PDA

View Full Version : Don't you just hate it when...

SGT Rock
08-06-2005, 09:51
Don't you just hate it when....(inset your's here)

SGT Rock
08-06-2005, 09:51
You plan a trip for a week and the morning you get up to go you are throwing up.

Air Head
08-06-2005, 10:28
... you plan a 24-hour movie-thon, and the day of, you get so sick to your stomach, you spend 3 hours on the crapper?

Yes, that's right, my friend and I planned to sit down and watch all 10 episodes of Band of Brothers and the extended versions of the ENTIRE Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Straight. No breaks. :)

PKH
08-06-2005, 10:43
after two solid weeks of fantastic weather forecasts, you see that bright red storm warning screen for your hiking area come up on the weather channel, just as you're going out the door.

Hate that.

PKH

Big Dawg
08-06-2005, 10:45
.... you take a bad fall on the trail, hurt your leg, & have to end your hike early.:(

wacocelt
08-06-2005, 11:05
... a section hiker starts every conversation with "Well Katz in Bryson's book...", and uses the phrase as a strong foundation for thier hiking expertise.

Just Jeff
08-06-2005, 11:10
...you get all snuggled up ready for bed and realize you still have to pee. It's cold outside and you spend 30 minutes trying to decide if you can hold it till morning.

Dances with Mice
08-06-2005, 11:21
You pack up in the morning and head out quickly and are making good time when you come to a landmark, like maybe a road, that you passed yesterday about 3 miles before your campsite?

Red Hat
08-06-2005, 11:24
you come home, want to talk about your hike, and everyone looks at you like you're crazy, then changes the subject...

bogey
08-06-2005, 12:06
... a section hiker starts every conversation with "Well Katz in Bryson's book...", and uses the phrase as a strong foundation for thier hiking expertise. lieutenant begins with, "it's been my experience....:p"

SGT Rock
08-06-2005, 12:09
lieutenant begins with, "it's been my experience....:p"
As I sit here trying to get to feeling better, ya'll are making it happen!:clap

There used to be a few sayings along those lines:

When the private says - in basic we did it this way.:mad:

When the buck sergeant says - It has always been done this way.:confused:

When the lieutenant says - in my experience.:eek:

I'm sure there was some more.

Keep 'em coming ya'll!:banana

wacocelt
08-06-2005, 12:13
... a NoBo looks at my wrapped up left foot/ankle and says "Theres NO WAT you can do Xinsert mountain/terrain featureX with a broken foot."

wacocelt
08-06-2005, 12:14
WAT = WAY by the way... dadgum no Edit feature... bleh!

bogey
08-06-2005, 12:20
Sgt ROCK, looks like you touched a nerve with this one. Pleasantly, of course.

Icicle
08-06-2005, 12:29
you come home, want to talk about your hike, and everyone looks at you like you're crazy, then changes the subject...
NO KIDDING! :(

...or you talk about "using a privy" or "water bladders" and all your audience does is giggle...

ATSeamstress
08-06-2005, 12:29
Non-hikers with little knowledge of the Appalachian trail say . . . "You do carry a pistol with you, don't you?"

titanium_hiker
08-06-2005, 12:41
someone starts a "don't you hate it when" thread? :D

when you are sleeping outside in the yard to coldtest the hammock, and some stupid tradition of burning incense the first friday of the month messes with your sinuses and forces you in

titanium

Lilred
08-06-2005, 12:44

You're about to put your foot down and notice the trail suddenly has the pattern of a copperhead.

MOWGLI
08-06-2005, 12:46
...someone says, "I was gonna stay out of this but.... and 5 paragraphs follow.

...someone says, "I could care less about so & so...." and then writes 5 paragraphs illustrating that they do care - deeply.

...someone says, "HYOH" and then goes on to define your hike and tell you why you're this, and why you're not that.

Well, the truth is, I don't "hate" these things. I find them more amusing or annoying (depending on my state of mind) than anything.

What I do hate is insecurity masquerading as a superiority complex.

