PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee National Forest Near Hampton and Elizabethton, TN closed-Bear activity

fertilizer
08-23-2013, 10:18
http://networkedblogs.com/OmMEU

The AT near the affected area is still open to "thru hikers". It appears the bear activity isn't too close to the AT (someone correct me if I'm wrong), but the trail does run through the closed area North of Erwin, TN. Several Whiteblazers (myself included) are planning Labor hikes near the area and might be affected.

Tennessee Viking
08-23-2013, 10:53
Made an announcement on the front page.

fertilizer
08-23-2013, 12:05
awesome. Thanks!

jeramie75
08-23-2013, 17:10
I was thinking of doing 19E up to Damascus over the holiday week, for the purpose of this closure, would I be considered a "through" and thus able to go?

moldy
08-24-2013, 19:45
The Appalachian Trail is not closed. Poor wording of the statement by the Forest Service Public Affairs department has caused the confusion. It has to do with the term "through hiker" in the statement. To us here on whiteblaze it means something different then the Forest Service public affairs office. To them it means any hiker on the AT transiting through the area in question. The shelter at Watuga lake is closed. What possible reason could they give to allow some hikers to be eaten by bears but not others? The trail is open or it is closed.