PDA

View Full Version : Caribou Valley road Maine Passable? ?

rdljr
08-23-2013, 14:46
Does anyone know if Caribou Valley rd near sugarloaf is passable in a small truck? Is there parking near were it crosses the trail? Or who I could call to find the answers to these questions?

Thanks in advance

Lone Wolf
08-23-2013, 14:49
yes and yes

rdljr
08-23-2013, 15:34
Thank you very much.

peakbagger
08-23-2013, 16:15
Last thing I knew, the CVR was blocked off with concrete barricades a short distance east of the AT crossing. There is a bridge just beyond the barricade with a sketchy deck and approach. There is reportedly a parking area prior to the barricade there. Possibly due to the lost hiker search the barricades were moved but most report that the trees is growing in on both sides of the road so there really isnt a good reason to go past the barricade. This area get lots of use.

joshuasdad
08-23-2013, 17:12
Last thing I knew, the CVR was blocked off with concrete barricades a short distance east of the AT crossing. There is a bridge just beyond the barricade with a sketchy deck and approach. There is reportedly a parking area prior to the barricade there. Possibly due to the lost hiker search the barricades were moved but most report that the trees is growing in on both sides of the road so there really isnt a good reason to go past the barricade. This area get lots of use.

All of this is correct as of two weeks ago, and barricades were in place. Road was in decent shape, but in a couple of places, you should be careful as there is quite a bit of erosion on the sides of the road, especially about 1.8 miles from ME 27 (road barely 1 lane wide at that point).

dlwills
08-23-2013, 17:20
I was there on Sunday. You can drive in about 4 miles. A couple of the bridges are sketchy. There is a small area to park and a short walk up the dirt road to the trail crossing. Watch out for the white blaze to see the trail, otherwise, you will run right by it like I did. If you head southbound (on the left) you will come across a nice river crossing. I met my husband and cousin there Sunday when they were not expecting it. Gave them lunch, fruit and fresh water and an opportunity to slack pack the last nine miles to Rt 27 in Wyman Township. A couple of thru hikers got to have the food remaining in their food bags since with the opportunity to slack pack, they would not need the food they carried. The thru hikers were very appreciative.