PDA

View Full Version : Williamson 2013 PCT Record Attempt

Malto
08-24-2013, 13:35
According to PCT-L Scott is on another PCT hike, not sure that is a declared record attempt, not that that matters. Seen journal reports that put him at Whites Pass on August 18th. Hopefully there will be some Scott sightings that can give us a hint at the pace he is maintaining. Would love to see Scott recapture the crown.

Malto
08-24-2013, 13:53
Here is the official announcement of Scott's hike on FKT. It was posted by his wife a few days ago.

Hi, This is Michelle Turley, Scott Williamson's wife. Scott has asked me to announce his attempt to break the overall speed record on The Pacific Crest Trail that Josh Garrett just set supported at 59d8h14m. Scott will be doing this record in his usual style, self supported. This means he will NOT have anyone following, or otherwise meeting him in
prearranged manner to give him support. Scott plans to do this hike carrying all of his food, equipment,
and water between resupply towns, which he will walk into and out to pick
up prepacked and mailed food boxes or he will be purchasing food. Last but not least as in prior records he will not be getting in a vehicle for any
reason during this attempt.

Scott did not post his attempt for the speed record prior to his hike because Scott knew Anish was going to break his record and he was waiting to hear news before he made his finial decision and he was training in Washington prior to starting his hike. Meanwhile Josh also broke the overall speed record fully supported. Scott has decided to attempt to break the overall speed record, that Josh Garret set and holds, southbound on the PCT. Scott started at the Canadian Boarder on August 10th at 11:38am.

Scott sends a BIG congratulations to Anish for her outstanding job at breaking his current record and to Josh for the setting the supported record.

Del Q
08-24-2013, 14:34
Accurate reporting. The human endeavor continues.

Dogwood
08-24-2013, 21:29
Would not be surprised AT ALL if Scott snags the record. I love his style too! He's one of those hikers(people) who I have no problem saying "GO FOR IT!"

hobbs
08-24-2013, 21:59
Is there a site to Follow? Man PCT is busy..

frisbeefreek
08-24-2013, 22:17
Scott sends kudos to Anish but not supported Josh, then promptly announce he is going to try to break the FKT (set by Josh) in a self-supported style. Guess he doesn't like outside help. It'd be crazy to see 3 records set in one season

Sly
08-25-2013, 04:39
Scott sends kudos to Anish but not supported Josh, then promptly announce he is going to try to break the FKT (set by Josh) in a self-supported style. Guess he doesn't like outside help. It'd be crazy to see 3 records set in one season

Huh?

Scott sends a BIG congratulations to Anish for her outstanding job at breaking his current record and to Josh for the setting the supported record.

Scott doesn't accept outside help personally but there's nothing there to say he's opposed to it for others.

Just Bill
08-25-2013, 09:54
Awesome! Best...year....ever.

leaftye
08-25-2013, 20:48
I hope he pulls it off.

fredmugs
08-25-2013, 21:35
This is an interesting post. I just got back from doing a 200 mile section from Goat Rocks to Stevens Pass. On the night on Aug 16th I camped at Tacoma Pass on Forest Road 52. Right after eating dinner around 1930 a guy went flying across the road who I did not know at the time was Scott. I went in my tent and was reading and 20 minutes later a car pulls up and it was Anish out to surprise Scott the way he surprised her. I ended up talking to her for about 30 minutes (after she realized she missed him) and she said that Scott told her there was no way he was going to try and do a 60 day hike. Hmmmm.

I'm no world class athlete by far but I had 5 days of just over 20 miles and for either of them to be doing up to 50 miles a day is staggering.

Just Bill
08-25-2013, 23:55
LOL- you just had yourself an interesting evening fred- Has Anish's face gone back to normal or is it still stuck in that huge grin?:D

fredmugs
08-26-2013, 11:12
LOL- you just had yourself an interesting evening fred- Has Anish's face gone back to normal or is it still stuck in that huge grin?:D

There were a couple of times she said "I can't believe I was still on the trail a week ago." I didn't realize she was an ultra marathoner and a triple crowner.

Malto
08-26-2013, 11:15
This is an interesting post. I just got back from doing a 200 mile section from Goat Rocks to Stevens Pass. On the night on Aug 16th I camped at Tacoma Pass on Forest Road 52. Right after eating dinner around 1930 a guy went flying across the road who I did not know at the time was Scott. I went in my tent and was reading and 20 minutes later a car pulls up and it was Anish out to surprise Scott the way he surprised her. I ended up talking to her for about 30 minutes (after she realized she missed him) and she said that Scott told her there was no way he was going to try and do a 60 day hike. Hmmmm.

I'm no world class athlete by far but I had 5 days of just over 20 miles and for either of them to be doing up to 50 miles a day is staggering.

That is exactly where I met Scott in 2011. He wasn't on a record run then either, and we know how that turned out.

Mikey Appleseed
08-30-2013, 10:06
Typical...Guinness has offered to legitimize these records, but its too confusing for old bs records...They are only interested in the fastest person to hike the trail, not with weird, bendable rules. Why does Scott want the astisks on his records? Because his knowledge of the trail and resupply stategy is based on first hand experience and gives him an advantage...but that's slipping away. He once claimed he couldn't hike any longer or faster than 64 days...somehow no snow and a little luck and 2 ppl smashed it by 5 fricken days! Scotts typical rules he bends...having his gal tell of the attempt after he started...but hes so adamant of everyone else following these rules...Hmmm, sounds so fricken corrupt. Im done being even interested...I don't give a **** if he sat in a car! Who cares, almost all backpackers do it! But hes doing it with ethics like a backpacker...PLEASE! Laughable...

Just Bill
09-10-2013, 14:10
other than Mikey- any Scott updates?

fireneck
12-24-2013, 18:31
Bump. Any news on this?

Malto
12-24-2013, 18:59
He stopped about halfway through. I believe he got sick.

Marta
12-24-2013, 21:55
He stopped about halfway through. I believe he got sick.

Wow. That's too bad. But it does underscore the fact that it's never a cinch for anyone.

SCRUB HIKER
12-24-2013, 23:45
I read that he dropped out just past the halfway point (Chester) because of a bleeding ulcer. The word was that he had been on pace to break the record up til then.

I saw him on Saturday, August 24 in Oregon. He said that he and his partner, Zeke the Freak, were planning to camp at Three-Fingered Jack that night, which would be mile ~2015. So at the end of his 15th day, he would have been averaging 43 mpd at that point. Fast, but not record-breaking pace. He must have gotten up to record-breaking pace on the flatter terrain farther south.

SCRUB HIKER
12-30-2013, 18:55
Here is more information re: Scott's hike and his illness issues. http://fastestknowntime.proboards.com/post/1546/thread