PDA

View Full Version : Bear spray or pepper spray....what's the difference?

Candy Korn
08-22-2013, 23:45
What is the difference between bear spray and pepper spray? Which is stronger?

rocketsocks
08-22-2013, 23:49
One of the main differences is, Bear spray can legally be used on Bear, where pepper spray cannot, unless labels so....I have no idea about the strengths.

Marta
08-22-2013, 23:57
The active ingredient in bear spray is the chemical that makes hot peppers hot. What differentiates bear spray from other pepper sprays is the amount you're packing, enough to spray for up to ten seconds, and the distance it will shoot, generally 12-15 feet.

The ideal way to use the spray is to form a vapor barrier a dozen feet away so the bear will run into it, will immediately feel his eyes and nose sting, and will lose interest in you and just worry about making the stinging stop, and run off. I've seen it used this way to get a bear to move out of the vicinity.

In a much more dire situation, when a bear had one of my coworkers by the head and shoulder, my coworker was able to grab the spray with his free hand, spray the bear, and was released. I didn't witness the attack, but I've seen the scars.

You do have to pay attention to wind direction, and you also need to know that bears move incredibly fast. You need to be bear aware, as well as carrying spray, in places where it might be needed.

Candy Korn
08-23-2013, 00:03
So if I were to just carry one can of bear spray for all defensive purposes, that would be fine?

Sarcasm the elf
08-23-2013, 00:04
One of the main differences is, Bear spray can legally be used on Bear, where pepper spray cannot, unless labels so....I have no idea about the strengths.

To add to that, EPA approved bear spray is legal in all 50 states. Pepper spray's status varies from state to state. Most notably, it is a felony to possess a can of pepper spray in Massachusetts without a permit.

rocketsocks
08-23-2013, 00:07
To add to that, EPA approved bear spray is legal in all 50 states. Pepper spray's status varies from state to state. Most notably, it is a felony to possess a can of pepper spray in Massachusetts without a permit.
Excellent point...know the rules, it'll save you a lot of legal aggravation.

Symba
08-23-2013, 00:13
It is illegal to possess the sprays in certain states. I told a secretary once to have a can of Wasp spray close at hand if she was worried about an unruly individual coming the office. Wasp, not W.A.S.P. spray, haha sorry, wasp spray works very well if robbed.

Marta
08-23-2013, 00:22
It's wicked stuff, not to be used frivolously. Also, the can is quite bulky. Sprayed by mistake, it will clear a building for hours.

Sarcasm the elf
08-23-2013, 00:40
It is illegal to possess the sprays in certain states. I told a secretary once to have a can of Wasp spray close at hand if she was worried about an unruly individual coming the office. Wasp, not W.A.S.P. spray, haha sorry, wasp spray works very well if robbed.

That's really bad advice to give. Wasp spray isn't made to be used in humans and you WILL find yourself arrested if you choose to use it that way. That bit on the package that says "It is a violation of federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling" isn't a joke.

Just for fun, here are a couple of google search results for "wasp spray self defense"

http://oklahomapersonaldefense.com/waspspraymyth.html

http://www.popville.com/2010/12/mpd-no-you-may-not-use-wasp-spray-for-self-defense/

http://www.hoax-slayer.com/wasp-spray-substitue-pepper-spray.shtml

Symba
08-23-2013, 01:12
It is wasp spray or nothing. She had wasp problems. Advice was actually redirected from a police officer. I know, they aren't all geniuses.

Rocket Jones
08-23-2013, 06:13
In the East, I think of bear spray as a comfort item. Not really needed, but if it makes you feel safer then go ahead and carry it. One of my hiking buds carries it because of his dog. He also had a close encounter some years ago in SNP where both he and the bears (momma and cubs) were startled. It made quite an impression on him. :D

As someone said above, situational awareness is the best thing you can use to deal with potential bear encounters. Pay attention and many times you'll see them before they notice you.

