PDA

View Full Version : I just saw the best AT documentary of all time.

strollingalong
08-23-2013, 02:08
Thru hiked last year (Suds) :D

I haven't been back to Whiteblaze for the longest time! since on trail I guess, wow. I miss it bad now!

I've seen pretty much all of the docs...Appalachian Impressions, North to Katahdin, 2000 miles to Maine, Trek, Walkin with Freedom to name but a few

But I just watched The Climb to Katahdin

It just BLEW ME AWAY. I loved every second.

As I just told Spiral .....I laughed, I cried, I smiled, I screamed, I jumped, I cried, I mourned, I reflected, I laughed, I smiled, I screamed and shouted, I cried again and **** me I loved it!

check out their facebook page and click like, because they just don't have enough for how good this is!

https://www.facebook.com/TheClimbToKatahdin?fref=ts

Damn! that was AT post-trail catharsis in 90 minutes! SOOOO amazing to see my summit photo at the end too :cool:

Sly
08-23-2013, 02:24
Whoever made the film should consider showing it at the ALDHA Gathering, Oct 11-13 in Shippensburg PA. There should be about 500 hikers on hand. Also a vendors hiker fair where they'll be able to sell the DVD.

http://www.aldha.org/gathering.html

PM me if you need any more detailed info.

strollingalong
08-23-2013, 02:34
Trailer on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_C9F-glyc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_C9F-glyc)

jj2044
08-23-2013, 03:36
where did you watch it ?

bfayer
08-23-2013, 05:44
Trailer on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_C9F-glyc (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lh_C9F-glyc)

Were you involved in the production? How did they get your summit photo?

lostinfflood
08-23-2013, 07:20
This looks great. I would love to see it.

Dharma Dog
08-23-2013, 07:56
http://www.theclimbtokatahdin.blogspot.com/

They're from my hometown.

Marmaduke
08-23-2013, 08:00
Wow. Just joined this forum yesterday........happy to say my first post is to proclaim my anticipation of viewing this film!!!

strollingalong
08-23-2013, 10:52
I wasn't involved in production....hiked with them for about 3 days....very unfortunately not more. lovely people..... they requested our summit photos on the facebook page a way back. :D

strollingalong
08-23-2013, 10:53
there's a showin in baton rouge i think today or tomorrow?

attemptedskater
08-23-2013, 11:30
Hey guys,
I appreciate everyone's interest! You know, a few months prior to the hike we posted a thread letting people know who we were and what we doing on the Trail, namely filming a movie. The response we got on Whiteblaze was terribly negative and discouraging as forums can often be. We pretty much haven't touched the site since then. I mean, we coulda defended ourselves but we'd rather just show everyone what we did than talk about we are gonna do. And make a movie we did. Funny story, upon reaching Manchester Center, a fellow hiker, then going Southbound, told us he saw our blog through Whiteblaze. "Oh, it's you guys. I never thought you guys were gonna make it this far." Two bad mental associations with WB.net. Not to mention our first maildrop was sent to Blairsville instead of Neel's Gap because of a Maildrop guide on here.

Get to the point, right? So, I let some of the hikers we hiked with screen the film which is how our good buddy, Suds, got to see it. How can you see it? I plan on touring the East. Starting from Florida and going up to Maine and back down South in the October-November months. I am currently trying to set up with community colleges, universities, hiking clubs, and outfitters. If you have a suggestion as to where to show it, please go to our FB page at facebook.com/theclimbtokatahdin (http://www.facebook.com/theclimbtokatahdin) and message or comment to me. I'll do my best to get there.

Aside from the tour, I'm shooting for no later than the end of the year to have The Climb to Katahdin available for the public. It's hard to wait that long, let me tell you. I want you all to see because I really think you'll like it. It's got something for everybody. Mind you, one of the main inspirations of filming this was to provide a look at what it takes to bring a dog on the Trail and that information just didn't exist in the form I was looking for.

Either way, our FB page is the best way to get updates. Let me know if you have a place near you that would interested in a screening.

Coltin
The Climb to Katahdin (http://www.theclimbtokatahdin.blogspot.com)

Oh, and thank you, Suds for that awesome review. Glad you liked it.

icdaywee
08-23-2013, 11:39
Thats cool! I'll have to check it out. Thanks for sharing

Slo-go'en
08-23-2013, 12:23
Funny story, upon reaching Manchester Center, a fellow hiker, then going Southbound, told us he saw our blog through Whiteblaze. "Oh, it's you guys. I never thought you guys were gonna make it this far."