TOW
08-06-2005, 13:29
you go to scratch your ear and the end of your finger comes out the other ear....

bogey
08-06-2005, 18:08
you go to scratch your ear and the end of your finger comes out the other ear....
No Kidding! I just HATE it when that happens!!!:D

Alligator
08-06-2005, 20:03
you're at the trailhead changing into your hiking clothes and you realize your boots are under your desk at home.

you're in the Mahoosuc Notch on a snowy winter evening, your headlamp is missing, and your backup light fails.

you notice that the mudpile you just stepped in was a cowpie.

you come back from getting water and a cow is licking your tent.

it dawns on you that instead of packing two 375 ml's for a week long trip, it was two 750's. (OK, that one was a bonus!)

Lone Wolf
08-06-2005, 20:06
...you go to fart and draw mud?

weary
08-06-2005, 20:54
When after no one shows up at a town land trust hike you are supposed to lead you recruit four family types to show for your guided hike two weeks later with a promise of lobster rolls for lunch.

Four indicate an interest, but eight show, walk 5 miles, and expect lobster after you've planned for four-- at $6 a pound. Even worse: 12 show up this time. There was no need of a lobster roll bribe.

Weary

Nightwalker
08-06-2005, 21:20
Non-hikers with little knowledge of the Appalachian trail say . . . "You do carry a pistol with you, don't you?"
Or cell-phone, lol.

:D

ShakeyLeggs
08-06-2005, 21:53
Travel many miles from home for the start of a nice long hike get into camp after an exhausting day start to set up the tent and realize you left the poles at home. (been there done that):eek:

titanium_hiker
08-06-2005, 22:15
go to set up the tent, can't find the pegs anywhere...

bigcat2
08-06-2005, 23:17
....plan on doing a GPS hike and sprain your ankle 2 days before while running a "safe route" and end up on crutches! :mad: :datz

TOW
08-07-2005, 00:04
....todays good news was yesterdays bad news..................

TOW
08-07-2005, 00:09
.......when your the only one on the job site before it is time to begin and everyone else comes in ten to fifteen minutes late, then laze around in their work all day, then take an hour and a half for lunch while you only take the thirty minutes that are allowed, then they get paid for the same amount of time that you actually worked and their wage scale is higher.....milking the boss for his time, i hate that.......

squirrel bait
08-07-2005, 02:29
An Ensign with an idea

or maybe a LTJG with a plan.

Tha Wookie
08-07-2005, 02:53
...you go to fart and draw mud?
<sides hurting>

I can't top that one.....:D ....so I'll just sit here and keep laughing

Tin Man
08-07-2005, 08:42
...you wake up in the shelter in the middle of the night to the sound of mice scurrying around, it suddenly goes silent, you turn on your lamp, and you are surrounded by mice with weapons drawn, and the lead varmit declares "cut down that food bag now mister, or I am going to shoot you where you lie!"

Doctari
08-07-2005, 10:54
Your non hiking "friends" say: YOU HIKE ALONE! OUT THERE!! BY YOURSELF!!! IN THE WILDERNESS, WITH ALL THOSE WIERDOS!!!!" :eek:

It is a quote, & they ALL say it as if they rehersed it together. I love the line "with all those wierdos" as I am usually the wierdest person they know :dance

Doctari.

SGT Rock
08-07-2005, 14:07
LOL! Great stuff! It got me to feeling better and I ended up getting out and doing about 8 hours of trail maintenance, some of it in the rain!

I got a new one.

You wake up in the night with you heart pounding because you heard a bear snorting in your camp, only to realize it was you snoring.

Cookerhiker
08-07-2005, 14:34
You stop for a break, tuck your socks over your pants, put your hood on, you cover 98% of your head and exposed skin ....and the black flies still find that 2% with uncanny lightening-speed and precision.

Tractor
08-07-2005, 14:46
.....you walk the hot blacktop mile into Catawba VA to treat yourself to a night at the B&B and the AYCE supper only to find both are closed that Wednesday. (however, the General Store does make a damn good cheeseburger..... :)

Cookerhiker
08-07-2005, 14:51
.....you walk the hot blacktop mile into Catawba VA to treat yourself to a night at the B&B and the AYCE supper only to find both are closed that Wednesday. (however, the General Store does make a damn good cheeseburger..... :)
Ditto for the Port Clinton Hotel - I had the misfortune to reach Port Clinton on a Monday; the one day it's closed! So I forewent the burgers and "small" fries.

