PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer

tucker0104
08-21-2013, 14:34
I wanted to get people's opinion who have owned the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. Do you like it? Is it as light as it says? Is it warm? How would you compare it to other down jackets you have owned?

tucker0104
08-21-2013, 14:36
I have owned a Montbell Alpine before and loved it. Just wondering if this one blows it away. One of the main reasons I wear a coat is in camp.

blue indian
08-22-2013, 13:02
Check out the golite selkirk down jacket. Weighs 6oz. Reasonably priced, although I got mine on sale.

Honesty, it might be too lite! I need some cooler weather before I will know if it's a winner or not. Still worth looking at.

redseal
08-22-2013, 20:47
I like my jacket. I have not used it much yet, but it certainly is light and keeps me warm enough. Moosejaw was having a sale earlier this month. I picked it up for $150.

treesloth
08-23-2013, 13:47
Check out the golite selkirk down jacket. Weighs 6oz. Reasonably priced, although I got mine on sale.

Honesty, it might be too lite! I need some cooler weather before I will know if it's a winner or not. Still worth looking at.

Thanks for the tip. I finally found some stuff on GoLite's site that's not sold out or otherwise unavailable. Comparing the Selkirk to the Montbell Ex Light, the Selkirk looks like more of a winner in all but color choices. :) The Selkirk is just a half an ounce heavier (probably due 800 vs 900FP), but $60 cheaper AND has pockets. I may have to go and pull the trigger on this one.

CB1821
08-23-2013, 14:21
I have the Mountain Hardwear Ghost Whisperer. Great weight at 7 oz (on my scale for a large) and kept me way warm down around 38 degrees one spring morning on the GA AT (with L/S shirt under and Marmot Essence rain jacket over it). I haven’t had an opportunity to see if it is comfortable/warm at lower temperatures yet, though.
FWIW, my sister, a Maine resident, uses a Patagonia Nano Puff Jacket for backpacking and swears by it. On the plus side, it is listing on dale for $99 at REI right now (and the pull over is even cheaper) and it gets great reviews – 4.8 out of 5. On the down side, REI has it coming in at 12 oz and it has PrimaLoft One polyester fibers for insulation, not down (if that is an issue). Might be worth considering…….

tucker0104
08-23-2013, 14:54
I think I am going to go with another Montbell Alpine Light.

blue indian
08-23-2013, 15:38
Thanks for the tip. I finally found some stuff on GoLite's site that's not sold out or otherwise unavailable. Comparing the Selkirk to the Montbell Ex Light, the Selkirk looks like more of a winner in all but color choices. :) The Selkirk is just a half an ounce heavier (probably due 800 vs 900FP), but $60 cheaper AND has pockets. I may have to go and pull the trigger on this one.

The blue isnt bad at all. Thats the color I got. Its so much lighter than my other insulating layer (arcteryx cardigan) that Im afraid it wont be warm enough, even when using in my layering system...but its a pretty awesome jacket

saber
08-23-2013, 19:28
The Mountain Hardwear Ghost whisperer (blue) was the jacket I used for my AT Thru-Hike this year, it kept me warm when the temperature was about 15 degrees in the Great Smokies. I wore the jacket almost every evening and morning and slept with it on a few nights when the temp drop below my summer bag rating. The jacket is very light, warm and durable( no rips ,tears,or lost of insulation), plus pack-away inside a pocket. The only negative is after the first wash the some of the Down around the sleeves and a couple back panels didn't fluff out all the way after it was dried. The fix is to use an air fluff dryer to blow out the lumps.

tucker0104
08-26-2013, 18:18
So torn. I did love my Montbell but the ghost whisperer is a little lighter.

AliciaG
09-19-2013, 14:08

I've got both the Mountain hardwear ghost whisperer down jacket and light shell, and love them both. They are extremely light. The down jacket is incredibly warm, I think it's 800 down fill. The shell is amazing and fits in my pocket, it weighs less than 2 ounces.
Moosejaw has a coupon out now - it's only good until Sept 22, but it's pretty good - 15% off ...
http://bc25.com/moosejaw-exclusive-coupon/

jeffmeh
09-19-2013, 14:11
The Mountain Hardwear Ghost whisperer (blue) was the jacket I used for my AT Thru-Hike this year, it kept me warm when the temperature was about 15 degrees in the Great Smokies. I wore the jacket almost every evening and morning and slept with it on a few nights when the temp drop below my summer bag rating. The jacket is very light, warm and durable( no rips ,tears,or lost of insulation), plus pack-away inside a pocket. The only negative is after the first wash the some of the Down around the sleeves and a couple back panels didn't fluff out all the way after it was dried. The fix is to use an air fluff dryer to blow out the lumps.

Throw a couple of tennis balls in the dryer with it and it will speed the process. :)

jeffmeh
09-19-2013, 14:27

What size are you looking for? If XL, and not picky about colors, this a great price on a Montbell EX Light. Very light and warm for the weight, and an absolutely outstanding piece of gear. http://www.departmentofgoods.com/montbell-ex-light-down-jacket-mens (http://www.departmentofgoods.com/montbell-ex-light-down-jacket-mens)