That would have been me :)

I guess I might have to watch the movie...

joshuasdad
08-23-2013, 12:40
The trailer was awesome in itself. I would love to see this film.

moytoy
08-23-2013, 12:55
Hey guys,
I appreciate everyone's interest! You know, a few months prior to the hike we posted a thread letting people know who we were and what we doing on the Trail, namely filming a movie. The response we got on Whiteblaze was terribly negative and discouraging as forums can often be. We pretty much haven't touched the site since then. I mean, we coulda defended ourselves but we'd rather just show everyone what we did than talk about we are gonna do. And make a movie we did. Funny story, upon reaching Manchester Center, a fellow hiker, then going Southbound, told us he saw our blog through Whiteblaze. "Oh, it's you guys. I never thought you guys were gonna make it this far." Two bad mental associations with WB.net. Not to mention our first maildrop was sent to Blairsville instead of Neel's Gap because of a Maildrop guide on here.

Get to the point, right? So, I let some of the hikers we hiked with screen the film which is how our good buddy, Suds, got to see it. How can you see it? I plan on touring the East. Starting from Florida and going up to Maine and back down South in the October-November months. I am currently trying to set up with community colleges, universities, hiking clubs, and outfitters. If you have a suggestion as to where to show it, please go to our FB page at facebook.com/theclimbtokatahdin (http://www.facebook.com/theclimbtokatahdin) and message or comment to me. I'll do my best to get there.

Aside from the tour, I'm shooting for no later than the end of the year to have The Climb to Katahdin available for the public. It's hard to wait that long, let me tell you. I want you all to see because I really think you'll like it. It's got something for everybody. Mind you, one of the main inspirations of filming this was to provide a look at what it takes to bring a dog on the Trail and that information just didn't exist in the form I was looking for.

Either way, our FB page is the best way to get updates. Let me know if you have a place near you that would interested in a screening.

Coltin

I hope you understand why the negative reception of your first post on WB. There are many many claimes posted here by newcomers that amount to nothing that it's easy for members to get jaded. It's not fair but that's the way it is.

If you come anywhere near Orlando, Ocala, Gainesville or Titusville I'm there:)

Symba
08-23-2013, 13:15
There is a film festival local to me in a hippie-ish town a lot of NY/NJ people vacation to called Milford, Pennsylvania. The Black Bear Film Festival would be an ideal place to show this movie. I suggested this on your Facebook :D Hope you can make it there next year. You can actually see the High Point Monument next to the AT from my town. :D Love the AT. Love the Trail and what it represents!

dr.rock
08-23-2013, 15:06
where and when

Meriadoc
08-23-2013, 19:03
Thru hiked last year (Suds) :D

I haven't been back to Whiteblaze for the longest time! since on trail I guess, wow. I miss it bad now!

I've seen pretty much all of the docs...Appalachian Impressions, North to Katahdin, 2000 miles to Maine, Trek, Walkin with Freedom to name but a few

But I just watched The Climb to Katahdin

It just BLEW ME AWAY. I loved every second.

As I just told Spiral .....I laughed, I cried, I smiled, I screamed, I jumped, I cried, I mourned, I reflected, I laughed, I smiled, I screamed and shouted, I cried again and **** me I loved it!

check out their facebook page and click like, because they just don't have enough for how good this is!

https://www.facebook.com/TheClimbToKatahdin?fref=ts

Damn! that was AT post-trail catharsis in 90 minutes! SOOOO amazing to see my summit photo at the end too :cool:

Sweet! Can't wait for it to come north. Thanks for the review Suds, good to hear from you.

Hey guys,
I appreciate everyone's interest! You know, a few months prior to the hike we posted a thread letting people know who we were and what we doing on the Trail, namely filming a movie.

Coltin

Sweet! I'm glad it went well. I kept hearing about you but never managed to meet up on the trail. I hope to see your film when you come to Maine! (Hopefully on a weekend!)

Merry the Hobbit

bfayer
08-23-2013, 20:35
I wasn't involved in production....hiked with them for about 3 days....very unfortunately not more. lovely people..... they requested our summit photos on the facebook page a way back. :D

Cool. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing it.

Sarcasm the elf
08-23-2013, 21:31
Mind you, one of the main inspirations of filming this was to provide a look at what it takes to bring a dog on the Trail and that information just didn't exist in the form I was looking for.

