PDA

View Full Version : How to get from Port Authority to Lakes Road in Monroe, NY

Joker4ink
08-21-2013, 08:26
What is the best way to get from the Port Authority to Lakes Road in Monroe, NY? I'm looking to go this weekend. Also, do you know any good place near the Port Authority to park without spending multiple hundreds of dollars? Thank you, Steve

A.T.Lt
08-21-2013, 08:45
Cross the Hudson on NJ transit or PATH and take Metro North Port Jervis Line to Harriman station.. its a short drive from station

tdoczi
08-21-2013, 09:21
the NJ transit bus to greenwood lake probably gets you closer to lakes road (via the trail) than the train station in harriman. cheap parking in midtown NYC is an oxymoron. park in NJ someplace since that seems to be on your route anyway.

Another Kevin
08-21-2013, 12:53
the NJ transit bus to greenwood lake probably gets you closer to lakes road (via the trail) than the train station in harriman. cheap parking in midtown NYC is an oxymoron. park in NJ someplace since that seems to be on your route anyway.

If you have a car available and you're not going at rush hour, you'll probably make better time driving up there. Get out of Manhattan on the GW and get on the Palisades.

tdoczi
08-21-2013, 13:41
If you have a car available and you're not going at rush hour, you'll probably make better time driving up there. Get out of Manhattan on the GW and get on the Palisades.

i was guessing the OP was intending some sort of loop involving mass transit, so the bus or train is going to come into it at some point, but in NYC is most definitely not where i'd leave the car.

hikerboy57
08-21-2013, 13:56
why drive into the city at all? if you can park in manhatten its gonna cost big bucks, you could take metro north into nyc and take short line bus from there.

Joker4ink
08-21-2013, 17:34
Thanks for the responses. I should have clarified my original post too. I figured that if I park at/around the Port Authority, when I section to DWG, I can just take the bus back to the Port Authority and drive home. I figured a secure lot would be better than leaving my car on the side of the road for 6 days. However the Port Authority is over an hour away.

tdoczi
08-21-2013, 20:23
Thanks for the responses. I should have clarified my original post too. I figured that if I park at/around the Port Authority, when I section to DWG, I can just take the bus back to the Port Authority and drive home. I figured a secure lot would be better than leaving my car on the side of the road for 6 days. However the Port Authority is over an hour away.

secure sure, but also big money. im certain you can find a secure place in DWG though I have no personal experience to speak of in that area. in either event the logical stopping/starting point in NY state if youre using mass transit in that area is either 17 or 17A, why did you pick lakes road? from lakes road to either of those locations is only a handful of miles.

Another Kevin
08-21-2013, 21:13
Or do the section NOBO - spot the car in the long-term lot at the Tuxedo train station, and walk out on the R-D trail once you get to Harriman. (That's right on 17, in any case).

Joker4ink
08-22-2013, 08:26
I left off at Lakes as I try to complete NY southbound; I was hoping to continue on south. I guess if I can go from the Port Authority, transfer at Hoboken to get to the Tuxedo stop, I can try to hitch over to Lakes.

tdoczi
08-22-2013, 09:25
I left off at Lakes as I try to complete NY southbound; I was hoping to continue on south. I guess if I can go from the Port Authority, transfer at Hoboken to get to the Tuxedo stop, I can try to hitch over to Lakes.

not looking to reopen an old argument, but most people say hitching is illegal in NY. thatd be a weird hitch in either event as most traffic on 17 isnt turning off on the windy state park land road that crosses the mountain into the next valley. i think the hitch up from greenwood lake would probably be easier, and since you still seem set on port authority as your origin itd make the mass transit end of it more straight forward also.

personally id just rehike the few miles from route 17 to lakes road. thats also where id leave my car. assuming youre coming from CT itd also be the shortest drive.