy.
2. You need an AT Guide or the Companion. Not both.
3. You don't need the ATC Guidebook (and I'm speaking as someone who carried them on my thru). You just need the maps.
4. You don't need the Pac Safe Security Web.

Drybones
08-20-2013, 17:33
Unless youre really accident prone, I'd revisit that first aid kit, it weighs more than your tent. Remember, you have an opportunity to buy supplies every few days, if you're lucky you'd carry that 2 lbs from GA to ME and never use it.

BuckeyeBill
08-20-2013, 18:55
Your list looks pretty good. I would can the pack cover and use a trash compactor or contractors trash bag 3 mil thick to put all your stuff in inside your pack. I like two mini bic lighters in lieu of the one lighter in case one of them gets wet. I like two pairs hiking socks that you can rotate and one pair for sleeping. I think you will only need one bandana. I like to pack a shamwow type towel cut down to help dry wet gear when packing up. They weigh next to nothing when cut down. I got mine in the car wash section of Walmart. I am not a big fan of the nalgene bottle. I would just bring instant coffee and save the weight. This is all splitting hairs. I think in a matter of weeks you will toss what you don't need and keep/add what you do. I always recommend Andrew Skurka's book the Ultimate Hiker's Gear Guide for your reading pleasure. I don't do everything he says to do, but it gives you a lot of knowledge in your tool box to pull out later or to help you make decision. Have a great hike.

Thanks Turk,
I am considering your compactor bag suggestion as well as your mini bic idea. I use bandanas as wash clothes and dish clothes. The nano towel will be cut down for two pieces one for wet gear one for washing. I absolutely hate instant coffee and will wnat to cook ham and beans. I need the Nalgene for both. I have read Skurka's book twice and got several ideas from it. Thanks again.

BuckeyeBill
08-20-2013, 19:04
Unless youre really accident prone, I'd revisit that first aid kit, it weighs more than your tent. Remember, you have an opportunity to buy supplies every few days, if you're lucky you'd carry that 2 lbs from GA to ME and never use it.

Thanks DB

It sounds heavy until you look at everything I have to carry. I suffer from Chron's Disease and take 8 meds twice a day to control it along with a daily vitamin. It also contains a small survival kit that I always carry on my person along with a space blanket. So the 31 oz is actually a first aid kit, survival pack and medicine chest all in one, for and average of 10 oz. each which isn't that bad.

Don H
08-20-2013, 20:13
Depends on where you're going and when.

I suggest searching for gear lists, there's lots here. That will give you an idea of what you need.

To me it looks like you're carrying way too much. If you're starting at Springer for a thru-hike next spring then Mountain Crossing will do a gear shakedown for you there on day 3 or 4.

MuddyWaters
08-20-2013, 20:38
I think you have a lot of crap you dont need.

BuckeyeBill
08-20-2013, 21:31
I think you have a lot of crap you dont need.

Please expand on your answer.

BuckeyeBill
08-21-2013, 02:01
Someone asked where and when. I am planning a thru hike starting mid March or April 1.

BuckeyeBill
08-21-2013, 02:11
Someone asked where and when. Planning a AT thru hike starting mid March or April 1.

Don H
08-21-2013, 09:24
Here's what I started with in mid March in 2011.
Since then there's some items I've changed/upgraded.
The trash bag liner leaked. I now use Sea to Summit UL dry bays for clothes and sleeping bag.
Upgraded the sleeping pad to a Neoair X Therm
(Sometimes these copy and past posts loose their format)

OZ. ITEM
51 Pack – Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone w. trash bag liner
27 Tent – Six Moon Lunar Solo with ground cloth
33 Sleeping Bag - Feathered Fiends Swallow 20*
17 Sleeping Pad - Thermarest Neo, regular w. ¼” foam
02 Bear Bagging/Food Storage - Granite Gear Airbag #2 w. cord
06 Stove/Cooking - alcohol stove, Ti cup, spoon, fuel bottle etc.
05 Water Storage – 2- 1.8L Platy with 1 hose
03 Water Treatment – Aquamira 2 oz. size
12 Rain wear - DriDucks, pants and jacket
02 Repair Kit
03 First Aid, Bandaids, Neosporin, etc.
03 Head Lamp – Petzel Tikka
06 Camera
06 Cell Phone with charger
03 A.T. Guidebook (part)

Clothes, packed:
03 1 pair underwear,
05 2 pair Smartwool socks
04 Wind Shirt, Patagonia Houdini
08 Thermal bottoms, Capiline3
07 Thermal top, Capiline 3
13 Jacket, Patagonia Down Sweater
11 Crocs
02 Knit cap
02 Gloves
BASE WT. 221 oz. or 13.8 lbs

Items worn:
03 1 pair underwear
07 Long sleeve, Smartwool light-weight crew
03 Socks, Smartwool
03 Ball Cap
01 Money, credit card, med card
02 Watch,
02 Knife, Leatherman Squirt
29 Shoes, Brook Adrenalin with Super Feet insoles
19 Hiking Poles, Black Diamond
WORN GEAR WT. 69 oz. or 4.4 lbs.