Well you've got my attention.

I find it very difficult to explain to new hikers and potential backpackers just how much of a responsibility it is to backpack with a dog, how much training and preparation it requires, how many unwritten rules there are in order to have a dog make a positiive impression on other hikers and most importantly how rewarding it all is. If you're documentary shows all of this then it will be a welcome resource.

Miner
08-23-2013, 21:55
Negatigve response here? Other then people here not liking people self promoting before they have walked the talk, its never negative around here. Well, I did think that PETA was complaining about the dog cam though I personally thought the idea was brillant. The promo looks good so I may be buying it. I like watching hiker pron as long as it doesn't involve people crying and whining.

As someone who never cared how he looked on Facebook and never embraced his inner twit on Twitter, you need to get a website when you are ready to sell.

MuddyWaters
08-23-2013, 23:31
Its a trail journal

They also skipped a big chunk of the trail, from VA to NY?

Hill Ape
08-23-2013, 23:37
While it's true this site oftentimes does itself no favors, it's also true the trail is becoming over commercialized. The trailer looks great, I would love to see. But it doesn't give the impression of being a documentary on the trail, rather seems like just another video journal of someone's thru hike. Like the umpteen others on YouTube. Some are well done, hope this one falls into that category. Far as PETA, who cares. The dogs eye view camera is brilliant. And to a lesser degree, I care less the dog was off leash

Sarcasm the elf
08-23-2013, 23:39

What's wrong with that? Unless I missed it, I don't see any place on here or facebook where they claimed otherwise.

Furlough
08-24-2013, 08:59
[QUOTE=attemptedskater;1520537]Hey guys,
I appreciate everyone's interest! You know, a few months prior to the hike we posted a thread letting people know who we were and what we doing on the Trail, namely filming a movie. The response we got on WhiteBlaze was terribly negative and discouraging as forums can be often . /QUOTE] I am often amazed as well somewhat embarrassed by fellow Whiteblaze members negativity. It seems like they follow the adage of HYOH only as long as your way is their way. There are many on here who prove daily, that just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should. Furlough

MuddyWaters
08-24-2013, 13:05
I am often amazed as well somewhat embarrassed by fellow Whiteblaze members negativity. It seems like they follow the adage of HYOH only as long as your way is their way. There are many on here who prove daily, that just because you can say something, doesn't mean you should. Furlough

I think some may have a bias towards someone that PLANS to use the trail to make some sort of financial gain for themself.

But again, its only a trail journal with a bit of background music now and then, not a "movie".

The OP appears to be a shill, there is nothing in it to make you laugh, cry, etc.

It holds NOTHING for anyone familiar with the trail. It would give some imagery to those that know nothing about it.

They got burnt out in VA, figured they were never going to make Katahdin by Oct 15 at their snail pace, and skipped ahead to NY. As was, they made it by only a day or so. They carried too much weight and were very slow.

Congrats to them for having a hike they enjoyed, with their dog.

max patch
08-24-2013, 13:27
The trailer looks good. I don't know how the film will be marketed, the title of this threads calls it a "documentary" and as such I would expect it to be a hike of the complete trail. if not, this should be clearly disclosed.

MuddyWaters
08-24-2013, 13:38
It is a documentary.
It is a documentary of their incomplete attempt to thru hike with their dog.

A real documentary would give information about the trail, history, places on it encountered.
Nope. Nada. Zilch.
One can only infer that the creator actually knows nothing about those things.
Just when, where they are. And gratuitous toenail shots.

Furlough
08-24-2013, 14:50
I think some may have a bias towards someone that PLANS to use the trail to make some sort of financial gain for themself.

But again, its only a trail journal with a bit of background music now and then, not a "movie".

The OP appears to be a shill, there is nothing in it to make you laugh, cry, etc.

It holds NOTHING for anyone familiar with the trail. It would give some imagery to those that know nothing about it.

They got burnt out in VA, figured they were never going to make Katahdin by Oct 15 at their snail pace, and skipped ahead to NY. As was, they made it by only a day or so. They carried too much weight and were very slow.

Congrats to them for having a hike they enjoyed, with their dog.

Thank you for illustrating that point I made in my last sentence in post #25. Furlough

MuddyWaters
08-24-2013, 15:21
Thank you for illustrating that point I made in my last sentence in post #25. Furlough

I am not and was not negative toward anything they did.

I am giving an honest critical assessment of only the film as I saw it.