ATSeamstress
08-07-2005, 15:02
Or cell-phone, lol.

:D

Ha! I get that one a lot too!

TOW
08-07-2005, 16:01
You wake up in the night with you heart pounding because you heard a bear snorting in your camp, only to realize it was you snoring......hahahaha, been there done that and along with that one........your sound asleep and the owls start their eerie ranting and raving with their shrills and whistles and you begin to dream that your right in the middle of an intense fire fight or an owl is about to swoop down on you and take your hiking puppy away.......i hate it when sounds abound when you are asleep, makes you dream some dreams.....

jlb2012
08-07-2005, 16:36
... when you pick a good looking campsite only to find that a whipperwill "owns" it and proclaims his ownership starting at 3 am

attroll
08-07-2005, 16:38
When you and your other Administrator don't see eye to eye on something. :)

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2005, 16:55

eye for an eye ..tooth for a tooth ....

leaves us all blind and toothless ;)

SGT Rock
08-07-2005, 17:07
I guess that is the price we pay for how we have decided to do things. Personally I think it is part of what makes us better than some other sites - because we cannot make decisions in a vacuum from each other. there isn't one all-powerful admin who rules with an iron admin function:-?

I still love you brother :D

Alligator
08-07-2005, 19:35
your admins kiss and make up in public. Eewwww. Get a private chat room or something.

smokymtnsteve
08-07-2005, 20:15
You plan a trip for a week and the morning you get up to go you are throwing up.

I can fix that... ;)

Big Dawg
08-07-2005, 20:19
I can fix that... ;)

Hmmmmmmm,,, I wonder how?? :D

TOW
08-07-2005, 20:27
sgt rock and attroll agree to disagree sometimes, that's life....

Air Head
08-07-2005, 21:55
An Ensign with an idea

or maybe a LTJG with a plan.
heh... you and rock make me think that joining the air force was a good idea, after all. : )

Just Jeff
08-07-2005, 23:34
What's worse...a ensign with an idea, or an ensign with NO ideas?

I know, I know...just gotta crack on the officers whenever you can... :p

I hate it when the commander's offhand remark somehow turns into a tasking as it rolls downhill...to me.

And when I wipe the condensation off the tarp with my back as I crawl out of the hammock in the morning. How fun.

Tha Wookie
08-08-2005, 00:09
I guess that is the price we pay for how we have decided to do things. Personally I think it is part of what makes us better than some other sites - because we cannot make decisions in a vacuum from each other. there isn't one all-powerful admin who rules with an iron admin function:-?

I still love you brother :D
yeah, but what about the shadow admins? Don't think we don't know about your secret organizations! It's bipartisan knowledge!:sun

SGT Rock
08-08-2005, 00:15
yeah, but what about the shadow admins? Don't think we don't know about your secret organizations! It's bipartisan knowledge!:sun
Watch out Wookie, the Sports Jugglers will put you on moderated posts only if you keep trying to expose them :eek:

Just Jeff
08-08-2005, 00:18
Naw, he's safe. I hear he's got an "in" with the Illuminati...

fiddlehead
08-08-2005, 01:00
you wake up in the morning and decide to go to the internet cafe and there would be no new posts on whiteblaze that day!
(just kidding, it'll never happen)

ffstenger
08-08-2005, 01:30
You proudly show off your pictures from your hike and the person flips through them quickly and states that "If you've seen one (mountain, creek, shelter, privy, deer) you've seen 'em all"

K-Bear
08-08-2005, 08:56
You pack up and strike out before dawn....make good miles before breakfast and then you pass the group you passed yesterday at lunch....going the other way!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!