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2013, 07:41
There is a huge difference in volume and stream. Pepper spray for protection is a short 6 foot stream. Bear Spray is a 10-30 foot cloud

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7sme9HSirf4

rickb
08-23-2013, 07:45
Bear sprays are typically much larger than OC sprays marketed for self defense. Self defense spray can be as small as a tube of lipstick (many choices, though). As such, the bear sprays need to be carried in holster while the self defense sprays can be carried discreetly in one's pocket. Does that make a difference? Depends when and where you want access to it. In the cab of a pickup after throwing your pack in the back? At a shelter area when you go for water or are at the picnic table making dinner? Another thing to keep in mind is that while there are some minimal chemical concentration standards for bear spray, that does not hold true for the sprays marketed for self defense. If you go that route, you want the same or better quality the police use. A good gun store might be a good place to buy. History suggests that for all the potential reasons that spays might help protect yourself on the AT, risk from bear is essentially so low as not to be a factor.

fertilizer
08-23-2013, 08:49
Keep in mind that for bear spray to be effective, one must be able to reach it quickly. Bear spray stored in your pack will be of no help if a bear suddenly charges because you'll have no time to get it out.

Hill Ape
08-23-2013, 09:33
I've been hiking the southern Appalachians for 30 years. In that time never once have I had a dangerous encounter with a bear, or lost food to a bear. My most significant meetings, I just take a picture. Then yell, BAD BEAR GO AWAY. I think it hurts their feelings, they always leave.

IMO bear spray is high on the list "top ten items inexperienced hikers pack, then drop in a box"

Deacon
08-23-2013, 09:45
I've been hiking the southern Appalachians for 30 years. In that time never once have I had a dangerous encounter with a bear, or lost food to a bear. My most significant meetings, I just take a picture. Then yell, BAD BEAR GO AWAY. I think it hurts their feelings, they always leave.

IMO bear spray is high on the list "top ten items inexperienced hikers pack, then drop in a box"

Totally agree. Bear spray unnecessary for eastern black bears.

Greyson2
08-23-2013, 13:21
Sorry Hill Ape, i'd have to disagree. Been in GSMNP exactly one time to hike and that one time i had a pretty serious Bear encounter where i WISHED i had something more than a stick. Bear spray will be on my hip the next time i can promise you that. Maybe it was luck that i had the encounter, but nonetheless i will be prepared next time not doubt about it.

The Ace
08-23-2013, 14:17
Sorry Hill Ape, i'd have to disagree. Been in GSMNP exactly one time to hike and that one time i had a pretty serious Bear encounter where i WISHED i had something more than a stick. Bear spray will be on my hip the next time i can promise you that. Maybe it was luck that i had the encounter, but nonetheless i will be prepared next time not doubt about it.

What is a "pretty serious bear encounter"? Were you harmed? Did the bear take your stick away?

Wise Old Owl
08-23-2013, 14:26
Ace let it go - you weren't there.

Pathfinder1
08-23-2013, 14:40
Hi...

It's about time everyone cleared all of those urban legends regarding bears and bear spray out of their heads...!!

Just google "Dr. Tom Smith biologist and bear expert" for everything you ever wanted to know about it. You just might be surprised...!!

The Ace
08-23-2013, 14:40

Which is exactly why I asked the question. I may be there next time and would like to know the poster's experience for my own preparation. I would think such information would be useful to those reading the different views on carrying bear spray.

Mr. Bumpy
08-23-2013, 14:46

Are you quoting a line from Stand by Me?

Game Warden
08-23-2013, 18:09
The first rule of dealing with bears is to understand that east of the Mississippi, you will only encounter black bears, who DO NOT want to eat you. In states or places where they are not hunted, they might associate hikers with delicious fatty and sugary snacks, not high-protein human flesh. Just don't leave food or food residue around your tent or especially in your tent, and you will be OK. I have encountered lots of bears in the Pennsylvania woods, and usually all I see is their backsides as they run away, even sows with cubs. At least in PA, there is no wild animal that you need to fear.

MuddyWaters
08-23-2013, 19:35
Actually, a black bear wants to eat you more than a grizzly does. Often they will consume people after killing them.

A grizzly just has a bad temper, black bears have been known to predate on people.

But the reason the vast majority of bears dont, is they are not conditioned to think of humans as food source. That is why when a bear does predate on a person, or eat it, we immediately kill it. Sometimes kill several to make sure we got the right one. Bears are very quick learners.

However in the east, most every bears are conditioned to avoid people, but they do want the food if they can get it without a fight.

BuckeyeBill
08-23-2013, 23:45
I look at bear spray the same way I do first aid kits. I carry it and hope I never have to use it.

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2013, 06:37
Which is exactly why I asked the question. I may be there next time and would like to know the poster's experience for my own preparation. I would think such information would be useful to those reading the different views on carrying bear spray.