Calling it a "movie" or a "documentary " is being quite generous, IMO.

There may be a niche for it, I wasnt impressed for something intended to be marketed to the public. Not a free video on youtube, a money-making enterprise, which opens it up for harsh criticism. Viewing it WAS NOT FREE. As such I have the right, and very much the obligation , to critique freely.

I think with some narration about the places on the trail, etc it could be greatly improved.

It skips around fast, very fast. Gives the viewer a real lack of continuity, you also do not get to know anyone in the film at all.

Its..a compilation of daily trail journal video, with a smattering of music thrown in. Nothing more, nothing less.

strollingalong
08-24-2013, 15:23

Let me just say first of all, I misused a word in the title. Trail journal is a much more suitable word... tried to change it but it appears impossible.

I appreciate you accusing me of being a shill, Muddy. It made my day because I'd never been accused of that before.

I'm going to document that one between fustilarian and rampallian.

I can guarantee I did cry, laugh, scream, jump, lament and smile from ear to ear all the way through. It was the most fun I've had in weeks! :)

This is a beautiful video journal of the trail that brought back many delightful memories of last year and the friends I made along the way. It represented my thru-hike experience and reminded me of the beauty of this trail that we all love, although in different ways.

This fun and well-shot and edited trail journal will warm people's hearts and get hundreds of people even more excited and emotional for the trail. Much like all of us once did when we first found out about the Appalachian Trail.

Do you remember that first discovery? This was slowly or quickly followed by hours, evenings or whole days spent trawling through libraries, magazines, Youtube, Vimeo, online blogs and more just to find that other Appalachian diamond you had never found before to appease your insatiable appetite for day dreaming about and sharing others' experiences of the trail. This is now one more part of this exciting experience.

I admit on reflection that the word "documentary" was not the best word for the title and would change it if I could. Though I must admit that pedantic picking up on other's lexis (and grammar) online has and always will be the cornerstone and pride of the internet.

Have a lovely day and enjoy this video.

importman77
08-24-2013, 17:44
Let me just say first of all, I misused a word in the title. Trail journal is a much more suitable word... tried to change it but it appears impossible.

I appreciate you accusing me of being a shill, Muddy. It made my day because I'd never been accused of that before.

I'm going to document that one between fustilarian and rampallian.

I can guarantee I did cry, laugh, scream, jump, lament and smile from ear to ear all the way through. It was the most fun I've had in weeks! :)

This is a beautiful video journal of the trail that brought back many delightful memories of last year and the friends I made along the way. It represented my thru-hike experience and reminded me of the beauty of this trail that we all love, although in different ways.

This fun and well-shot and edited trail journal will warm people's hearts and get hundreds of people even more excited and emotional for the trail. Much like all of us once did when we first found out about the Appalachian Trail.

Do you remember that first discovery? This was slowly or quickly followed by hours, evenings or whole days spent trawling through libraries, magazines, Youtube, Vimeo, online blogs and more just to find that other Appalachian diamond you had never found before to appease your insatiable appetite for day dreaming about and sharing others' experiences of the trail. This is now one more part of this exciting experience.

I admit on reflection that the word "documentary" was not the best word for the title and would change it if I could. Though I must admit that pedantic picking up on other's lexis (and grammar) online has and always will be the cornerstone and pride of the internet.

Have a lovely day and enjoy this video.

I wouldn't apologize for calling it a documentary if I were you. That's what the producers are calling it. I haven't seen it so I can't give an opinion. I hope I will get the chance soon though. https://sphotos-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/p480x480/1170879_526990640708230_1871512100_n.jpg
(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=526990640708230&set=a.434905356583426.97041.430937183646910&type=1&relevant_count=1)

DavidDillow
08-24-2013, 20:13
how can we see the movie other than one of the public showings?

Slo-go'en
08-24-2013, 21:46
Its a trail journal

I suspect they also skipped a chunk of NH or Maine. I met them at Manchester Ceneter during the 3d week of August, so they had only just a bit over 6 weeks to finish 540 hard miles. The trailer doesn't have any clips of NH or southern Maine, but skips right to the 100 mile wilderness. Happens all the time, people start to run out of time and have to make that call whether to just keep going or skip ahead.

Be that as it may, I'm sure the film representa a fairly typcial experiance on the AT and highlights what they found to be important. No doubt they put a lot of effort into.

Second Half
08-24-2013, 21:47
DAMN, y'all are harsh. And cynical.