The worst is trying to slip past your shelter-mates (now awake and making breakfast) so they dont know you just went 10 miles in the wrong direction. :o

MOWGLI
08-08-2005, 09:37
You proudly show off your pictures from your hike and the person flips through them quickly and states that "If you've seen one (mountain, creek, shelter, privy, deer) you've seen 'em all"

Yeah, but you gotta admit, there is usually nothing more boring than having to look at someone elses pictures. The only thing worse is looking at someones home movies. *YAWN*

NoKnees
08-08-2005, 20:30
When you spend two weekends making a Hungry Howies Quilt, buts its July and so hot you can only lay beneath your new pride and joy for about a minute at a time.:datz Now I am just waiting for Labor day to take it to the Sierra for a few days.:jump

neo
08-08-2005, 22:25
or you wake up with the runs:cool: neo

bogey
08-12-2005, 00:08
you wake up in the morning and decide to go to the internet cafe and there would be no new posts on whiteblaze that day!
(just kidding, it'll never happen)
I HAVE had that happen, having been off-line for a day or two, and get ready to satisfy my "fix" of Whiteblaze, and when I click on "New Posts" I get some sort of error message of the variety that nothing satisfied my search, and I KNOW I've just missed zillions of probing and meaningful posts.:confused:

SGT Rock
08-12-2005, 00:15
Do an advanced search, and you can search for all posts made after the last time you were on line.

SGT Rock
08-13-2005, 22:07
Don't you just hate it when....

Your doing trail maintenance and lay your leg open with a machete and bleed all over the place which ends your trip prematurely :(

Sly
08-13-2005, 22:57

Your doing trail maintenance and lay your leg open with a machete and bleed all over the place which ends your trip prematurely :(

Ouch! You did that Rock? Heal fast and well.

SGT Rock
08-13-2005, 22:58
Yes, like a dumbass. I felt so stupid.

Sly
08-13-2005, 23:00
Oh man, happens to the best of us. Which is a good indication it wont happen to me! ;)

SGT Rock
08-13-2005, 23:03
My oldest said it was avoidable :eek:

Little smartass :D

smokymtnsteve
08-13-2005, 23:48
well i hope you had some of that ole demon alkyhol with ya!

best wishes for a speedy recovery

smokymtnsteve
08-13-2005, 23:51
and also thanks rock now all the trail clubs will make us get machete training and certifications :D

Ramble~On
08-14-2005, 00:12
Don't you just hate it when you stop for a second and are painfully brought to the realization that your foot is in a yellow jacket nest.:eek:

Ramble~On
08-14-2005, 00:22
Oh Yeah....

I also hate it when I check my lottery numbers and find out I didn't win again which means I have to go back to work instead of a walk to Maine.:datz

Youngblood
08-14-2005, 06:59
That's a tough one Sarge... hope it wasn't too bad. How difficult was it for you to get out of there and were stitches required?

Youngblood

PKH
08-14-2005, 08:07

Well, yeah Sarge, come to think of it, I do hate that.

Get well soon,

PKH

SGT Rock
08-14-2005, 08:31
Naw, Steve, no demon alcohol. But I would like to have some tonight.

The cut is about 1/4 inch deep int he center and 6" long - but when it was bleeding that was harder to assess. So it really wasn't that bad, but with the blood flowing at the time I thought it was prudent to just quit working and head back to civilization in case there were issues. I guess it could use stitches, but I would rather not do it, I just hate going to the doctor for a number of reasons, #r 1 being is I feel like a sniveling wussy whenever I go to the doctor even for a physical. Probably because when I was a private that is what we we called for going on sick call for anything lower than objects protruding from you :D

I cleaned it out good immediately with clean water while the blood was still flowing, then dressed it with a military compression bandage that I carry when doing trail work in case of just such an emergency. Then when I got home I peroxided it, closed it up, and glued it shut with some liquid bandage stuff and topped it off with Neosporin and a gauze bandage to protect the wound. It throbbed and it stung at the same time, but the pain ain't too bad, I've certainly felt worse in my life. I think in a few days I can start running again. The blade was clean (I just sharpened it the day before) and I have an up-to-date tetnus shot, I think I'll be OK, but maybe I'll have a cool scar - someone told me chicks dig scars :sun