PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning out the bookshelf...

Megabite
08-05-2005, 22:21
ive got a like-new copy of "The Appalachian Trail, how to prepare for and hike it" by Jan D. Curran sitting here, and i dont really need it anymore.... anyone interested? nothing groundbreaking in the book, but its a good read.

Id part with it for a crips $5 bill - anyone want it?

-- Megabite

Sleepy the Arab
08-08-2005, 22:56
A crips $5 bill? I'm not into the gang thing, and I don't think The Bills are either.

Jack Tarlin
08-09-2005, 16:37
With all due respect, Mega, I think that for that particular volume, you're asking about $4.98 too much.

MOWGLI
08-09-2005, 17:02
With all due respect, Mega, I think that for that particular volume, you're asking about $4.98 too much.

Where's your .02 Jack? I've been hearing about an alleged planning book by you for at least 3 years now.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2005, 17:03
Too many "planning" books already.

weary
08-09-2005, 17:34
Too many "planning" books already.
I met an editor for one of the major publishers on the trail in 1993. When I asked him if there was a market for another AT book, he assured me "no way. There are far too many AT books out there already. "

Then a couple of years later Bill Bryson converted a failed thru hike into more AT sales than all the prvious books combined.

Weary

A-Train
08-09-2005, 18:28
I read the Curran book before my hike along with tons of others. Frankly I really don't think there are many great, or even good reads about thru-hiking out there, even considering the high number of publications. You either have the Bryson book which was really well written, but not accurate or portaying an end-to-end hike, or most of the books, which are pretty accurate, but mostly read like boring journals and are poorly written.

Lone Wolf
08-09-2005, 18:34
I totally agree with A-Train. No "how to" books are needed.

SGT Rock
08-09-2005, 18:56
I totally agree with A-Train. No "how to" books are needed.
Yes, all you need is a free membership to WhiteBlaze, and a good sense of humor.

Jack Tarlin
08-09-2005, 19:09
Mowgli: Most of my .02 is right here at Whiteblaze, and it saves people the cost of a book!

This might change someday in the future, but right now, my comments and suggestions are free, and people can do with them what they wish.

TakeABreak
08-10-2005, 06:00
Donate the book to the local public library and take a tax deduction next for it's face value.

Megabite
08-12-2005, 11:25
anyone want the book at all? first email gets it: [email protected] - id rather it go to an aspiring hiker...

-- megabite

ive got a like-new copy of "The Appalachian Trail, how to prepare for and hike it" by Jan D. Curran sitting here, and i dont really need it anymore.... anyone interested? nothing groundbreaking in the book, but its a good read.

Id part with it for a crips $5 bill - anyone want it?

-- Megabite