PDA

View Full Version : Do it yourself clothes washing methods

greenmtnboy
08-24-2013, 17:26
I heard some do it yourself clothes washing methods to avoid the expense and trouble of laundermats:

Get a plastic 5 gallon bucket (at any hardware or paint store; Home Depot calls 'em "Homer Buckets.) and a toilet plunger (the old rubber type), and use laundry detergent with the bucket half or 3/4 full.

Use sun-warmed water and plunge the heck out of the well-soaked clothing in the bucket for about 5 minutes.

Works BETTER than a washing machine!

The Kent ACE Hardware carries the buckets and the plungers, and Hoosatonic River water works just fine!

I know this because I had some work shirts that even after 2 complete wash cycles in a $1000 front-loader wouldn't come clean. Used above method, and the bucket water was dirty from the "clean" shirts.

Yes, it's a hassle to buy a bucket (under $3), though the plunger can be disassembled and taken w/ you on the trail (weighs about 10oz total).

Another:

Hikers need an attitude adjustment.

I've been a hiker my whole life.

Wash your clothes in the rain when you can, or in streams you cross, there are plenty on the AT. Disinfect your clothing in the sun, or near the fire. It's not difficult, even in winter. Snow and crushed ice are abrasives, they make great soap for your cook pot as well.

If you're one of those hikers that needs mail drops, keep a clean set of clothes you don't wear on the trail in your pack for jaunts into town. Most hikers are allergic to carrying weight. It can be physical for some with smaller physiques. But it's mostly a problem of a weak will. It's mostly mental.

I'd rather no one off the trail even know I'm a hiker for personal security reasons. The odd times I went into towns was to get food resupply. I'd scrub down with a washcloth and soap and rinsed with collapsable water bladder similar to this, http://bit.ly/14y7vOu , put on my town cloths and left my pack in the woods.

I never needed a laundry mat, nor would I ever presume the town folk needed to bend over backwards for me. I don't expect that any other time, why would I expect it if I walked into an establishment disguised as a homeless person?

Most thru-hikers are complete slobs when they go into town. They spent months planning their trips, and their best plan involved doing laundry in a laundry mat where the owner is notoriously hostile to hikers? I don't really have sympathy for them.

Another:

"Good suggestions but the problem is often drying, the risk is mildew, with the nasty odor that is."

Pro tip:
All clothing in your pack is dry. The only wet clothing should be what you're wearing, or what's strung between two twisted bungees hooked to the frame of your pack. Twist the bungees, pull them across the back of your pack, then hook them to your frame. Then just hang your clothes like you would on a towel rack, only they're between the twists. Hike on.

If you don't have a frame, then punch some grommets in the fabric on the sides of your pack then use the hooks of the bungees in the grommets...2 grommets per side.

But an article today showed that even 'mats' don't really leave clothes that clean: http://www.lewrockwell.com/2013/08/no_author/bacterial-soup%E2%80%A8/

Venchka
08-24-2013, 19:33
Washing clothes:
If you pay good money for a room with a shower...
Wear your trail clothes into the shower. Scrub down. Rinse off. Roll wet clothes in a towel to get the bulk of the water off. Hang wet clothes over the tub. Use a hank of para cord to rig a clothes line if needed.
Repeat for all your dirty clothes, socks, hats, etc.
Put on your clean town clothes. Go have a burger & and a cold drink. Or 3. Burgers, that is.

Wayne

Rasty
08-24-2013, 19:35
Washing clothes:
Wear your trail clothes into the shower. Scrub down. Rinse off. Roll wet clothes in a towel to get the bulk of the water off. Hang wet clothes over the tub. Use a hank of para cord to rig a clothes line if needed.
Put on your clean town clothes. Go have a burger & and a cold drink. Or 3. Burgers, that is.

Wayne

+1 The looks my wife gave me when I did this while car camping was priceless

greenmtnboy
08-24-2013, 21:13
Washing clothes:

Wayne

It takes too long for the clothes to dry. Plus many motels will offer washing facilities and dryers at reasonable cost. Thorough washing and drying remain the challenges. The weather is a huge obstacle to many do it yourselfers....

Symba
08-24-2013, 21:15
Washing clothes:

Wayne
Exactly what I do unless the motel has an available washing machine/dryer which some may. I never went to a laundry mat on my thru hike.

