PDA

View Full Version : Blue Moon Tonight

TD55
08-20-2013, 21:00
Noticed this awsome moon coming up over the ocean this evening. Looked up what was going on and discovered tonight is a rare night. Won't be another till 2015. It changed from blue to being yellow now. Hope some of you see this in time to watch it from wherever you are.

Storm
08-20-2013, 22:47
Moon was never blue, all blue moon means is that it is the second full moon of the month. Happens very rarely, hence the old saying "Once in a blue moon."

Different Socks
08-20-2013, 22:58
Moon was never blue, all blue moon means is that it is the second full moon of the month. Happens very rarely, hence the old saying "Once in a blue moon."

Just to be clear about this: there was no other full moon this month. Last full moon was in 3rd week of July.

Hill Ape
08-20-2013, 23:16
To be clear, it's the second full moon in a solar month, not calender month. And it has nothing to do with color. It is a belewe moon, the word has been perverted over time. It means betrayer

TD55
08-20-2013, 23:18
Figures here at WB someone will challange anything, like we need some non-expert opinion on the simplest things. Storm, you are wrong, as Different Socks said, this is the first full moon in August. The blue moon is rare and you can look it up yourselves cause I don't feel like an arguement over a cool moon. Tonites full moon came out low over the ocean. I was about two miles out. It did have a blue tint and turned a redish and finaly a yellow color before going normal white, all caused by whatever was in the atmosphere at the time of it's rising. I just wanted to tell everyone there was a nice moon out and an official blue moon. Don't know what shades of color it might have been any place else in the world. I love sunrises and moonrises over the ocean, that is why I live at the beach. And fishin' is usualy good when there is a full moon.

moytoy
08-20-2013, 23:27
Us old men get cranky with a full moon whatever color it is. I new there was something wrong with me today. Blue moon be gone.

TD55
08-20-2013, 23:34
Well I guess I'm cranky and crazy, but if you look at the "face", or craters of any full moon, they sometimes have a blueish tint. They did tonite. The coincidence of the atmosphere tonite, the blue tint of the craters and the fact that it is an official blue moon was a rare event. Otherwise I wouldn't have posted.

Different Socks
08-20-2013, 23:51
TD where did you see that full moon? I am only asking b/c the full moon is supposedto be tomorrow night.

Shutterbug
08-20-2013, 23:53
Just to be clear about this: there was no other full moon this month. Last full moon was in 3rd week of July. The alternative definition of a "blue moon" is the third full moon in a season with four full moons. Tonight's moon is a "blue moon" under the alternative definition. How do I know? I Googled it.

moytoy
08-21-2013, 00:00
actually td55 I was making fun of all of us posting on this full moon subject. Except for hill ape we are all 50 or over, mostly over. And I'm not so sure about hill ape. I had two Aunts who lived in Ellijay and I don't remember anybody in that fair town being under 60:D

atmilkman
08-21-2013, 00:04
Us old men get cranky with a full moon whatever color it is. I new there was something wrong with me today. Blue moon be gone.
I could tell by the way the cat was acting somethin' was up.

BirdBrain
08-21-2013, 00:27
Count me in on the cranky group. Storm is not wrong. There are at least 2 types of Blue Moons and neither have anything to do with the color. Storm is obviously referring to the modern definition. The OP is referring to the seasonal Blue Moon. The OP is not wrong either. Sorry if I sound cranky, but you are wrong to call Storm wrong.

Wise Old Owl
08-21-2013, 00:46
Not cranky but I remembered this weird fact from Astronomy class at College

The phrase “once in a blue moon” traditionally refers to an impossible event or an event that rarely happens. The term “ blue moon” has its roots in the Old English word belewe or “betrayer” because an extra full moon before Lent was viewed as a “betrayer moon.” Scholars believe that belewe eventually morphed into the word blue. In the mid-twentieth century, the Farmer’s Almanac by Sky and Telescope magazine mistakenly defined a blue moon as a second full moon in a calendar month. The moon can actually appear blue if there are particles in the air that are larger than red light wavelength (.7 micron), which can occur during volcanic eruptions or forest fires.d

Which is rare today as pollution prevents most events.

Hense why many folks have never seen a blue moon and yes Storm I saw your post, I had a old professor who did see them regularly as a child.

atmilkman
08-21-2013, 01:00
First blue moon I've seen in a coon's age.

slow mind
08-21-2013, 03:30
come on.... if one of you takes my milk thats it.... I'll lose it.

Chaco Taco
08-21-2013, 06:59
Saw the moon rise and it was impressive. I also love the sunrise after a full moon.

coach lou
08-21-2013, 08:02
In southern Connecticut it was Orange, on the horizon @ dusk, lighter but still tinged thru the nite, then reddish, on the western horizon, still in the morning.:sun

moytoy
08-21-2013, 08:03
https://sphotos-b-atl.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1146628_10200423546127776_975254147_n.jpg
Blue Moon from Florida

TD55
08-21-2013, 09:20
:rolleyes:I did a painting once of a lighthouse, beach, ocean and sunrise with purple clouds. A friend who served in the Navy liked it alot, but said he had been all around the world and never seen purple clouds and wouldn't hang a drug influenced painting in his house. About a year later he came by and bought the painting because he finaly saw purple clouds one morning. The paintings I have done of a couple on the beach with a blue moon in a black star studded sky always sell fast. So, blue moons do exist.

Ktaadn
08-21-2013, 10:40
I saw the moon last night. It came up while the sun was still up. I'm color blind.

Drybones
08-21-2013, 13:00
Just thinkin, a solitairy spot with a great view, a blue moon, and a six pack of Blue Moon, would be a good way to spend a night.

BirdBrain
08-21-2013, 14:03
The alternative definition of a "blue moon" is the third full moon in a season with four full moons. Tonight's moon is a "blue moon" under the alternative definition. How do I know? I Googled it.

Learn something old every day. Glad for the info. The alternative was the original. The modern is a not the original. Either way the color has nothing to do with the name.

Shutterbug
08-21-2013, 14:31
Noticed this awsome moon coming up over the ocean this evening. Looked up what was going on and discovered tonight is a rare night. Won't be another till 2015. It changed from blue to being yellow now. Hope some of you see this in time to watch it from wherever you are.This is how it looked from my back yard.

coach lou
08-21-2013, 14:49
23600 A quickie from our Salt Marsh last nite. I will try to get a better one tonite on my bike ride down by the Seawall.