PDA

View Full Version : Bmt

Seldomseen
08-22-2013, 20:57
Has anyone hiked the BMT thru GSMNP lately?

HooKooDooKu
08-22-2013, 22:33
I've been on sections of it this year. The only comment I have on it is that the last mile on the approach to Mt. Sterling (heading North) is the worst mile of trail I've ever hiked. Seems like if you're not on rocks or dodging horse poop, you're walking through mud the width of the trail (with no way to step of the trail to go around).

Dogwood
08-23-2013, 01:46
Yes last month as well as the AT.

Seldomseen
08-23-2013, 06:24
What's the lakeshore trail like? Are their any campsites I should avoid?

Seldomseen
08-23-2013, 06:24
There any I mean.

Gambit McCrae
08-23-2013, 09:41
In may I left 20 mile ranger station at 2 am, hiked up and over the AT and down to campsite 91. got up saturday at 8 am and hiked 20 miles. sunday 25 miles, and ended at the tunnel with 6 miles on monday. The trail is well kept, campsites are designated and clean. Only gripes I have on that trail is for 1, horse poop and lots of it lol. Second is the mileages are WAY off from the map. Not much to see through that section, Historic Proctor and alot of Fontana Lake at about 700 feet above water level lol Saw a good size rattler on sunday other then that just a bunch or hogs

Dogwood
08-23-2013, 13:59
What's the lakeshore trail like? Are their any campsites I should avoid?

Lakeshore Trail generally parallels Fontana Lake. It's neither flat or always on the lake. Actually, by far, most of the time it is not. It definitely DOES NOT afford regular views of the lake from directly on the Lakeshore Trail. Perhaps, it's better hiked in the Fall or when the trees haven't fully leafed, if you're looking for more far reaching views or greater views of the lake. It's not one of the more crowded trails in GSMNP and especially so in that regard compared to the AT. Water isn't a problem as you get a decent variety of streams, creeks, rivers to cross as well as being near some springs. And, of course there's lake access quite a few times. LT affords access to historical sites(towns, mines, cemeteries, cabins, barns, buildings, etc).

I can't think of any particular campsites to avoid on a regular basis for any particular reasons.

TNhiker
08-23-2013, 14:08
ill second everything dogwood says about lakeshore.......

if yer into historical elements---you may want to budget extra time........plenty of cemeteries along that trail, some are maybe a mile ish from trail.....

most of the campsites along lakeshore are kinda nice.....

some are used by boaters, so typically there's "upper' and "lower" sites.......boaters generally prefer the lower sites which are a little more used up......most of the upper sites are a bit cleaner and what not...

Campsite 86, 90 and 74 are the most popular campsites along the trail and typically have the most amount of people in them.........

nothing bad about the campsites, just they tend to get crowded at times......

IMO---campsite 81 is a great spot that most people dont stay at......

Seldomseen
08-25-2013, 17:52
Thanks for all of this. I am changing my trip; I'm going thru the GA section on the BMT. Know a safe place to leave the car around Ocoee for ten days? And a shuttle?

Dogwood
08-25-2013, 20:26
http://www.bmta.org/Shuttles.htm

I think it best you approach it by contacting shuttlers first and see what they say. Ron Brown in Ellijay GA seems the closest to the GA/TN BMT border. You might make a shuttle request post on the BMT site or address the question there as well. In my mind, a good place to get off is at the Ocoee River on TN Highway 64 between Cleveland and Ducktown TN but this is more than 20 trail miles north of the GA/TN border. You might consider leaving your car at the Thunder Rock CG at the BMT Hwy 64 crossing or possibly Ocoee River Whitewater Center about 4 m down Hwy 64 towards Ducktown.