PDA

View Full Version : Are There Enough Trees to Hammock the JMT?

Deacon
08-23-2013, 09:18
Many of the pictures and videos I've seen of the JMT are wide open/treeless space. To those who've hiked the JMT, can it be easily done hanging a hammock each night, or is a tent more practical.

Just investigating the JMT for a possible hike in 2014.

sterling98
08-23-2013, 10:17
I hiked 180 miles starting in Yosemite earlier this summer. I would say you're good up until Muir Trail Ranch. It gets trickier after that but still doable. But if you hike during mosquito season you won't want to be anywhere near the low points where bigger trees are. I'm not sure about the last 40 miles. You may want to bring a pad instead of UQ so you can just put your tarp up between shrubs or with trekking poles.

Malto
08-23-2013, 10:19
Yes you could easily hammock. It would be a bit less flexible but not a major issue.

Dr. Professor
08-23-2013, 13:33
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91616-JMT-Shelter-advice

Dogwood
08-23-2013, 13:45
Flexibility, timing, planning, and organization would go a long way. If you're hiking say 10 miles or more each day you'll be in trees each day.

Deacon
08-24-2013, 07:11
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?91616-JMT-Shelter-advice

What a great in-depth discussion lead by Dr. Professor. That thread pretty much answers my original question. Guess I need to hone my search capability on WB. I'm trying to do searches on my iPhone, but is not as successful as on a computer.

Thanks again

wornoutboots
09-01-2013, 09:39
I just got off the JMT a few days ago & I's say yes. Depending on when you go, after MTR it'll be tough but you can cowboy camp if you can't find a place to hang if that works for you. I had NO bugs & cowboys camped many nights & it was amazing!!

Deacon
09-02-2013, 08:23
I just got off the JMT a few days ago & I's say yes. Depending on when you go, after MTR it'll be tough but you can cowboy camp if you can't find a place to hang if that works for you. I had NO bugs & cowboys camped many nights & it was amazing!!

Thanks for that input. What were the dates of your hike? I'm interested in the start of the no bug season up to the first snowfall.