PDA

View Full Version : I am using this as a food cannister. No lie.

Omaha_Ace
08-22-2013, 14:45
The one on the right with the black screw-on top: http://www.utzsnacks.com/products/partypubmix.html

I'm going to use it in the Smokies in a couple of weeks - I'm more concerned with mice chewing through my nice drybags than a bear getting into anything given the cable system they have there. My maths put it at about 12L and the plastic is pretty sturdy. Not Lexan tough, but a hell of a lot lighter than a bearvault, and the best part - FREE!!!

BirdBrain
08-22-2013, 14:49
The one on the right with the black screw-on top: http://www.utzsnacks.com/products/partypubmix.html

I'm going to use it in the Smokies in a couple of weeks - I'm more concerned with mice chewing through my nice drybags than a bear getting into anything given the cable system they have there. My maths put it at about 12L and the plastic is pretty sturdy. Not Lexan tough, but a hell of a lot lighter than a bearvault, and the best part - FREE!!!

I used the same exact one once. It seemed like a great idea. The container would always take up the same space in the pack and it would protect the items and it was light weight. It left my pack real quick. I opted for an airtight roll sack that I hang from a tree at night. You might have a different experience. For what it is worth, I understand your thinking.

RED-DOG
08-22-2013, 14:55
Looks great and that is a pretty good idea but how many days of FOOD can you stuff in one Remember it takes at least 5-6 days to get through the Park, are you going to have one for each day if so that would be a little heavy , bulky, I have hiked the Park several times and i never had problems with Mice getting into my Food. I would just go with a regular kind of Food bag, and use the Bear gables and hang it, you should have no problems with Mice.

Another Kevin
08-22-2013, 15:00

I had mice get into my kitchen cupboard once. That thin plastic jar won't stop them. (Unless you hang it, but then it's the hanging rig stopping them, not the jar...)

Omaha_Ace
08-22-2013, 15:13
I'm going S/B from Clingman and meeting a friend at Fontana to resupply before heading to the NOC. So I'd only need to pack 3 days food at any given time.

And mice are bastards - I know linking a couple of beeners from some 550 cord then clipping into the bear cables will slow them up, but it's impossible to expect to completely stop them except for a hardcore bear tube. The Utz container is more for water/crush proofing the food and for minor peace of mind with the mice - if I can make the food a little less easy to get at...

daddytwosticks
08-22-2013, 15:53
A few years ago I purchased an Ursak Minor (the ugly yellow color) and have never looked back. No more problems with rodents messing with my food. :)

mattyoc20
08-22-2013, 16:58
I don't see why that wouldn't work. If your not concerned with bears I say go for it

TheStu
08-29-2013, 01:12
Something related that I'd suggest is an odor proof bag (http://litetrail.com/shop/accessories/litetrail-nylobarrier-odor-proof-bag). Using just the odor proof bag and a stuff sack I've never had a problem. Much lighter than hard shell canisters too.

Marta
08-29-2013, 09:43
The cable system works well in the GSMNP, as long as there are no close overhanging branches. I did many trips there and always chose a hook as far as possible from branches. The rodents can jump a fair ways, but they can't truly fly.

Have a great hike!

Gray Blazer
08-29-2013, 09:53
Mountain Lion pee works for mice. New issues though.

HooKooDooKu
08-29-2013, 10:07
I've been told by a GSMNP frequent camper that he's watched a mouse climb the bear cable - no over-head branches required.

SouthMark
08-29-2013, 10:18
In 38 years I have never had a mouse get into my food. I have hiked the Smokies before the cable system an stayed in shelters north and south. Maybe I just do not carry mouse preferred food. I did have one eat the top out of my wool stocking cap in the Icewater Spring shelter, while I was wearing it. I'm a very sound sleeper. :)

Rain Man
08-29-2013, 10:24
I've been told by a GSMNP frequent camper that he's watched a mouse climb the bear cable - no over-head branches required.

And if not mice, then squirrels, including flying squirrels.

The one on the right with the black screw-on top: http://www.utzsnacks.com/products/partypubmix.html My maths put it at about 12L and the plastic is pretty sturdy. Not Lexan tough, but a hell of a lot lighter than a bearvault, and the best part - FREE!!!

We use one for storing spaghetti here at home. No way they hold 12 Liters, though, not the one we have.

In ten years of section hiking on the AT, I've had critters get in my food exactly once, and they just got in the M&Ms that time, nothing else. Had no problem at all "thru-hiking" the GSMNP.

Rain:sunMan

Drybones
08-29-2013, 18:02
I haven't heard mention of this type food bag on WB, but a hiker I spent some time with had a kevlar food bag, said it was mouseproof, he slept with his food under an open shelter.

daddytwosticks
08-29-2013, 19:53
I haven't heard mention of this type food bag on WB, but a hiker I spent some time with had a kevlar food bag, said it was mouseproof, he slept with his food under an open shelter.I believe that's what my Ursak Minor is made of. May be wrong, but it's highly rodent proof. :)

Old Grouse
08-30-2013, 12:09
Mountain Lion pee works for mice. New issues though.

You can use that Utz bottle to chase after them and lay in a supply!