PDA

View Full Version : ULA OHM 2.0 vs ULA Circuit

Wmwood2001
08-20-2013, 23:45
I've narrowed my pack search down to these two. My base weight for winter with tent and all is at 13.21 lbs and with 2 liter of water at 17.61 lbs. Based on this weight am I a good candidate for the OHM 2.0?
Which pack is more comfortable?
Which Pack do you guys prefer and why???
Draw string vs Dry Sack like roll down??

My early thoughts r circuit with mods including adding side pockets of OHM 2.0 and elastic back of OHM 2.0 and draw string closure.

What is everyone's thoughts?

blue indian
08-21-2013, 07:23
Depends on how much space you want.
Also the frame/suspensions are different so I would suggest reading more about that. There are plenty of reviews in cyberspace about both these packs. I had the circuit and didn't like the single stay going down the middle of my back.

Oh and good luck tryin to get custom mods done..

Coffee
08-21-2013, 08:24
I have been very happy with the Circuit with a base weight of around 15 pounds and total weight ranging from 22-33 pounds. I'm using the Circuit on my John Muir Trail hike starting early next week. I originally purchased a Catalyst which I soon discovered was a bit too large for local trips. I debated keeping the Catalyst for the JMT and buying an Ohm 2.0 for local trips but decided to sell the Catalyst and buy the Circuit instead as an all around pack. I've been happy with it so far on trips ranging from quick overnighters to several days in the Grand Canyon and I'm confident that it will work well on the JMT as well.

From what I have read, the Ohm 2.0 works best with loads in the low 20s to 25 pounds.

Rasty
08-21-2013, 08:31
I did the same mental exercise with the Circuit vs OHM 2. I purchased the Circuit as a year round pack. It works well with 20 to 30 pounds total weight. If I was doing this again I would get the drawstring closure for the top instead. My next pack is going to be a CDT for summer trips.

Seatbelt
08-21-2013, 13:41
I did the same mental exercise with the Circuit vs OHM 2. I purchased the Circuit as a year round pack. It works well with 20 to 30 pounds total weight. If I was doing this again I would the drawstring closure for the top instead. My next pack is going to be a CDT for summer trips.
Hey Rasty, what word did you leave out about the drawstring? Clip, shorten, tie-off or ?? Reason: I just bought a Circuit this summer and have been doing some minor changes to the straps and draws, they seem to be too long for my taste/use. Just curious if someone else has had experience with this on this pack.

Rasty
08-21-2013, 13:54
Hey Rasty, what word did you leave out about the drawstring? Clip, shorten, tie-off or ?? Reason: I just bought a Circuit this summer and have been doing some minor changes to the straps and draws, they seem to be too long for my taste/use. Just curious if someone else has had experience with this on this pack.

I left out the word "get"

Seatbelt
08-21-2013, 14:11
I left out the word "get" Thanks! I had the wife shorten a couple of mine--they flop around in my face.

MuddyWaters
08-21-2013, 19:30
If you are that heavy you really should use the circuit.

The stay in the back that keeps it shaped to your back is worth it at higher weights.

The ohm is best packed LOOSELY with light loads, even with the belt on the 2.0. Its a semi-framed pack that must conform to your back to be comfortable. If you just jam a bunch of stuff in there and it takes on whatever shape, it wont be nearly as comfortable as a circuit.

I have an ohm 1.0, and have owned 3 circuits, and used them both with and without stays. The stays are always worth the small weight penalty.

bigcranky
08-21-2013, 19:58
Sub-20 was very comfortable in my original Ohm. The 2.0 version should be even better with the larger hip belt.

I really liked the front pocket and the drawstring closure from the Ohm, so when I had the opportunity to order a Circuit in a custom color, I had those installed as options. But my cold weather weights are more like 30 pounds and the Circuit carries those better.

Wmwood2001
09-25-2013, 21:28
Ended up going with a totally different pack. Below is my overview. Anyone use this pack?? Leave comments on here or on link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BdrJOZDvqs

Dogwood
09-26-2013, 13:28
I think it comes down to dialing in your load in regards to wt and volume of it.