That's a tough decision, and a personal one. Although for years I have hiked in the woods, I have watched my dad have a close call with an Elk and I did with a buck in the rut, We both stood our ground in different situations. Now that we know that bear bells and other defenses are useless, If I was in bear country, yea I would buy a can and wear it, regardless if it is a real defense.

SawnieRobertson
08-24-2013, 13:25
Only a little over a week ago, the Wildlife Manager/trapper for this area a SW Virginia told me, without my asking, always to be armed when I hike on the trail. I responded, telling him that I do carry. I carry current-dated Counter Assault, which sprays 30 feet. He said, "Then you are armed." And that ended the conversation about the bears that are showing up around here this year.

max patch
08-24-2013, 13:39
If the reason you want to carry bear spray for protection from bears and hogs you don't need it. Unnecessary weight and expense.

If you are carrying it for protection against humans then I'll let you make that decision. I don't see the need to carry anything, others won't go out unless they are armed to the hilt. Your choice.

Game Warden
08-24-2013, 20:37
Yes, the woods and the creatures who live there are VERY dangerous, and you are VERY brave for daring to enter their domain. I'm being facetious, but it seems there's a significant minority who believe that, and whose time in the woods is defined by terror or bravado. It probably makes for good cocktail-party chat, but it's BS. Like Max says, the only critter you need to worry about is a certain bi-pedal primate.

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2013, 21:03
If the reason you want to carry bear spray for protection from bears and hogs you don't need it. Unnecessary weight and expense.

If you are carrying it for protection against humans then I'll let you make that decision. I don't see the need to carry anything, others won't go out unless they are armed to the hilt. Your choice.

Well that was the owl' subconscious thoghts that was to remain unspoken....

Symba
08-24-2013, 21:20
Yes, the woods and the creatures who live there are VERY dangerous, and you are VERY brave for daring to enter their domain. I'm being facetious, but it seems there's a significant minority who believe that, and whose time in the woods is defined by terror or bravado. It probably makes for good cocktail-party chat, but it's BS. Like Max says, the only critter you need to worry about is a certain bi-pedal primate. HE HE +1 on that. I live in an area of PA fifteen minutes from the AT in NJ if that makes sense to ya. Anyway, I walk six miles a day around the lake I live near. I almost always see a bear; actually, one visits my neighbors shed it tore the door off of the other night, that one is missing a foot. Seriously, it is missing a foot, he's been around since last year. Just don't bait the darn things and there won't be an issue. I walked past one just last night around 8pm on my evening walk. No biggie, we looked at each other, had a good smile, went our separate ways. All good, no weapons of mass destruction needed. I would hate to see one rabid though. ugh. A rabid beaver bit a boy scout last year at the river. Not cool.

Candy Korn
08-25-2013, 01:30
So I'm go an go with bear spray, not pepper spray. I will carry it just like I carry a first aid kit :)

Chris10
08-25-2013, 08:35
CK
Carry it if it gives you some comfort and/or peace. Extremely rare that you would encounter a bear, but to me it's one of those things you'd probably wish you had if you needed it, especially if you solo hike.

Symba
08-25-2013, 09:15
Comfort levels are different for everyone; happy to see you took into consideration the suggestions. Personally, I'd carry four cans of bear spray strapped to my waist belt if I was in grizzly territory. Though, don't fall and puncture any of them!:banana

Wise Old Owl
08-25-2013, 09:45
So I'm go an go with bear spray, not pepper spray. I will carry it just like I carry a first aid kit :)

The Ficticious First Aid Kit?
The one you pull all the bandaids out and replace then with usable drugs? Na Mate I don't carry one.

MuddyWaters
08-26-2013, 00:10
CK
Extremely rare that you would encounter a bear, but to me it's one of those things you'd probably wish you had if you needed it, especially if you solo hike.

Extremely rare to encounter a black bear that acts aggressive toward you may be a better way of putting it.

Bear encounters arent rare at all. Ive had 3 this year, 2 were pretty close. One ran at warp speed, one just stared at me and laid down and watched me, and a momma and cub walked by me about 30ft away and didnt pay any attention to me.

lemon b
08-26-2013, 15:58
I'm too old for the excess weight of some fancy new fangled spray or even the wheelgun. Too heavy never had that type of encounter and these days my reactions are not what they used to be so doubt if I could get anything into play anyway. I doubt if a creature were that hungry it wouldn't be just waiting for the fog. Any extra weight I carry is going to end up in my stomach.