TOTAL DRY GEAR WEIGHT 290 oz. or 18.1 lbs.
Excludes consumables.

treesloth
08-21-2013, 09:36
Someone asked where and when. Planning a AT thru hike starting mid March or April 1.

You've got the whole winter to whittle that pack weight down some and rid yourself of unneeded extras. As max patch said, 2# for a med kit is a bit extreme - mine (with blister treatment/prevention included) weighs three ounces. Things like 3 bandannas, 2 convertible pants, ¼ pound of rubbing alcohol/hand sanitizer are a bit redundant. Better to put that stuff aside now and have it for the future, than have to throw it into a hiker box because you're sick of carrying it. :-)

Siestita
08-21-2013, 20:31
At 47 oz. your "Kitchen" is 36 oz.heavier than mine is. I get by fine using Aqua Mira drops instead of a filter, a very simple and light weight alcohol stove, a one quart/liter sized aluminum cooking pot with a homemade aluminum foil lid, and an aluminum cup. Outdoor retailers sometimes improve their bottom lines by selling solo long distance hikers "cook sets" that are larger and heavier than necessary. Before wising up, I unnecessarily carried such a cook set with me for years.

Whether using your butane stove is weight efficient on not will depend on whether or not you carry along a burdensome spare canister.

Bucho
08-24-2013, 20:33
Thanks DB

It sounds heavy until you look at everything I have to carry. I suffer from Chron's Disease and take 8 meds twice a day to control it along with a daily vitamin. It also contains a small survival kit that I always carry on my person along with a space blanket. So the 31 oz is actually a first aid kit, survival pack and medicine chest all in one, for and average of 10 oz. each which isn't that bad.

10oz a piece is that bad, 10oz total isn't good. That "ultra light" first aid kit isn't ultralight, you should dump most of it and the space blanket. Also cut back on the redundant clothing and the redundant guide books.

MuddyWaters
08-25-2013, 09:36
Please expand on your answer.

deleted my post

quasarr
08-25-2013, 12:28
- Your Adventure Medical Kits .9 Ultralight & Watertight Medical Kit sounds like it is probably quite heavy. I would examine the contents and get rid of some stuff. Of course you have to bring your meds, but this kit seems excessive to me.

- you don't need rubbing alcohol if you have hand sanitizer

- 4oz of washing soap, this is excessive! I would ditch the soap, it's cold in March and likely you won't feel like taking a bath on trail. Or just bring 1oz and refill in town.

- agreed with others that you have too many guide books

- salt n pepper shakers, leave behind. Most backpacking food is very salty anyway and you don't need to add more

-agree that you can switch to aqua Mira to save some weight

- REI ditty bags.... Switch to ziplock freezer bags for a waterproof and lightweight alternative

- you probably don't need 2 different journals. I also think the write in rain isn't necessary, just use a lightweight small notebook from Office Depot and keep it in a ziplock freezer bag to keep it dry

- clothes... You sure have a lot of clothes! Especially shirts. You only need one shirt to hike in and one to sleep in. Wear your jacket if its cold while hiking. Same with pants, one to hike in and one to sleep in, that's it!

-don't the Frog Toggs have a hood? If you have a hood, IMO you don't also need a rain hat.

- Pacsafe security web, totally unnecessary. Your pack will be in your possession 99.9% of the time! And leaving it unattended outside a store for a few minutes is not a big risk. Or just ask another hiker to watch it, or ask the store if you can put it behind the counter while you shop, etc

- agree that you only need 1 bandana. You can use the same one to wash your cook pot and yourself. Add in the nano towel and you have 4 wash cloths! Is that really necessary?

Anyway these are just my opinions but you did ask for them! Happy trails! :)

Slo-go'en
08-25-2013, 14:17
I suffer from Chron's Disease and take 8 meds twice a day to control it along with a daily vitamin.

Yikes. I had to google your aliment to find out what it is and your brave to take on a thru-hike with this condition. If you have to take that many meds to control it, you must have it bad.

It sounds like you will need to take water purification very seriously, both filter and chemical treatment to be sure. Just a guess, but drinking coffee probably isn't the best thing for you to be doing. But then, I'm one of those rare people who can't stand the smell, taste or effects of coffee (but not of caffine)

As far as gear, looks like you got about 25 pounds of stuff, which isn't too crazy, but with a little work you should be able to pare it down to under 20. I would suggest an April start rather then March as an April start will let you skimp a little on warm clothes and such.

BuckeyeBill
08-25-2013, 17:22
Thanks Everyone. I am definitely taking everyone's suggestion seriously, except for the one that say you are carrying too much crap without telling me what to cut.

Slo I am seriously considering a sawyer purifier or a sawyer filter and aqua mira. I will have some people saying you don't need both but I see you did some checking first.