Wise Old Owl
08-24-2013, 21:19
OK. when wearing waterproof Poly pro and Tech dry socks .... take shoes off and submerge at a deep pool below where people draw water... Jump out... Hike ten miles.. 3 miles should be dry... I feel fine in 10 minutes...

I did do this ... I had a green horn boy scout in front on a canoe ... I gave him some tips and he didn't listen,,, we capsized three times... I was a happy canoeist... it was a 16 miler and I did not get upset..

kayak karl
08-24-2013, 21:21
what is this high cost of washing you speak of?

MuddyWaters
08-24-2013, 21:32
I wash clothes out in a sink, using a few drops of camp suds soap.

Wring dry

Roll up in towels if you have them to blot, hang whatever.

Put on, they will be dry relatively fast if you are wearing light synthetic clothing.

Slo-go'en
08-24-2013, 22:10
Every once in a while a real machine wash is manitory. Unless you can combine loads with a few other hikers, it does seem to be an awful expense just to wash half a dozen things which barely covers the bottom of the tub.

In between, the shower wash works well. In the summer it's nice to rinse the sweat out of shirts and undies fairly frequently. For that I use a plastic grocery bag to wash in. They weigh basically nothing and take up little space. Not real durable, but easy to replace.

levibarry
08-25-2013, 00:04
Used a ziplock bag, saw a thru hiker on PCT do that. Away from water source though. Hang on what is available.

Sly
08-25-2013, 04:48
Used a ziplock bag, saw a thru hiker on PCT do that. Away from water source though. Hang on what is available.

I was taught that method by a 17 year old and his kid brother that were also thru-hiking the AT in 1997. They used a gallon ziploc, and warmed the washing water with a stove, before rinsing a couple times with fresh water.

It's probably not as thorough as a 5 gallon bucket and toilet plunger, but a lot lighter.

Rocket Jones
08-25-2013, 09:53
Not DIY, but alternatives...

Not really practical for a backpacker, but I've seen crazier things carried:
http://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Washer-Operated-Washing-Machine/dp/B003SQ7I5S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

For car camping or long-term power disruption:
http://www.laundry-alternative.com/index.php/products/washing/the-wonderwash.html

Or for the dual-use folks, carry an old-fashioned washboard. Laundry and musical instrument all in one. :)

Another Kevin
08-25-2013, 10:34
I do like being a little less filthy on the trail than most hikers seem to, so I carry a Sea to Summit collapsible bucket for rinse water. Wash water can go in the cookpot, and even get warmed up. It works for washing clothing, the cookpot, coffee filter, cup and spork, or me. Or, as several others suggested, wash in a ziploc as you walk and then rinse in the bucket.

Don't wash in a stream, please. There's always someone else downstream who will appreciate your restraint. Dispose of your wash water 150+ feet from a water source.

A Sham-Wow from the dollar store is great for wringing wet clothes in. I used to say, let stuff dry in warmer weather by finding a way to hang it in your tent vestibule, but last summer I had a porcupine steal my skivvies from there while I was sleeping. I'd have washed them before hanging them up, but I was making a dry camp and at least wanted them to air out some. Apparently, porkies crave salt enough that they're willing to brave hiker funk to get it from sweaty skivvies.

Just Bill
08-25-2013, 11:22
I like my platy water tank (4L) for field washing- depending on what's up weather, dirt, and town time wise- bout once a month as Slo mentioned is right for an "official" wash. Sorry to Lone Wolf it- but in the spirit of the original post-

"You kids wash your clothes too much. Nothin' wrong with gettin' dirty. (Buncha Sallies, Mumble, Grumble, mghmmfff)"

Bronk
08-25-2013, 14:43
Really this begins with your choice of clothing. A pair of nylon jogging pants can be washed in a sink and wrung out in about 2 minutes to the point where they are just damp and when worn will be dry in about 20 minutes. Likewise for a synthetic tshirt.

Another Kevin
08-25-2013, 15:41
Really this begins with your choice of clothing. A pair of nylon jogging pants can be washed in a sink and wrung out in about 2 minutes to the point where they are just damp and when worn will be dry in about 20 minutes. Likewise for a synthetic tshirt.

Yeah. It's socks that seem to stay wet forever.

icdaywee
08-29-2013, 13:05
Using the same concept as http://www.thescrubba.com/ .. I plan on rinsing out my clothes as needed (if I'm not in/close to a town) by utilizing a sea to summit dry sack. Hopefully this will help a little with my hiker funk...